Home Chapter One Our Vegan Lifestyle Likes Comment-Free

Red is Rad

Thursday, February 18, 2010


The truth is, I've secretly always wanted to be a red head. My natural hair color is a medium brown with a redish highlight. When the sun hits it just right, it has a shimmery flickr of auburn- its pretty, but...

My hair was black for years. Most of the time I kept it in a classic Bettie cut, occasionally experimenting with shorter A-lines, but... for the most part, I kept my hair the same. I always felt comfortable with the Bettie. I felt like myself.

This past fall I saw a picture of myself, and wondered who that washed out older gal in the photo was. Oh ick- it was me! The black had to go. It was time for a change. I took myself down to visit my favorite stylist here in Abilene, Miranda, and we gave me a layered cut loaded with highlights to lighten things up. I left the salon that day crying, partially because I was in the middle of yet another identity crisis (babies and toddlers, kids in general I guess, will do that to you), and partially because I thought I looked like more of a "mom", than I did "Tia". I played around with it and within a few hours I loved it.

I meant to get my highlights touched up before Christmas, but when we found out I was pregnant again, it got put off. And then at our first doctors appointment, our doctor gave us some interesting facts about the new studies done that link hair coloring (while pregnant) to autism. By this time, my highlights had grown out for over a mile, the blandness of my natural brown was taking over my entire head, and I was approaching my self esteem low, quick. Maybe a trim would help?


I bet a trim would have helped, had I gone to Miranda, my hair BFF. Instead, I just sat down in the chair, without really thinking, explained what I wanted, and then cried for an hour that night over the loss of my 4 inches of length, and lack of layers. I spent awhile on the internet the next night, trying to demise a plan to fix it.

The plan? ... I'd go red.

On Valentines Day, I went down to the salon bright and early, and was the first one there when they opened. I knew about the studies done that linked hair coloring while pregnant to autism, but I had colored my hair with both of my kids, there was no proof, and... "Make it red?", I asked. Miranda's eyes lit up. She had mentioned something about wanting for me to go red back when we had put in the highlights, but at the time, I was just too scared. She showed me the brightest red they had, and I nodded. If I'm going to go red, I might as well go red, right? While I waited for my color to turn (I'm never going to forgive myself if baby number 3 ends up to be autistic, but the likely hood of that is...), I kept my nose in my book, and constantly glanced up at the ticking timer, waiting for my 30 minutes to be over with.

*Ding*, it rang.


...would it be ok for me to say that, maybe I'm a natural when it comes to being a red head? If so, I'd like to give credit to those highlights hiding between my boring brown strands. Without them, I'm not sure I would have been able to pull it off.

I love my new hair.

Unlike all of the times I've attempted new hairdos at home (I only recently started going to a salon), there was no crying, there was no "adjusting" (grabbing the scissors and snipping away at random strands day after day, because it still isn't right), there were no regrets. For the first time ever, other than when I would get a fresh Bettie cut... I love my hair.

**Oh, and that cute headband that I'm wearing? Its courtesy of Etsy seller/fellow blogger- MammaTown. The pictures in her etsy shop don't do any of her adorable accessories justice though, so don't turn away, take a second look won't you? Visit her blog here, and her Etsy shop here.

30 comments:

Anonymous,  February 18, 2010 at 5:25 AM  

It's wonderful!!

Alyssa S. February 18, 2010 at 5:54 AM  

I love it!! There's nothing that gives me a new spring in my step than a good cut and color. I leave the cut to the experts. The color I do myself. My curly hair is not for the untrained to handle...like me. I've always loved adding a touch of auburn. I have "used to be blond" brown hair, which is ashy in undertone and can get pretty drab. A hint of red or golden brown is what I need to brighten things up. My hair naturally streaks, so I don't do highlights. I just do an allover color and then let nature do the rest!

Sometimes, just breaking your own mold is just what you need!

Lisa February 18, 2010 at 5:57 AM  

Wow!! It looks really good! It makes your skin tone perfectly too! I can see why you love it:)

Devon February 18, 2010 at 6:57 AM  

Looks great!! Red definitely suits you!

