Home Chapter One Our Vegan Lifestyle Likes Comment-Free

On-The-Go-White-Trash-Mocha

Friday, April 11, 2008


For those of you familiar with Endometriosis, you know that caffeine is out. For whatever the reason, the two don't get along. So after being diagnosed with Endometriosis last October, I said farewell to my very favorite dark colored caffeinated beverage. I was never a tea drinker. I hate iced tea. An old friend of mine used to order chai tea's from starbucks. I tasted hers once, and loved it. So I started buying Oregon Chai in the box (the purple one) and bringing it home with me. My dad, the last man on earth that you'd think would have anything to do with tea ever, tried it upon my forceful nagging, and loved it as I knew he would. My mom, on the other hand, was not as open to the idea. There was always a box in the fridge for my dad and I. One time I think he even bought it. That's how I know he actually likes something. It'll pop up in the fridge like the taste bud faeries went and picked it up at the store before I woke up. The same thing happened with hummus. I had tried hummus at my now-favorite Portland restaurant, Nicholas' (near the old Meow Meow), and decided that I needed to make it at home on my own. The first time I did, my dad turned his nose up at it. He tasted it, acted as if it was nothing special, and went on his merry way. A few days later there was a store bought container of hummus in the fridge? Hmmm, wonder how it got there, and who had eaten half of it. So when I said goodbye to coffee in October, I welcomed chai back into my home with open arms. This time the tea bags as opposed to the boxed kind. I enjoy it much more than I thought I would. At first it was tea morning, noon, and night. The trend has slowed down now to once a day, sometimes twice depending on my mood. We tried Yerba Mate, but weren't too thrilled with it. Maybe now that I've warmed up to tea I should give it another go. I like chamomile and peppermint tea as well. Other than the ones I mentioned, my eyes have yet to be opened to the wonderful world of tea. Abilene is a small town, with no real health food store. We go to a drug store that happens to have a health food section in the back corner. There is an entire aisle of tea, just waiting for me to taste. Christopher has been very supportive of my caffeine retirement. I had gotten him a french press for Christmas, since our coffee maker kicked the bucket. In February he had gone on a month long TDY (temporary duty station, hes in the Air Force for those of you that aren't up to speed), and upon his return, he gave up coffee with/for me. I had mentioned that the scent was driving me crazy, and always complained about how much I missed it (but never once asked him to quit the habit). One time I slipped and had myself a big mug. My body was much happier without the dreamy drink, so as soon as I gave it a taste, my previously mentioned grumpy body threw a fit, and that was the end of that. So now we both drink tea. My grammy had gotten me a bright red tea pot a few years ago for Christmas (see a trend? appliances go well with Christmas in my family), that we put to use every single day. Back in the days of my studio apartment, when Christopher worked at Value Village (some of you might know it as Savers), I had stumbled upon a vintage red and floral design teapot. I didn't care that it was rusted and on its last leg. I loved it. Christopher and I would use it to boil water for hot chocolate most mornings, especially on the weekends and on those extra cold days (I didn't have heat in my apartment. I'm hardcore like that). Oh boy did we like our hot chocolate. On mornings when we didn't have the time or the patience, we'd skip next door to the Dunaway Deli with our little packets of hot chocolate, order a cup of coffee at the self serve, and make what I like to call "On the go white trash mocha's" for the road. And on the rare occasion that Christopher would spend the night at his own apartment, I'd go over to the deli alone and make a tall cup for myself. So while I don't see any white trash mocha's in our future, I do see a lot more tea, and the occasional cup of hot chocolate now that I've put my foot down and said "body, you'll tolerate chocolate, because I said so!".

2 comments:

Hyla April 11, 2008 at 4:46 PM  

That was a lovely read! Good Luck!

Unknown April 11, 2008 at 11:05 PM  

very nice reading and post too, love what you guys make too :)

Post a Comment