Home Chapter One Our Vegan Lifestyle Likes Comment-Free

Allora Handmade

Tuesday, December 8, 2009


This year, my husbands Christmas party was more than just a Christmas party. To me at least. To everyone else, it was probably the usual buy-your-raffle-tickets-and-hope-to-win-stuff shindig that it is every year, but to me, it was also the first time that I would have a chance to present the new me. I knew nobody would care (if they had even noticed) that I had lost nearly 60 pounds since last years party, but I still wanted to dress up and hold my head up high. No more hiding behind my jacket, I went sleeveless. No more red lipstick, I went with a smokey eye. No more quiet whispering, I even participated in a game (name the gift that was given on a specific day of Christmas- I knew them all, but finally raised my hand and shouted it out after mumbling the answers so only the people at our table could hear) that won me a $25 gift certificate to a Texas steakhouse.

I was myself.

(Ok, so after 4 drinks, I might have gotten a little flirty with the camera)

Before going to the party, I had gone out shopping by myself, Christopher gave me special time away from him and the babies, and bought myself a new outfit. A few new outfits, actually, since it got to a point where literally nothing fit me (I ended up selling all of my old clothes for about $200 total on the Abilene Yard Sales Yahoo group), but one specifically for dressing up in. I ended up going with (and I wish I would have gotten a full body shot, dangit) with a Converse denim pencil skirt, a sheer black sleeveless top, and leopard print heels. No, not much of a heel, I'm 5'8 and very unstable when elevated, but a little bit of a heel, just enough to make it sassy. The only thing that was missing from my overall look, was an accessory.

I'm not the accessory type of girl, you might have noticed? I used to be, though. I used to pile on the flair as if I were a payed sponsors for Claire's. Since having children, my style has calmed down for the most part. Dropped dead, is probably a more accurate way of putting it (I'm typing this while wearing bright red fleece pajama pants with blue snow birds on them, a blanket wrapped around my shoulders, and over sized floppy slippers on my feet), but, I'm slowly returning to the land of fashion freedom. Sloooowly. Don't expect to see me sporting jewelry on a regular basis, haha.

I didn't want to buy just any accessory. I wanted the perfect one.

And then came along, Allora Handmade. I fell in love with everything in her shop. The colors, the way that they were coupled together, the fabrics, the threads, the softness of the pieces... everything. I knew I had to buy something from her, and only her.

I settled upon the "oh my pearl necklace", with a 3-piece rosie brooch attached. It worked out perfectly. I love how as soon as I clasped the pearls together behind my neck, it pulled my outfit together.

If you've got the time, please stop over and have a look at the things in her shop. You won't be disappointed. Its too late for anything that is ordered now to be guaranteed to be delivered by Christmas, but- she does have gift certificates (hint hint, Christopher. Theres a beautiful pair of earrings that would love to rest on my lobes).

Oh! And, here is a picture of the Mister and I from the Christmas party...

26 comments:

Johanna December 8, 2009 at 6:37 AM  

this post makes me so very happy for you. first off, you look stunning and smokin' in all your pics. also, you so deserve to feel hot, sassy and most importantly proud of yourself! woohoo, go mama!
btw, love the last pic of you and your hub!
great great great necklace too!

Lauren December 8, 2009 at 8:18 AM  

Oh Tia, I'm so happy for you! The jewelry, the heels, the freedom to be you! Its just wonderful =D.

Alyssa S. December 8, 2009 at 8:19 AM  

You always inspire me Tia :) 60 lbs down is AMAZING and I'm so stoked for you that you had a chance to show it off. You looked amazing...and I'm really glad you talked about your necklace. It is SO pretty...and now I'm off to look at that shop. I'm glad you got all dolled up...I can't remember the last time I did!!!

April December 8, 2009 at 8:34 AM  

Girl... you look GREAT! Congrats to you for all your hard work! The necklace is totally FAB! I have to say though, my favorite part of your outfit is for sure all your ink!!

Devon December 8, 2009 at 8:37 AM  

Glad you were able to do a little something for yourself! You look great in the pics! And that necklace is very unique! I wish I could pull of jewelry like that... but I don't go anywhere. Ever. So I guess I don't really have any use for it! Glad you had a nice time!

