Home Chapter One Our Vegan Lifestyle Likes Comment-Free

My 30 Day Shred, Results

Monday, July 20, 2009

So I did it you guys. I finished the 30 Day Shred. Actually, I finished a week ago, but haven't gotten around to taking before and after pictures. I say "haven't gotten around to it", like I've been soooo busy, and there wasn't a single second that I could have set up the tripod, but really... I just didn't want to.

You may or may not have read about the peanut fiasco (sorry, I'm not letting it go so easily, and will probably bring it up every day for the next month). If you don't feel like going and reading the original post, the overview is, my husband sabotaged my weight loss (unintentionally, he claims) by hiding an extra 600 calories in my would be healthy late night snack. This making my weight loss for the most part, a fail.

By now you've probably skipped over these past few paragraphs, and gone straight to the pictures. I had to up the antie on the dramatic visual effects, just like they would in one of those awful infomercials for various weight loss products that you see at 3am while feeding your should be sleeping through the night by now baby.

Sorry for the run on sentences today, I'm multi tasking. Between trying to write this blog entry' and trying to start my week, Monday is surely winning.

Lets talk about the Shred for a minute. Some of you found my blog by googling "30 Day Shred before and after", or "30 Day Shred results", maybe something similar. You're wanting to know how skinny it will make you. Right? I hate to break it to you, but miracles in the weight loss department, don't happen in 30 days. Unless you actually go on the show, The Biggest Loser, or land yourself in the hospital with some awful body eating disease, you're not going to lose the weight that you're probably looking to lose, in just one month. Who am I to tell you that, though? Hopefully you already know that, and you probably just going to google for reassurance that doing this workout routine will give you some kind of results. Hoping to find inspiration in somebody else who has already gone through it. You don't want to commit yourself to do something that isn't going to work. I know. I've been there. I think I even did those same google searches before I started the program myself. And what I learned is, your body isn't going to change, unless you want it to change.

The 30 Day Shred is not easy. It kicked my ass (was going to use the word butt, to make this rated "G", but butt doesn't sound as intense as ass does).

Did the 30 Day Shred change my body? Yes. Did I lose weight? Yes. "How much, how much?!?!" ...Ugh. I promised everyone I'd do this, so lets get it over with before my bravery dissolves into embarrassment.









After I posted those pictures, I buried my face in my hands, and peeked out through a crack in my fingers. As if you could see my cheeks flush? I hated posting these pictures. Hated. Hate hate hated. But I promised so many of you that I would, so I had to.

As you can see, not much of a difference. Because my total weight loss, throughout the entire 30 workouts, only added up to 4 pounds. But if you look closely enough, (which I hope you won't, because then you'll be able to see my wicked wedgie that makes these pictures that much more embarrassing. Even so, I wasn't about to retake them) you can see that things tightened up. In the first picture, with my back turned to you, my arm tattoos have a little less skin under them afterwards. Less fat, really. 30 days ago I could barely get down on my knees and do a girlie push up, and now I can hop down and do man push ups next to my husband. Not a lot of them, but its a start. Jillian gave me arm strength. In the middle pictures, the profiles, you can see that I carry a little less double chin, and... well that's about it. When I look at those pictures, I don't see much of a change at all. I don't see the change, and you probably can't either, but my measuring tape does. Thank god for my measuring tape. And in the last picture, the front view, I look fatter. Yep. Maybe because its that time of the month, or maybe because this time I took the pictures before working out, so my shirt isn't stretched in the least like it was after the first picture was taken. Either way... awesome *bangs head on desk*.

When I run into people at the store, or at the park, they all tell me how great I look, without me having to mention my constant workouts or fish for a compliment. Its flattering, and I really need to hear it, because after seeing these pictures, I feel like a failure. And did I mentioned I was sabotaged with a half a cup of peanuts a night? ...sorry. I told you I couldn't let it go. Along side the handful of people that have given me compliments, I have my trusty measuring tape to strangle me with sanity. I wrap it around my skin, pull it tightly, and it sings sweet melodies at me.

-bust: 44 ...44 (no change, I'm breastfeeding)
-bra Band: 36 ...35 (1 inch)
-waist (above belly button): 39 ...35 (4 inches)
-hips: 44 ...42 (2 inches)
-upper thigh: 23.5 ...22.5 (1 inch)
-lower thigh: 19 ...16 (3 inches)
-calf: 15.5 ...15 (.5 inches)
-upper arm: 12.5 ...12 (.5 inches)
-bicep flexed: 13 ...12 (1 inch)

So there you have it. I lost some serious inches.

My personal opinion of the 30 Day Shred, is that its a perfect jump start into a healthy lifestyle. Its given me the strength and endurance to challenge myself with new workout routines, and now I don't have to wear SPANX to get my pants buttoned. When I first started it, I didn't think I'd be able to get through an entire routine without throwing up, but turns out I could, and I did it 29 times after that. I graduated from level 1, to level 2, and eventually took on level 3. And if I can do it, anyone can do it.

23 comments:

Rachel July 20, 2009 at 11:48 AM  

I can ABSOLUTELY see a difference!!! Congratulations sweetie! That is fantastic!