Once, I went with blonde highlights on my very long and dark brown hair. WAY over kill... it totally ruined my beautiful hair. That was in 10th grade... and you would not believe the comments I got about looking like the drummer from The Smashing Pumpkins. (Kids can be so mean). I have been too afraid to do anything with it since. But I often wonder what it would be like!!

Chana@ Mamma Town February 18, 2010 at 7:49 AM  

OMG! I am DYING over your hair girlfriend! It's absolutely perfect! The red is amazing with your skin and your eyes just pop! What a refreshing new look for you-those kids are so lucky to have such a cool mom! And I'm flattered you wore my headband too! Thanks for the awesome plugs! Coolest friend ever! XOXOXOXO

Anonymous,  February 18, 2010 at 7:54 AM  

LOVELOVELOVELOVE IT!

You're speaking my language now, girl! I don't have kids or a hot military husband (haha no jealousy, just props) but HAIR I know. It's A-Mazing.

Brandy L February 18, 2010 at 8:13 AM  

Amazing color of red on you and the cut is gorgeous! :D

Petals February 18, 2010 at 8:25 AM  

Super cute! I have been itching get some color in my hair but I fear the upkeep But your red hair has me super jealous.

Ashley Stone February 18, 2010 at 8:49 AM  

looks great!!! I'd love to be a red head but I couldn't pull it off. It looks awesome on you!

Danielle February 18, 2010 at 9:22 AM  

Oh my. This is hotttt. and I loooove, loooove your tats!

Unknown February 18, 2010 at 10:08 AM  

What a gorgeous color, you look great!

April February 18, 2010 at 10:45 AM  

I've been doing the black hair thing for awhile (per hubby's request) and I've REALLY been wanting to go red. My cut is a mess right now (I'm growing it out to donate to Locks of Love), but I may have to try red when I finally do get it cut!

beka February 18, 2010 at 10:48 AM  

It is soooo cute! Sassy, new, and I love it. I can see that you do too. :) Congrats. ;)
Someday I might try going all red; my hair is mostly virgin except for some highlights in the past of lighter and recently, darker colors.... :)

You look beautiful, Tia!

Oh Mandie February 18, 2010 at 11:13 AM  

You make one hot red headed momma, Tia!

My hair is so dark brown it almost looks black and I can't really dye my hair without bleaching it out first, so for now I'm living vicariously through you

Rachel Elizabeth February 18, 2010 at 11:13 AM  

I love the color. I've never dyed my hair but this makes me think maybe I should try something new.

Unknown February 18, 2010 at 11:46 AM  

WOW, I love it. Red looks good on ya girl...I have been thinking about doing something to mine. Loads of grey, making me look older than I am! LOL

jessicajane February 18, 2010 at 1:39 PM  

now i must dye my hair brown.

Unknown February 18, 2010 at 6:10 PM  

It looks great! I love it!

I change my hair so often, because you can't control certain aspects of your life, but you can always control how your hair looks :)

Angela February 18, 2010 at 7:28 PM  

It is beautiful!!!!! I am in the middle of a hair crisis right now. I am only 36 and my hair has turned white! I dye it but I can't stand keeping up with the roots. Right now I have about half an inch of white roots! UGHS I hate getting old.

PensivePixie February 18, 2010 at 7:47 PM  

Wow, you look gorgeous!! Love, love, love the red!

Kunklebaby February 19, 2010 at 6:53 PM  

Love it Tia! It looks fabulous. I was a "red head" through college and I loved it. Red is just so much more fun! :D

Sarah February 21, 2010 at 11:08 AM  

I LOVE YOUR NEW HAIR! Like you, I've always wanted to be RED. I love love love red hair. I secretly wished that Lucia would have red hair, but no luck! I like her little dirty blonde locks, anyway :)

you look amazing!!!!!! definitely a win.

and thank you for the thoughtful comment on my operation nice post. you are so wonderful. i am going to send a card, you are right.

sg

Bathtub Bling February 23, 2010 at 12:58 PM  

LOVE it!!! you are definitely rockin the red and its so you!!!!

Post a Comment