Home Chapter One Our Vegan Lifestyle Likes Comment-Free

Candy Bar Mummies

Thursday, October 14, 2010


Its an unwritten law, that once you add googly eyes to something, it instantly comes to life.

This law should most definitely be applied to Halloween candy.



"Hellllooo thaaarrrr!"

See.
Its alive!

Alright, alright- I have a confession to make. I've been avoiding googly eyes for as long as possible. I've been steering clear of crafts that involve both tiny plastic eyeballs, and/or pipe cleaners, even though I live in a house with 3 children under the age of four. I knew that once I opened the front door for handmade pipe cleaner people, they'd never ever leave, and I'd be up to my neck in googly eyes for the rest of my life.

There are worse things though, right?
Construction paper turkey hands.
Which we're totally making this November.

Hey I have a knock knock joke for you.
Eleanore made this one up.
You ready?



"Knock knock".

Whos there?



"Googly eyes, ahhh-hahahahahahah!!!!"
And this is followed by her nearly falling out of her chair from laughing so hard.

So anyways, this year, we thought we'd do something fun with our Halloween candy...



How about candy bar mummies?!
Right?!

Last year we did little hand stamped skull pouches of tootsie rolls, but this year we thought we'd step it up a notch, and hand out the good stuff.

Well, we argued about it first, though.

We just recently gave up sugar, so Christopher wanted to pass out apples instead of candy, but- really? Apples? Come on.

Bad things would happen if we passed out apples.
Um, and candy is cheaper.



See, they agree.

So heres whatcha do...



Grab your basic mini Hershey's candy bar- wrap it in crepe paper (cut the roll in half to make thinner strips)...



Get your knock-knock-whos-there-GOOGLY EYES, some regular ol' craft glue (Elmers)...



Now, while making your very best googly eye face, which also doubles as a pirate face (yarrr)- apply your googly eyes, and VOILA!



Candy bar mummies!!

Now, if you're excuse me-
I'll be wrapping mummies for the next 2 weeks or so...

18 comments:

Charmaine Poulin October 14, 2010 at 7:06 AM  

Those are awesome! I think I may help the kiddos make some for their class Halloween parties!

Colleen October 14, 2010 at 7:15 AM  

Very cool. I love googly eyes... you can put them on anything, trust me I know. :)

You could always give out packs of pretzels. (I did that once, but my kids have never forgiven me.)

They call me mommy... October 14, 2010 at 7:55 AM  

Really great idea Tia! looks like loads of fun! I love Eleanore's joke i told it to Julie and she started cracking up (she is a bit of a joke maker herself) and i love her Strawberry Shortcake bandana, it totally makes me want to make some for Julie...and maybe myself too! YAY!

Amy October 14, 2010 at 8:41 AM  

ONLY two weeks? Aren't you optimistic!

Cute idea.

Anonymous,  October 14, 2010 at 8:47 AM  

Ahhhhh! The cyclops is my fav!!!!

Petals October 14, 2010 at 8:51 AM  

They are super cute. I love it!

rachel October 14, 2010 at 8:59 AM  

those are awesome! makes me want to get crafty, kinda!

Jessie C October 14, 2010 at 9:09 AM  

OMG. That is so cute and creative. Love it!

beka October 14, 2010 at 12:11 PM  

Ohmyword, Ellie and those mummies are adorable!!

April October 14, 2010 at 12:16 PM  

Love it!! I like the one eyed ones the best!

carlotta cisternas October 14, 2010 at 1:25 PM  

This post made me laugh! I've always loved googly eyes ;) And what a great idea!

Rogue Wild October 14, 2010 at 2:57 PM  

great job Elie!! you could totally do Frankenstein too with green crepe and a black crayon to draw on the stitches! I wonder if my boys (since they think they are SOOOO old now) would think this is fun? hhhhhmmmmmm ;o)

Devon October 14, 2010 at 3:10 PM  

Love Eleanore's "googly eye face"... LOL! We don't get trick or treaters... so I will live vicariously through you!

jill October 14, 2010 at 5:51 PM  

you are so unbelievably creative. i love it. i also love the one- googly eyed monsters best!

Anonymous,  October 14, 2010 at 11:29 PM  

Those are so cute! It will definitely be a treat for the trick or treaters! I can't even imagine how many apples you'd find in your lawn afterwards.. haha. Candy mummies are a good choice!

Chelsey - The Paper Mama October 17, 2010 at 1:43 PM  

Ummm... passing out apples on Halloween is a very bad idea!

I think those are the cutest things ever!

Unknown October 18, 2010 at 10:09 AM  

what a super cute idea - we might have to try this!

Post a Comment