Amanda July 20, 2009 at 11:51 AM  

Congrats! The truth is in the measurements & compliments!

I moved onto level 2 2 weeks ago (I've done 8 days). I skipped 2 extra days last week ... and I DOUBLED the inches lost! 4" to 8" in one week ... WOW! (i've eaten better this week though... but still!)

I'm planning on sticking to level 2 until it gets easy like level 1. then onto level 3. i'm going to do level 3 for 30 days. then i'll graduate onto more interesting & varied workouts. :)

jessicajane July 20, 2009 at 12:12 PM  

4 lbs is a really good weightloss tia. because if you think about it, 1 lb a week is ideal when trying to lose weight. losing 5 lbs a week is unhealthy.

i was reading up about walking, and to lose a lbs a week you have to burn 3500 calories. or take 3500 calories out of your weekly diet..or some shit.

im not gunna lie, your pic with you making the fists, is really cute.

Amy July 20, 2009 at 12:51 PM  

I totally see the difference in the back pic! And I noticed the difference in your chin right away. I think the reason you look fatter in the last set is that the waist band on the pants is tighter -likely because it's pre-workout, like you said, or because there's not as much resistance as there was before.

(Also, I noticed that your lips are way more red in your after pics. That's amazing!)

*wink*

Giggly July 20, 2009 at 1:23 PM  

Awesome Tia! You are my inspiration!! Huge congrats to you my dear. :-)

muffintopdesigns July 20, 2009 at 2:13 PM  

you go girl!!! love love love you! xoxoxo

Samantha July 20, 2009 at 2:22 PM  

awesome work! I can definitely see change!! You should be proud of yourself for sticking to it! :)

OliveStreetStudio July 20, 2009 at 6:54 PM  

Yay for you! I can really see a difference in your face between the last pictures - and more 'definition' in your arms. BTW, I'm AMAZED by your tattoos. :-) Are you going to continue for 30 more days??

Amy July 20, 2009 at 9:47 PM  

Awesome!! I'm in a similar situation- I've lost less than 10 pounds, but my body has CHANGED from working out- I have no doubt that I've lost fat and gained muscle (as cliche and fake as that sounds).

Congratulations!

Heather Jerdee July 20, 2009 at 9:48 PM  

Yesssss!!! First of all you look beautiful!!!
Following this has been really inspiring and as a woman and a mom I can relate in so many ways. I'm proud of you Tia and since I'm proud of you I'm gonna learn how to be more proud of me. Cause this is hard but it can be done and none of us are alone. Thanks for sharing,and being brave Tia!

Hybrid Hopes July 20, 2009 at 9:58 PM  

shit, lady, you look great. repeat "muscle weighs more than fat" until you believe it, 'cause it's true.

peace!
steph

Chubby Stubby Kay July 24, 2009 at 7:16 PM  

Tia...

You look FAB-U-LESS!

I can definitely see the difference and Wow- You are one hot Momma!

Congrats on finishing the 30 Day Shred and sticking with it!

Seeing your pics has definitely inspired me to stick with Shredding!

Powered by Tofu July 31, 2009 at 3:18 PM  

I like that you did the full pictures! I just finished the 30 Day Shred Challenge too, but I only did before/after abs pics. Oh and in IMO the circuit training style is more about toning than weight loss anyway, so 4 lbs is great!

AnnMKnapp August 20, 2009 at 3:33 PM  

Yes, I came across your blog by Googling "30 day shred results". Anyway, thanks for your bravery! You look great! I think it's harder to lose weight while breastfeeding, which I am also doing right now, but I'm hoping to at least see some results at the end of this.

Anonymous,  October 9, 2009 at 12:10 PM  

Wonderful, just the sort of info I was looking for. :) I'm almost at goal weight (40 lbs gone! Thanks sparkpeople!) and got the 30DS to try and tone up and lose inches, not necessarily weight.

That toning/inches lost result you got is amazing! Great job! Did you just do the shred every day or did you do other cardio/take rest days? I'd planned on adding the shred into my normal stuff (running, kbells, tae bo...) a couple days a week and still have my one rest day off a week.

Also, I would STRANGLE my SO if he was feeding me tons of peanuts!!! STRANGLE! I think you're justified in bringing it up forever. ;)

Tia Colleen October 9, 2009 at 12:47 PM  

Have I seriously not taken the time to respond to any of these comments? GAH! Sorry friends- I'll do it right now.

Rachel- Thank you. That makes me feel good that you can see the difference. Hearing it from somebody other than my husband, is awesome.

Amanda- Thanks girl. Did you ever end up finishing the workout. What were your very end results like?

jessicajane- you're totally right, 1 pound a week is the perfect amount of weight loss, very steady and healthy. I shouldn't have been so hard on myself.

Amy- YAY for no more double chin, haha. Apparently the shred works for your chin muscles? And comes with a tube of lipstick with proof of purchase *wink back*

Giggly and muffin- Thanks mama's!

