Home Chapter One Our Vegan Lifestyle Likes Comment-Free

Support Your Local Potter

Thursday, December 3, 2009

Lately I've really gotten into handmade pottery. I bought Christopher a rad "Sasquatch" mug for Christmas last year (you can read about that here, its a pretty funny story if you've got the time), and I was given this mug (well, a similar one) as a gift from my friend Megan over at Lemonade. I've browsed bowls and baking dishes on more than one occasion, but just can't justify buying any for myself yet. As a gift for somebody else, yes, but for myself, probably not. I keep thinking "what if Eleanore drops one and breaks it?", even though she uses plastic toddler dishes and I rarely give her a "Mommy and Daddy plate". Or what if Christopher drops it and breaks it (if you've read the Sasquatch story, you'll completely understand. Here's another chance, haha, you can read it by clicking here). Or worse, what if I'm the one that breaks it? Then I only have myself to blame, and lets face it, sometimes we feel better when we have the reassurance of knowing that its somebody elses fault (its in our nature, we're never proud of it).

When I first moved here to Abilene, I met this really rad girl, Saybra. Shes an awesome photographer, great taste in music, and obsessed with coffee (seriously, obsessed). We've only hung out a few times, twice maybe (moms, do you find that its hard to find the time to hang out with non-mom friends? its not just me, right?), but shes the type of person that you feel comfortable around, even though you've only met them once before, not awkward (know what I mean?).

The last time I went over to her house, she had mentioned that her husband was a potter, and I remember seeing a few pots laying around, but didn't think much of it. We were there to workout anyways (she lives kind of far away, the reason for our planned workout partnership failure). Something else I noticed, she really likes Gilmore Girls, haha.

Ok but back to the pottery part. And this is so cute-


Not only is her husband, Brandon (you can read his blog, "support your local potter", by clicking here), a potter, but they are having the cutest traditional (this is something that they do every December) right-out-of-their-house, pottery sale. Brandon has an etsy shop, PhillipsPottery, but this weekend they're opening up the doors to their home, serving hot apple cider and cookies (omg, is your heart melting yet?), and doing things the old fashioned way- out of love (don't laugh, yes I really just said "out of love").


For those of you who are local, this event is taking place this weekend at their home showroom, the address is 1049 T& P Lane. If anybody is interested in stopping by at a time other than when the actual event is taking place, has any questions, or wants to gush at Saybra about how freakin' cute her and her husband are for doing this (I know, I've said cute at least 10 times in this blog post), her email is Saybra@gmail.com.


For those of you that aren't local, please take a minute and stop by Brandon's Etsy shop. All of his pots are made from hand-mixed clay and glazed with all natural, and often local materials. No artificial chemicals are used in any of these processes, which makes the pots straight from the earth to the table. All of the pottery is completely functional- microwave, dishwasher, oven and food safe (!!!).


Yes. A very cute event indeed.

5 comments:

Alyssa S. December 3, 2009 at 11:31 AM  

I went back and read the Sasquatch mug story....LOVED it. I adore pottery...I always have. My mom did some serious ceramics when I was growing up...but stopped when I was in the 3rd grade when she decided to go to college. She has the amazing Nativity set she made...the camels come up to my knees. The are the most beautiful things.

Some areas have "paint your own pottery" shops. Just before Amelia was born, we found one in North Conway, NH when we went up for our "last weekend alone with no kids" and we both painted our own coffee mugs. We left them there for the store to fire and finish glaze and they mailed them to us at home. It was SO fun...one of these days I need to find if they have any around here so Amelia can make something.

Reneesance December 3, 2009 at 12:37 PM  

There's nothing as comfortable as a hand thrown coffee mug methinks.

On the six degrees of separation front your friends pottery blog has a potter blog roll that includes Dan Finnegan, I lived in Fredericksburg, VA for years where Dan's pottery shop was and he used to stop by the coffee shop I worked at occasionally :) He has the worlds best beard!

soul_searching_mama December 3, 2009 at 12:51 PM  

I wish I lived in Texas (only for this) so I could go to their event and support them! I will have to peruse their etsy shop in the next couple of days. :) Thanks for sharing! Oh, and you won an award on my blog today, so check it out when you get a chance. :)

Christina December 3, 2009 at 2:11 PM  

Sounds like a great thing to go to during the holidays! So cozy. I also haven't bought pottery for myself but I am always looking at it on Etsy.

Hobocamp Crafts December 4, 2009 at 5:31 AM  

Love their pottery! So gorgeous. When we visited my SIL in Hawaii a few years back, we hit up a pottery sale and I found one of my most cherished mugs. Always feels better when you can put a face with your purchase.

THank you for your wonderful comment. To think someone I never met was as involved with my life as I felt I was theres! It was really nice to have a friend during my 1st pregnancy- whether near or far! And you continue to be so helpful and just a great woman to know. A great mama to learn from, an awesome GF baker( um can you write a book already?!), a crafter and an all around fun-maker!
Keep it up mama xo

Post a Comment