Oh Mandie December 8, 2009 at 8:43 AM  

You're gorgeous, Tia! Inside and out

jess December 8, 2009 at 9:34 AM  

Yay! You look amazing! Thanks for the praise and the pics. Just so you know, anything marked in stock WILL actually make it by Christmas -just custom orders are not guaranteed. Thanks again Tia!

lollywood December 8, 2009 at 10:10 AM  

that necklace is really pretty while being a little bit fun and funky at the same time. and you look gorgeous!

Sarah December 8, 2009 at 10:16 AM  

You look smokin' hot!!! I love the picture of you with the camera - it is such a beautiful photo of you. I am so glad you did some nice things for yourself - you deserve it. Congrats on the weight loss too, you should be so proud. I am so happy for you!

Fallon December 8, 2009 at 10:32 AM  

You look beautiful and that necklace looks perfect :)

soul_searching_mama December 8, 2009 at 11:35 AM  

You look very beautiful! :) I'm glad to hear you had a fun time at the party. And that necklace is really pretty too!

Brandy L December 8, 2009 at 12:02 PM  

Great picture of you and the hubby! I love the necklace as well!

Art Kitten December 8, 2009 at 12:07 PM  

You look unbelievable gorgeous.

Unknown December 8, 2009 at 12:43 PM  

You look amazing!

I'm so glad you found the perfect necklace! It's lovely!

iampalegreen December 8, 2009 at 12:50 PM  

You guys are adorable! And go you on your MAJOR poundage lost! That is so inspiring! :)

I love that necklace! At first I thought you were going to say you won THAT at the holiday party. I was gonna say! I'm heading over to check out the site now...how fun!

Christina December 8, 2009 at 4:58 PM  

You look very pretty. :) Yay for some time out just for you, and shopping, and feeling good!

Esmeralda Bohemian December 8, 2009 at 6:13 PM  

I've been waiting for the right time to mention this and since you brought it up I'll just go for it.

You look stunning.

I've been so inspired by your dedication to fitness, you are the first one to turn me on to the 30 day shred and while I haven't started it yet I did finally get the video and will be starting soon-ish...;) I am glad to hear that you felt good and were able to be more yourself, having been overweight for a long time myself I know how it feels to 'hide' and how much more free-ing it is to not be caught up in your insecurites and just be yourself.

You should be very very proud of yourself and the example you have set for your children and for all of us out there who aspire to live a more healthy lifestyle.

Two gold stars for you!

Crafty Mama December 8, 2009 at 6:32 PM  

Woo-hoo! You're one hot mama! Congratulations on making changes so that YOU feel better about yourself. Changes we want for ourselves are the best kind!

Tia Colleen December 8, 2009 at 7:57 PM  

This was mostly supposed to be a post to showoff the beautiful necklace that I wore, considering I don't own many things that I consider to be my current style...

I in no way imagined all of the amazing things that y'all would have to say. Thank you so much. Your support melts my heart. Each and every comment speaks to me on such a personal level. Thank you.

The Girl Made From Color December 8, 2009 at 10:37 PM  

Yes, a very hot momma. You look great. And we all lapse into pajamas (even I do, even though I usually have to dress for classes.)

60lbs?!?!?! I'm shocked. And proud. I really should take a few more pointers from you, I think I've gained weight since the beginning of the year. I'll blame it on the stress.

lollywood December 9, 2009 at 12:00 AM  

hey! in response to your comment on my blog, i actually live in tahlequah, oklahoma. it's an hour outside of tulsa.. but OKC is only 3 hours away. i love the oklahoma craft scene! everyone's so fun and young and hip! thats cool you did the girlie show! ive wanted to do it, it seems like a neat show.

It's EKG! December 9, 2009 at 9:04 PM  

you look absolutely magnificent! im so proud of you, friend.

Unknown December 11, 2009 at 9:44 AM  

oooh, so gorgeous. And I'm glad you feel good about yourself, because you should! But I just gotta say, I loved your red lipstick from your baby shower last year. I've never in my life been cool enough to pull off red lipstick.

Post a Comment