Home Chapter One Our Vegan Lifestyle Likes Comment-Free

22 Weeks And Growing

Monday, April 12, 2010

I haven't really written much about my pregnancy, have I? There was the announcement post at 8 weeks, and then the "I'm scared to have this baby" post, which by the way, every bit of doubt that I once had has now disappeared (thank you all for your amazing support through my weeks of worry), and then... well that's it, isn't it?

Up until the past couple of weeks, things have been very surreal. Once my hormones calmed down and the morning sickness leveled off, I sort of fell into a comfortable day to day routine, one that sort of hid my pregnancy from me. It wasn't until I started to feel the kicks, that awareness of the growing bean in my belly returned to me.

I've stopped running- the last time I went for a run was back in January when Christopher and I did the Bull Run together. I walk instead, and I walk often. I walk pushing 90 pounds of kid in my neighbors borrowed double stroller (we have yet to get one of our own), or I walk with a 30 pound little one strapped to my back in the ERGO. I make the most out of my walks, and while I miss the thrill of running, walking is treating me and my belly well.

I've stopped eating meat- I'm not calling myself vegetarian, but I just can't seem to stomach it the way I could before. Sometimes I'll have a bite of canned chicken breast or spam, because those are the only things that seem to sit well upon request, but for the most part, this Mama has gone meat free.

I sleep in a nest of pillows- one under my head (of course), one under my belly, one under my back, and one in between my legs. If even one of these cushions should go missing... all hell will break loose, and you should prepare yourselves.

Other than the above things, you really might not even know I was pregnant. I've handled myself much better this time around than I did with the last two. I keep myself busy (or my family keeps me busy, however you want to look at it, hee hee), and I keep the majority of my complaints to myself (or I unload them on Twitter, sorry tweeps... I really just said tweeps, didn't I?). Its been a good pregnancy for me.

(oh hello there, cute little skull face baby)

We went in to the doctors office today, and had our 4th ultrasound. Our hopes weren't set too high, so when The Bean kept itself snuggled up tightly in the lower half of my uterus, not sharing its gender with us, we weren't too let down. With our previous pregnancies, the anticipation was a form of torture. I had to know. With Elie, we found out right away. With Charlie, not until 30 weeks. This time around though- I'm perfectly content not knowing.

(ok that looks a little bit more like a baby)

Think I can hold out and wait until the very end to find out the sex? Right now, while I'm in a good mood and loving the wonder, I feel like I can. But later on, while I'm wanting to shop for little outfits and organize our closet, I might not be so open to the idea, haha.

After I scanned in today's ultrasound pictures, I thought maybe I should document my tummy bump as well. I haven't taken very many pictures of myself lately, pregnancy related self confidence body image issues and whatnot, but this post wouldn't really be complete without a self portrait, would it?

I picked up my camera and headed into the downstairs bathroom, the same place that I took all of my self portraits when I was pregnant with Charlie, and snapped about 4 pictures. I wasn't prepared, having just gone on a 2 or 3 mile walk with a hefty load of sleeping baby strapped to my back, no makeup, sweaty hair- who cares. This is me on a regular basis. This is what I'd look like if you bumped into me at the grocery store.


And it wasn't until I uploaded this picture, that I realized I might actually look pregnant, and not just like I've been eating an entire box of cookies to myself every day for the last few months.

My weight has been an issue. If you've been following my blog for awhile now, you've probably read about my battles with the bulge, and are aware of my recent fitness wins. Watching the scale creep back up, is difficult. I take deep breaths, remind myself that after my healthy child is born and I'm all healed from my surgery, I'll be able to get back to working on my body. Whats my hurry, anyways? I'm going to put on weight, I'm going to swell on warm days (have you all seen my infamous picture of fat foot??), and in another month or two, I'm going to look like a pale and prettier version of Shrek. Its ok. <---- as I nervously try to convince myself thats its really ok.

Weight issues aside, because really, when it comes to the overall picture, they're nothing, and I'm very happy with how everything is going. I often catch myself day dreaming about our future, repeating the names that we've picked out in my head, and talking to the babies about their future baby brother or sister. I am blessed.

27 comments:

Brandi April 12, 2010 at 9:39 PM  

aw, look how super-cute you and your baby belly are!

Kitty April 12, 2010 at 9:44 PM  

you look great tia!

and sometimes it's better to let the 'is it a boy or a girl?' answer be a suprize! :D


my parents didn't know with any of the 4 of us, and i remember thinking it was fun to guess if the baby was my new sister or my new brother. ^.^-b

April April 12, 2010 at 9:44 PM  

Pretty as a picture, I say!