Samantha- I am proud of myself for sticking with it, thanks! That seems to be the hardest part about a workout routine, is not getting bored. There were times when I REALLY didn't want to do it, but how would I know if it worked, without doing it right, ya know?

Olive- Thank you!! I haven't gotten a new tattoo in forever *sigh*, between childbirth and breastfeeding and more pregnancy and- ugh, someday I'll get back into the swing of things. And no, I didn't continue on with the shred. I was so sick of the shred by the time I finished, I never wanted to do it again, haha. I'm now doing the couch to 5k training, and its GREAT. I've got 5 weeks of training behind me, and dangit, I WILL run 3 miles without stopping.

Amy- Good for you!! The difference in the way we feel, is amazing, isn't it?

Heather- awww, you made me feel all fuzzy. I'm so glad that this inspired you. I hope that you were able to achieve some of your goals. This is the exact reason why I posted all of my embarrassing pictures and measurements. HUNDREDS of people have seen these photos, and that scares me to death. But if its helping somebody, then it was worth it.

Hybrid (steph!)- Thanks sis. Can't wait to visit home lookin' all hot and stuff!

Chubby Stubby Kay- :) Thanks for the support girlie.

Powered by Tofu- Good job!!

City- It IS harder, isn't it? Ugh. So challenging sometimes. But even if we're not losing the weight, we know its good for our bodies, right?

weeona- I'm so glad that I could help. Really. Glad that you could find a little inspiration in my measurements, hehe. And ya know, its been a few months now, and I've slowly loosened my grip on the peanut fiasco. I'll let my husband live afterall, haha.

Jenessa November 4, 2009 at 4:43 PM  

You look amazing! There is a huge difference! Keep up the good work! i just started and it totally kicked my ass too!

Halladay Family December 30, 2009 at 1:06 AM  

I just looked on google for 30 day shred results (im stacy by the way) you were the first on there so i had to look. It looks awesome! Congrats with it!! My husband and i are thinkin about going to try it as a new years resolution. (i have baby weight i wanna lose) I also loved your sarcasm you can tell have an awesome personality!! Well congrats again! =)

Anonymous,  February 26, 2010 at 4:45 PM  

You can definitely see a difference!! You look great!!! So much more toned!

I just finished the 30 Day Shred yesterday and I definitely noticed a difference too. I lost 10 lbs but I swear I look like I lost 20!

Thanks for sharing your story!

Anonymous,  March 30, 2010 at 11:55 AM  

Hola, I have been doing the shred now in my seventh week. Unfortuneatly I knew if I tried to do it everyday for 30 days I would fail miserably. The first time I did it I was sore for 5 days!!! Lol shows you how pathetically out of shape I was. The second week I did it twice because I was still sore for a few days after the 2nd time. Since then I have done it 3-4 days a week. I am determined to lose weight by summer! I have two kids am 5'5" and sadly weigh 170 lbs. I have always been pretty muscular for a chick. I am a size 13 and have been for 10 years!!! Just sick of it. Anyway, just from that regimen I have lost no lbs but a 1/2" in each arm and an inch around my bustline. Not enough to be stoked but trying to up my game by doing it 5 days a week. Weekends are chill an beer time which is probably my problem! I have been trying to eat better, and I have but still need to improve in that department. I thought for sure since the video kicks your ass (which it seriously does) that by now I would see some light at the end of the tunnel. But your pics are inspiring for me to keep going. I don't expect miracles, but do expect some change. I didn't want to get burned out by doing it everyday, been there did that, didn't last long of course providing no results. Sorry for the book, but any inspiring words or tips would be awesome!!! Sarah

Tia Colleen March 31, 2010 at 10:57 AM  

Janessa- Did you end up finishing?? How did it go?

Stacy- Thank you :) Did you and your husband end up taking on the shred?? Did you lose that baby weight? (I'm currently packing on NEW baby weight, oy, gonna need to shred again next fall after the baby comes)

nduff- AMAZING! Good for you, 10 pounds is amazing. I bet you look great!

Sarah- I was definetely feeling sore, like CRAZY sore after the first time I did the shred. I remember crying when I was walking up and down the stairs. Literally, crying. Good for you, for being so determined to lose weight. Thats an amazing attitude to have. Just remember that nobody can get in your way, other than yourself. Just consider it as part of the new you, and do what you have to do to be healthy. The way I look at being fit is, I have to lead by example, and I want my children to grow up healthy. I try to work it in as often as possible, fitness I mean. Not necessarily working out, but, keeping busy, staying moving. GOOD LUCK!! Will you check back in and tell me how it went for you??

Smarty Pants May 6, 2010 at 2:13 PM  

Your tummy is MUCH flatter in the after picture... that's where the most dramatic change can easily be seen. Also, your jawline is more defined in the after pic, which might indicate that you have lost more than 4 pounds of fat (by gaining some muscle). You did a great job. You have no reason to be embarassed and only every reason to be proud - 30 day shred is no walk in the park.

Traveliztera July 23, 2010 at 6:43 AM  

Before I started the Shred, I read this entry and this really motivated me. Thank u! :) I just finished another round of the shred and posted the results onto my blog... Thank u for inspiring me! :)

Post a Comment