Home Chapter One Our Vegan Lifestyle Likes Comment-Free

Meet: The Bob

Wednesday, March 31, 2010


I never thought I'd say this, but- we have a minivan, and we feel like rockstars.

When Christopher and I first met, back in 2004, I drove a 2002 Convertible Kia Sportage, a car that I had payed for with nothing other than my very own money. After we married, we upgraded to a 2005 Chevy Tracker, with both of our money. It was our "family car", or so we thought. When we signed the paperwork and purchased it, we had our future in mind. I guess we never really saw ourselves having 3 children, especially not so soon, but- I swear we thought it would carry us through life for the next ten years at least.

When we became pregnant with the bean, it was obvious that the Tracker just wouldn't cut it anymore. We barely fit into it as it was, our knees were pressed into our chests when we sat, we couldn't store both a stroller and a grocery bag at the same time- there was no way we could squeeze in another car seat. We needed to upgrade.

One afternoon, Christopher was browsing around online, looking to see what was available at local dealerships (something he had been doing quite often), when he came across a 2007 maroon colored Honda Odyssey, in our price range. It had to be ours.

Somehow, within just minutes of laying eyes on it, Eleanore had nicknamed our new minivan "The Bob". I don't know where it came from, I think it was maybe a misunderstanding of the word "van", but... 5 hours later, after an exhausting buying process, Christopher and I were the proud owners of The Bob.

The name stuck.

18 comments:

Devon March 31, 2010 at 5:58 AM  

haha... The Bob.. that's funny! Looks like it will hold quite a bit... and even more than 3 kids & 2 adults! ;)

when the old lady next door died, her family sold my parents her old chevy corsica. it was like a '92 but only had about 22,000 miles on it because the lady hardly ever drove it. it was NICE! the car eventually ended up being called "the Dorothy Mobile" (that was the old lady's name)... and now it's just been shortened to "dorothy". People look at my family funny because we use the name so casually when talking about the car. haha

Laura Craig March 31, 2010 at 6:23 AM  

We're a mini van family too. I ALWAYS ALWAYS told myself (and everyone else for that matter) that I would NEVER be a mini van mom. Yet here I am. We went from a Lancer {when we first had Mackenzie}, to an Explorer {right after we had Nicholas} to a 2009 Dodge Grand Caravan {right after Maddybug}.

Oh, and Mackenzie named the Explorer Rocket, and the new van she named Zero. Though, Nicholas calls it Zero Lightening McQueen Craig. :)

Alyssa S. March 31, 2010 at 6:25 AM  

The Bob looks a lot like my Mazda 5, only I'm guessing a little bigger :) I like the name. It reminds me of the movie Titan AE where they decide to name the new planet "Planet Bob". Whenever I can't think of a good name for something, it becomes "Bob". I love minivans. They might not be sexy, but they are SO much better to have with kids, especially for long drives!

Oh Mandie March 31, 2010 at 7:47 AM  

Very awesome! Your family will be nice and comfy in The Bob, with room to spare. :)

Anonymous,  March 31, 2010 at 7:59 AM  

ah I like the Bob, and I think Maroon is so very classy! Congrats on the "adult" vehicle!

They call me mommy... March 31, 2010 at 8:21 AM  

Congrats on the new ride! Cute name! (=

Fallon March 31, 2010 at 8:46 AM  

Nice new Bob :)

Your daughter is a little funny girl :)

Chana@ Mamma Town March 31, 2010 at 9:54 AM  

Hi Bob! Nice to meet you! Haha!

Unknown March 31, 2010 at 10:12 AM  

heehee, our Honda Odyssey is called Rhonda the Honda. We sing 'Help me Rhonda' while driving.

Casey March 31, 2010 at 11:44 AM  

Congrats! We love our van. We actuallu are 1 seat short, though since there's 8 of us in our blended family, lol. My uncle Rob dubbed our van the "Iron Van" after seeing my Black Sabbath sticker on the back window :)

iampalegreen March 31, 2010 at 2:50 PM  

Aww...hahaha...that's funny! Congrats on the new ride!

The Girl Made From Color March 31, 2010 at 3:40 PM  

I love the name! So freaking awesome. Aidan named our car this time around. I was meddling with a few names and he mispronounced it and it stuck, but I'll let you know later... lol

April March 31, 2010 at 5:34 PM  

The Bob... That's a nice name. Now I need to come up with a cool name for my new ride. We traded in the Volvo for something with 3 rows of seats. I'm refusing to call it a mini-van though

Jen March 31, 2010 at 8:45 PM  

Oh well, we'll all cave to a mini-van eventually. Some just sooner than others. You might as well make it a GREAT mini-van like you guys did. Great ride! Just crank up the music, put your shades on and you'll be fine.

Happy Wednesday Girl!

TexasBobbi April 1, 2010 at 12:44 AM  

I see, well it happens to the best of us.

Unknown April 2, 2010 at 9:04 AM  

I know I'm way late on this, but congrats on the upgrade! Bob is awesome :)

LeAnna April 4, 2010 at 12:15 PM  

That is too funny! I had a Kia Sportage when my Hubby and I got married, that was, you guessed it, paid for alllll by myself. I was so proud of that thing, even though the window fuses went out ALL the time and I'd be stuck with the windows up/down. I loved it even though the brake pads fell off as I crested a hill one day and I had to drive it all the way across town with only the emergency brake. I loved it even though the locks were spazzy and I was often freaked out by their random locking and unlocking spurts. Hubby and I may or may not have made out in it a few times while we were dating, too. Good memories! We have a no mini-van rule at our house, though. Or, shall I say the Hubby has such a rule. We'll see how long it lasts. ;)

Melissa April 9, 2010 at 12:37 AM  

I love the Honda Odyssey. I have been contiplaiting getting a mini van too.. I would love an older VW Van but I know my husband would never allow it. I have an edge right now & I love it.. but I think adding one more baby to it is going to be a tight fit..

It's good to see another hip mama driving a mini van..

Post a Comment