Home Chapter One Our Vegan Lifestyle Likes Comment-Free

Babies Go To The Library

Thursday, April 1, 2010

Sometimes we just get so sick of looking at the same four walls every day, ya know? If its nice out, we can go outside and play with the play house, or go out onto the driveway and have a book picnic, but we spend the majority of our time inside, downstairs, in the living room. We have a completely open floor plan downstairs. The living room is the dining room is the family room. Its all just one big open space.

We're a one car family, and because Christopher takes that one car to work in the mornings, we're kind of... well, we're stranded. Its not anything that bothers me though. Going places means spending money, and ever since we've been credit card debt free, spending money is the last thing I want to do.

The other day after lunch (Christopher comes home to eat every day, since he works only 2 miles down the road), we loaded the kids into the van, I drove him back to his shop, and then the babies and I went to the library here on base. Yay for getting out of the house on a day when we'd normally stay inside!

We hadn't gone since last summer, I bet they'd love it...


Eleanore couldn't get out of The Bob fast enough. She ran all the way to the front door of the building, yelling "come on Mom!" the whole way. "I can only walk so fast while carrying your brother, lady, we'll get there, don't worry", I reminded her.


The two of them cozied up side by side on a comfortable bench. Its not very often that they find furniture just their size. We don't any special couches or tables for them here at the house, though I wish we did. Charlie spent most of his time climbing up and down, on and off, of a blue padded bench, while Eleanore closely examined book after book after book. As soon as they'd start to fight over a hardback, I'd remind her that she can simply get up and go get another, which she did often, and to give her baby brother a break.


This guy, grew two new teeth this week, one of them being discovered while we were at the library. Lots of clinging to Mom, lots of chewing on books that shouldn't be chewed on, lots of cute puppy dog faces that could melt anyones heart.


For some reason, all of the books that I picked out for Charlie seemed to interest Eleanore more than the books that had I picked out for her, and while she was reading his books, he was chomping on her sippy. He has a hard time with sippy cups, not understanding how he has to hold them up in order for them to work, even though we've showed him a hundred times, and when given the choice of his soft tipped sippy over his Sister's hard plastic cup- he always chooses hers.

Now that I've seen how much fun it can be for the kids have at the base library, we're going to try to start going more often. Once a week if we can. Its only down the street (we almost never leave the base), and it gives me a reason to trade in my sweats for jeans. We were the only ones in the children's section this time around, but maybe next week we'll meet some new friends.

And hopefully Charlie won't eat anymore of their books.

14 comments:

Unknown April 1, 2010 at 6:38 AM  

When I was growing up, going to the library was such a treat for my brother and I. My Mother took us at least once a week, and we would spend hours there. I have some of the best memories from it. Your children will, too!

CourtneyKeb April 1, 2010 at 7:40 AM  

OOOoooiee great idea!
I'll have to conquer the library with my little one soon!
This post kind of makes me want to go now. hah

They call me mommy... April 1, 2010 at 8:30 AM  

Adorable pictures! And YAY for the library, some weeks it is my only outing, we go every Tuesday for their toddler story time, sometimes I even get adult conversations sometimes with the other moms!!

beka April 1, 2010 at 8:36 AM  

Libraries are wonderful places! :)
Though when we babysit this 2yr old (our youngest is 9, haha, boo-hoo) ....the visit to the library we did do was...ahem..interesting. :D It's different when they're not your kids! lol

CraftGirlAlli April 1, 2010 at 9:27 AM  

The library is often forgotten about! Glad they enjoyed it and you found something to get you out of the house.

Our library here has a little play area for the kids, with puppets and puzzles and other "quiet" things. They also do story hour and have crafts at certain times of the week. Colby loves it!

emily April 1, 2010 at 9:50 AM  

Charlie looks like such a little KID all of a sudden! His rumply hair and those cheeks, still, oh my!

soul_searching_mama April 1, 2010 at 9:55 AM  

I love the library and I've been wanting to take Johnny there more frequently as well. Hopefully now that there is nicer weather we'll get out and do things like that more often. :) Thanks for the post - your kids are super adorable! :)

Alyssa S. April 1, 2010 at 11:03 AM  

When we first moved to Houston, we rented a house and we lived close to a really nice library. The kids section was inviting and the books were displayed in a way kids of all ages would be interested in sitting and thumbing through books. The one near the house we live in now took a very different approach to their children's section. It is very stark and neither Amelia or Merrick are at all interested in it, which is very disappointing. The have much more fun at Barnes and Noble where the books are faced in a way they can see the book covers...and they have a Thomas the Train play table that is set up for them to play with.

Casey April 1, 2010 at 11:06 AM  

We love the library! Ours just got an expansion and the kid's area is really cute. I wanted to be a Librarian for the longest time :)

Allison April 1, 2010 at 1:41 PM  

We love the library! I'm glad you found a (free) place to go with your family.

Mommy Elephant Sarah April 1, 2010 at 1:43 PM  

I loved going to the library as a kid! I've taken Max 3 times, but the last time he really got interested in being there! I think it might be time to go again!

Johanna April 1, 2010 at 8:42 PM  

It melts my heart to see Eleanore with all those books. And Charlie's little face? Adorable. I just want to eat that little boy up!

TexasBobbi April 1, 2010 at 11:29 PM  

Sounds like a great time.

lollywood April 5, 2010 at 10:06 AM  

I loved going to the library when I was little! It was like being at the toy store.. but everything was free!

I have been a little behind on blogs but always try and read yours. I love your little family and love how pretty much every post usually has a photo with it. It lets me in on your world and I like to see how you guys are doing. When I saw this post, I was like "Whoa! Charlie looks so grown up!" It seemed like I had missed a year or something! His hair is getting lighter and he looks just like Christopher! It's so cute :)

The library should definitely be a weekly thing, I'm sure Eleanore will remember it years later (like how I remember when me and my mom would go!)

Post a Comment