Fallon April 12, 2010 at 9:49 PM  

You look so good! sweat and no makeup really works for you :)

Adrienne April 12, 2010 at 10:25 PM  

You look great Tia! I'm going to guess boy too since you look like you're carrying low.

Unknown April 12, 2010 at 10:44 PM  

You look wonderful!! I am so glad you are starting to enjoy yourself. I never looked at my weight while pregnant with Em. I told the doctor that if I was doing bad let me know but otherwise he could just keep it to himself. LOL

Chana@ Mamma Town April 12, 2010 at 10:56 PM  

Oh! Too cute! You look simply glowing in your photo! And if it makes you feel any better....your belly looks just like mine, but mine is full of ice cream cake, and not a cute baby:)
XOXOXOX

Lisa@goodknits April 13, 2010 at 12:41 AM  

Do you have any "feelings" one way or the other? I kinda needed to know with both babies. I am sooo not good with surprises!

You look good! I felt like a house, once I got past 15 or so weeks. ha!

Carrie April 13, 2010 at 1:16 AM  

ah you look pregnant now!! bump has certainly grown since the egg hunt!

Colleen April 13, 2010 at 6:28 AM  

We didn't find out what our third was either. We had a boy and a girl already, so I didn't have my hopes set on one sex or the other. It was kind of nice to have that, "It's a boy!" moment in the hospital.

BTW... you look wonderful!

Amy April 13, 2010 at 7:26 AM  

Will you hit me if I call you Fiona near the end?? *grin*

I think you look great, Tia! I know it's hard to watch the scale creep up after how hard you worked to lose that weight. Just remember we'll all be here to cheer you on as you lose it after this bean is born.

Devon April 13, 2010 at 7:28 AM  

I think you look great!! :) Glad things are going well!!

Unknown April 13, 2010 at 7:45 AM  

I have to agree with all of the other comments <3

Oh Mandie April 13, 2010 at 7:59 AM  

Looking back at it all now, I sort of wish that I wouldn't have found out what we were having when I was pregnant. It's one of lifes true surprises when you don't know.

You look great and you are rocking that baby belly!

Alita April 13, 2010 at 8:16 AM  

You are glowing! Simply glowing... Not trying to be cliche either. :)

Oh and I hear you about the pillows. I was a pillow prostitute when I was preggers with both bambinos.

beka April 13, 2010 at 12:30 PM  

"If even one of these cushions should go missing... all hell will break loose, and you should prepare yourselves." Love it. *laughs* My sister has to sleep with no less than 5 pillows in the bed, it seems, and she's not even pregnant. I tease her about how picky she is. (otherwise, she might wake up with a neck ache)

That's cool you're content with the not-knowing.
Love that picture of you. So real. But you look good, lady! :)

Anonymous,  April 13, 2010 at 12:35 PM  

You look BEAUTIFUL! Usually I think pregnancy is pretty terrifying @ definitely odd (clearly I'm not a Momma...) so for ME to say that, you can believe it.

Of course I might change my tune if I saw a little foot ripple by. That just plain freaks me out. It's like "alien".

But I digress...

Brandy L April 13, 2010 at 12:37 PM  

Amazing baby belly Tia! You are one gorgeous pregnant mommy. :D

OliveStreetStudio April 13, 2010 at 2:03 PM  

you look amazing! thanks for sharing...and I think you can hold out on the sex...just remember that life gives us few surprises and the moment the doc tell you "It's a *****" is absolutely fantastic - try to experience it if you can. :-)

We just had an adoption fall through, so it's great reading blogs where the writer is expecting...maybe another bundle will come our way? we keep hoping!

Laura Craig April 14, 2010 at 12:05 AM  

You look fantastic Tia!!!!

I couldn't take the suspense. I HAD to know each pregnancy! Even after having my girl and my boy, I couldn't let the third be a surprise. Mostly because I had to prepare Mackenzie. I thought for sure if I brought home another baby brother, I would catch her trying to drag him back and return him!!! LOL!!! Good thing she got her baby sister that she was praying for!!!!

Christina April 14, 2010 at 7:57 AM  

Hi Tia!
You look fabulous, I love the pregnant belly. I have missed reading your blog and hope to catch up within a few days.

Chelsey - The Paper Mama April 14, 2010 at 7:08 PM  

What a beautiful pregnant mama!
-chelsey

Post a Comment