Home Chapter One Our Vegan Lifestyle Likes Comment-Free

Flashback Friday: Learning How To Ride A Bike

Thursday, October 7, 2010


I just finished doing 20 minutes of core cardio, followed by 30 minutes of yoga "seated hip openers"- my arms are so heavy right now I can barely type.

As I was putting away the dishes, and Christopher was cradling the fussy baby in his arms, he glanced down at my mess of a to-do list that was resting on the counter, and asked "are you going to do your flashback tonight, or? ..."

Oh. Right. That.
Really? Its been another week already?

So I finished putting away the last of Eleanore's butterfly tumbler cups, mumbled something about how I couldn't possibly do one more squat to get to the cabinet with the glass bowls, and proceeded to walk out into the living room, and sink myself into the couch.

Be as heavy as you want, muscles. The weekend is almost here, and I'd say we've had a pretty productive couple of days in the fitness department.
You talk to your body too, right?

Aaaaand onto my flashback...



When I saw this picture for the first time, just a few weeks ago, I couldn't keep a straight face. I smiled. I cried. I tried to let the photo work as a key to unlock a memory that I had maybe been saving for a rainy day- but the memory was too far gone. I wish that at a young age, we were taught how to old onto such precious moments.

Of course at the time, I wouldn't have guessed how important it would be later, to remember my Dad teaching me how to ride a bike. But now, being 26 years old and having 3 babies of my own- its everything.

This picture means more to me than any other picture I have of me and my Dad.

Maybe because I didn't see it until just now. Maybe because its a picture of a memory that got lost. Maybe its because it opens my heart up to the feelings of a daughter's love for her father, beyond the feelings of my everyday.

I love my Dad. I'm a Daddy's girl. But when I see this picture- I love him the way that I did when I was 5 years old again.

And it doesn't hurt that I'm wearing a really awesome pink puffy jacket, while my Dad rocks the converse.



********************************
Flashback with us! Go through your polaroids, scrapbooks, old crappy cell phone pictures- whatever you've got. Scan them, upload them, get them onto the computer somehow, and then share them with the world! Or... with us at least. Post them onto your blogs, write a little bit to go with them- tell us your story. When you're all finished, grab one of our buttons from down below (wayyyy down there at the bottom of our page) and put it somewhere inside your post (or link back to us the old fashioned text way). Come back here to this post, and add your link to the photo list below!

And if you've got a minute, maybe go poke around some of the other flashbacks posted, and leave a comment on another blog or two?


15 comments:

Lacey October 7, 2010 at 10:31 PM  

And you forgot to mention that rad helmet. Never forget...safety first! Love it.

Chelsea October 7, 2010 at 11:45 PM  

aw, bless your mother or whoever took that photo. what a special memory.

Melissa October 8, 2010 at 1:38 AM  

What a sweet picture & you are right when we are young we forget to cherish moments like these & now as a parent we know better.

Thank you for the reminder :)

Elizabeth Lyng October 8, 2010 at 6:19 AM  

Yes, the puffy jacket and the converse are awesome.
Love the way you say that you love him like you did back then when you look at this; I think many of us have memories of our daddies teaching us something like this. So cool, now I need to get my old albums out and start looking!

Renee October 8, 2010 at 7:50 AM  

Such a sweet photo!! I love your pink puffy jacket!!

Alyssa S. October 8, 2010 at 8:24 AM  

Seriously though, it's those small moments that last. TRUST me on that one. I'm sorry I don't have a picture of it, but one of my most lasting memories that I think of often about my Dad is the time when I was 12 and he bought me this beautiful mylar balloon with butterflies on it. It's not like I'd never gotten balloons before...or after, but I will never forget that day, holding his hand with a huge smile on my face because my Daddy had bought me a balloon.

Unknown October 8, 2010 at 8:42 AM  

Awwww!! I wish I had pictures like that... my mom's boyfriend taught me how to ride a bike. I don't remember him anymore, but I do remember that day!!

Wow, can't believe our kids are just about old enough to ride a bike... we're thinking of getting a bike for Gracie for Christmas this year!

Dana Rae October 8, 2010 at 9:35 AM  

I love the pink jacket. I wish I had a picture like that - my sister taught me how to ride a bike...in the 3rd grade - my parents worked way too much. I hope to teach my daughter the importance of those memories.

Thank you for stopping by my blog. I am glad I am not the only one who got sucked in to the Real World.

Loddelina October 8, 2010 at 10:05 AM  

What a great picture! I love the colours, the special monent that got captured, the look on your face that says "look at me and my dad!"- so precious!

Anonymous,  October 8, 2010 at 11:13 AM  

What an AWESOME Flash Back!!! I'm sooo participating in this today, sweet memories make me tear up as well...Awesome photo of you and your dad!

Kunklebaby October 8, 2010 at 5:40 PM  

Cute pic! I just want to say BRAVO that you find time to workout!! Good job mama!!

Stephani Cochran October 8, 2010 at 9:51 PM  

Love your words about your dad and this photo!

Shauna October 8, 2010 at 11:13 PM  

Hope you have a great weekend! :) Shauna from http://www.trying2staycalm.com/

Post a Comment