Home Chapter One Our Vegan Lifestyle Likes Comment-Free

Week 19

Friday, December 4, 2009


This week for Flashback Friday, I thought it would be fun to dig around in my photo box and pull out an old picture of me sitting on Santa's lap (hes real, you know). If we're friends on Twitter (if we're not, click the word "Twitter", and lets change that!), you might have seen my tweets about doing a sort of theme (we've been working with themes over at the Mama Dramalogues, a really fun Mom-blog I participate in, and I thought it might be a fun idea to apply to Flashback Fridays- we'll see if it sticks or not) this week.



As a kid, one of the things that I especially loved about Christmas, was getting to dress up. Always getting a new Christmas outfit (every year without fail, I could count on it), whether it having been given to be my Grams (oh how I miss her, what a beautiful woman she was), my Grammy (who I'll be seeing in just two weeks!!), or my parents (3 weeks and I'll be greeting them at the airport!). Having something special to wear around the holidays made me feel special. It made me feel beautiful. Even as a child, beautiful isn't how I would have ever described myself. Its funny how a layer of cotton can affect your overall well being, isn't it?

In the picture, I'm wearing a simple denim skirt, and a long sleeve white tshirt. Its nothing fancy. Its very plain, yet classic. And I felt beautiful. Look at the huge grin on my face. I was sitting on Santa's lap, telling him what I had hoped that he and his elves would magically bring me for Christmas that year, dressed in my very best. Pretty little girls must be good, right? Surely he must have known that I had gotten this new skirt just for him. Surely, he'd see that I was good, and oh so deserving of that new Candy Land board game. I had played it once at a summer camp style daycare at the school, and I just had to have it.

Since I've had kids of my own, its been very important to me that they have special Christmas outfits as well. I'd hope that they feel beautiful all year round, but there is just something about having a brand new skirt and tights to twirl around in beside the lit up Christmas tree, that can instantly warm your heart and put a twinkle in your eye. Well, for us ladies at least (tee hee). I'm not so sure Charlie will feel at all the same about his green sweater vest (baby's first Christmas!!). In the past I've spent a small fortune on finding the perfect dress for my daughter, but after seeing this photograph (thank you so much Aunt Laurie, again, for sending me all of these old memories), I remember that its not what the dress looks like, or how much it costs- its the simple fact of its beautiful existence. Any Christmas outfit, is a special outfit.
---------------------------------------------

Want to play along?? Simply add your link to the list below! You don't have to be a blogger to play, you can use whatever photo hosting or networking site you prefer. Please link from your flashback, back to this flashback, so that we can get more and more Flashbackers each week. This is my favorite post of the week, and I read each and every post that y'all write out and share. So much fun!

Oh, and since I'm testing the waters of flashback themes- next week feel free to post a picture involving holiday decorations. Lights, nativity scenes, trees, whatever you might have. I've got the perfect picture, I can't wait.

16 comments:

Unknown December 4, 2009 at 10:30 AM  

I feel the same way. I was a big tomboy when I was little so it wasn't often I appeared in a dress but when I did boy did I feel good! I also do that for my girl (now that I have one). I try to find that perfect dress for the holidays.

Unknown December 4, 2009 at 10:40 AM  

Seriously, that is the cutest picture ever. And I was admiring your outfit before you even said it was special. White tights, a denim skirt and a white t-shirt was Gracie's staple outfit last year... and her cutest!

I always had a special outfit for Christmas, too, and I've done the same for my kids!!

This Little Bird December 4, 2009 at 11:01 AM  

so cute. I too always grew up with a special Christmas outfit and have since then passed that on to my children. This year I will be making them matching outfits for Christmas... I'm excited.

Alyssa S. December 4, 2009 at 11:04 AM  

I'm sorry that in all of the pics I've managed to swipe from my mom over the years, I've never been able to nab a Santa pic. I was such a shy kid, every year I looked like I was about to pee my pants! I never got a special Christmas outfit :( Then again, we lived in Hawaii and I'm sure in most of those old pics I was wearing a sundress and flip flops!

I love your pic...even though behind that beard, Santa doesn't look too stoked to be there :)

soul_searching_mama December 4, 2009 at 11:19 AM  

I love the post! And just FYI--you were a beautiful girl & are now a beautiful woman (new outfit or not)! :) It is always nice to have a new Christmas outfit--it adds to the special feeling surrounding Christmas. :)

Devon December 4, 2009 at 12:32 PM  

aww.. i love jean skirts with tights on little girls! it's so cute!

i think i was opposite of you.. i hated dressing up on the holidays!! (at least from like 7 or 8 yrs on up!) now i don't mind it so much! :)

Oh Mandie December 4, 2009 at 12:36 PM  

hahaha!! I gotta tell you, I got a new jean every year to wear for Christmas, usually accompanied by a new turtle neck and back then, even though I was like 7 or 8, I always thought that I was hot stuff.

You looked so adorable in your pic, and you really did look beautiful!

I on the other hand looked like a hot mess, with my black and blue tomboy legs sticking out of my Jordache skirt and my feathered rats nest of a hairdo hairsprayed stiff into a helmet.

Ahhh the 80's!!

M.M.E. December 4, 2009 at 12:47 PM  

Wow, you're brave. I had a terrible fear of people in costumes when I was little so there are no pictures of me with Santa. In fact, I'm still scared of them so I doubt there will EVER be pictures.

Mommy Elephant Sarah December 4, 2009 at 1:12 PM  

That is a great photo!! I love the star seat!! I wonder if I can find any Santa photos of myself!

Crafty Mama December 4, 2009 at 1:23 PM  

You look so happy! We always got new clothes for Easter, not Christmas.

Santa's expression is cracking me up. It looks like he's counting down the hours until his shift ends so he can hit the bar.

April December 4, 2009 at 1:41 PM  

Is it me or does Santa look a little pissed???

CraftGirlAlli December 4, 2009 at 2:59 PM  

I can remember getting a new outfit to wear on Christmas Day every year! When I was still pretty little, I would get so excited about Christmas, that I'd end up getting myself sick. So, we have a lot of Christmas pictures that I'm wearing one of my grandpa's t-shirts b/c I got sick on my dress! haha...I love looking back at those!

Giggly December 4, 2009 at 4:26 PM  

What a cute pic of you all dressed up! :) I used to love getting fancy too. I bet your kiddos will look super adorable for X-Mas too. :)

Sarah December 5, 2009 at 8:49 AM  

OH my gosh - I am in love with that picture of you. What a pretty little girl! You look so happy.

As soon as I move and get my life back in order, I am going to start doing your Friday Flashbacks.
I love 'em.

XOXOXO

Unknown December 6, 2009 at 10:27 PM  

i always got a new outfit or two for christmas and always, always couldn't wait to put it on hefore going to the family get-together at my grandparents and checking out me cousin's new gear.

oh the memories!

you look so happy. santa looks like he's had enough, ha!

iampalegreen December 8, 2009 at 1:19 PM  

Look how excited you are! I love it! I have a hiliarious picture of my sister and I on Santa's lap. He was either mentally handicapped or drunk. I should dig it out and scan it up!!

Post a Comment