Home Chapter One Our Vegan Lifestyle Likes Comment-Free

Jumbo GF Chocolate Chip Banana Muffin

Saturday, June 5, 2010


This was quite possibly, the best muffin I've ever had in my life. Thats not saying that I don't love blueberry or lemon poppy seed, because I do I do, but- theres just something special about a big fluffy chocolate chip muffin, that cannot possibly be replaced by any other taste or texture. It takes me back to my childhood. I don't think I ever had chocolate chip muffins more than once or twice, but those two times were enough to make a lasting imprint in my palette, and in my heart.

I don't typically make sweet treats just for the heck of it. I try to give them as much nutrition as possible, and I try to make them so that everyone in the house can eat them, despite our varying food allergies. That being said, I've got a sweet tooth just like the rest of you, and I can be bad too!

Ok, so I back up my "being bad" with adding bananas into the mix, thinking that maybe the potassium and fruity goodness will counteract all of the naughty chocolate and sugar that I loaded into the bowl- and voila, see! I am such a rebel.



So the other day, when I realized I was sick of chopping nuts and I couldn't stand to eat not even one more blueberry, I looked in the pantry and there right at eye level, was a bag of Enjoy Life chocolate chips, staring at me- taunting me.

"Tiiiiiaaaaaa. Eeeaaaaaatttt uuuuusssssss", the chips called out, in a creepy scooby doo cartoon ghost voice.

"No no, I shouldn't!", I said, turning my head away and dramatically closing the pantry door. But... wait. I stopped myself. I opened one of my squinted eyes, leaned back in the direction of the almost closed cabinet door, and- they got me! I grabbed the bag, only half full (thats the way I see the glass, in case you've ever wondered), and tossed it onto the counter beside the rest of my soon to be used ingredients.

Chocolate chip, banana muffins it is then.




Jumbo GF Chocolate Chip Banana Muffin Recipe

Ingredients:
-2 cups gluten free baking mix
-1/2 cup cane sugar
-2 tablespoons flax meal
-2 eggs, beaten
-1/2 cup melted smart balance
-1/2 cup soy milk
-1 & 1/2 very ripe bananas, mashed with a fork
-1 & 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
-1/4 teaspoon almond extract
-3/4 cups chocolate chips


You don't have to use my homemade baking mix, you might try using a different self rising baking mix (Pamela's, Bob's Red Mill, whatever you've got on hand). I haven't tried this recipe with any other mix though, so- be warned :)

Now keep in mind, these are Jumbo muffins. Texas sized. The big ones. Like the giant ones that you pick up at gas station mini marts and coffee shops. I'm sure you can make these in regular sized muffin tins too, but its just not as much fun that way, hee hee. If you are going to do it the boring way (*yawn*), you'll need to adjust your baking time (ok but I'm probably going to make normal sized muffins this weekend, so who am I to yawn? haha).

How you make them:
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees, and line your cupcake pan with paper liners.

Mix your dry ingredients together in a large bowl- the flour, the sugar, and the flax meal. Mix your wet ingredients in a smaller bowl- your smart balance, soy, beaten eggs, mashed bananas, vanilla and almond extracts. I do this all wooden spoon style.

Pour your wet ingredients into your dry ingredients. Mix mix. NOW, the totally rebellious fun part- pour in your chocolate chips! Gently mix them in, and then evenly distribute your batter into your muffin liners.

The mix should be thick. Pile it high. It may look like too much, but its not, trust me?

Bake your jumbo muffins for approximately 35 minutes. They should be a delicious looking golden brown on top. You're not burning them, you're perfecting them. Transfer your finished muffins to a cooling rack as soon as you can. After about 3 minutes, I'm usually able to nudge a butter knife between the paper and the wall of the baking pan, and pop them right out.

These muffins should cool completely before being unwrapped and eaten, otherwise the paper will stick to the muffin, and you'll be sad. Store your muffins in the fridge, and eat after they've chilled.

Eat it whole...



Or cut it in half...



Either way, these muffins are like a celiac's heaven. A dream come true. A purring kitten on a rainy day.

Enjoy!!!

And if you're still hungry, view a healthier recipe for jumbo banana nut muffins here.

6 comments:

Alita June 5, 2010 at 11:55 AM  

Soooooo I must make this for the boys they look so delicious. Bonus for me is that I hate anything with chocolate chips (I know, I'm probably retarded) so therefore I won't gain one pound. The boys are GONNA LOVE THIS though. They sure do look fluffy and yummy.

Rachel Elizabeth June 5, 2010 at 12:52 PM  

These look pretty amazing and they make me wish that I did not have an allergy to chocolate.

beka June 5, 2010 at 11:03 PM  

*whistles*
Gosh, you ARE a rebel, Tia!
Hehee.
Ohmahlord. I really need to make some sort of huge muffin thing someday...soon. Y'know, just last night I made baking-powder biscuits and put them in a muffin pan. Of course, when the lovely things came out of the oven and the family ate them with jam, I was probably reading or blogging or reading someone's blog. Darnit.
But I heard they were awesome.

So . . . conclusion?
Things that come from a muffin pan are amazing;)

Chelsea June 6, 2010 at 11:03 AM  

Mmmmm.

thanks for making me fat. I'm about to go make me some muffins!

Yellow House June 6, 2010 at 1:41 PM  

I love the looks of these! They look so so good!

Post a Comment