Home Chapter One Our Vegan Lifestyle Likes Comment-Free

Putting Up the Christmas Lights

Wednesday, December 9, 2009

This is our second Christmas that we'll spend living here in this house. Ah, good ol' Indiana Street. The thing is, Christopher and I have lived in a lot of places (apartments and duplexes, never a house of our own, not yet at least). So not only is this our second Christmas spent in this house (duplex, whatever), but its the first time we've ever lived somewhere long enough to repeat a holiday there. We're very proud of this accomplishment- we love this house.


I've been bothering Christopher to get up on the roof and put up our Christmas lights since before Thanksgiving. The weather here has actually been bone chilling cold (22 yesterday, and I still ran 3 miles), so I don't blame him for not jumping up immediately and getting his hands tangled up in cords and broken light bulbs, but it gets to a point where either you're going to put them up, or you're not, ya know? Finally I spoke up in my mean wife voice, and demanded that Christmas be carried from the inside of our house (its so pretty in here, we have garland going up the staircase, purple and silver bows on everything, stockings hung by the window with care-), out onto the pillars for the world to see.

Put up the lights already!


So he called up a friend and had him come over to help, finally. Yes, he could have done it all by himself, but for lack of an anxiety attack on my end (y'all have heard me call Christopher Sasquatch before, right? Well I don't want him Sasquatchin' himself right off of the roof, so... the buddy system is mandatory in activities such as this), I asked him to please have some help when stringing them up.


Oh, and ok, he had had a little helper too. At one point, Eleanore was standing directly under him as he was trying to un knot a clump of bulbs, and Christopher dropped the entire pile of lights right down onto her head, triggering ear shattering cries. The rope got stuck in her hair, those tiny bulbs are like spikes, but with my quick reflexes, she was freed from the terrors of the holiday lights in no time.


"Its ok Daddy, I forgive you", she said, and then right back to being a little helper she went.


After a good amount of light placement failures and accomplishments, followed by a dud strand that was fixed simply by un plugging and then re plugging- our little spot here on Indiana St was once again lit up for all to see...


Its nothing fancy, we like to keep it simple. All of our strands match, leaving the look to be summed up as "classic", if I had to put a label on it. You won't find any over-the-top seizure inducing flashing bulbs, no dangling icicle lights, no random color strands placed here or there, and of course, no moving reindeer or ho ho ho'ing plastic Santas (really, I wouldn't be able to stand it). We have our wreath hanging peacefully on the front door, pretty colored lights lining the inside of both the living room window and our bedroom window (that top window, but they weren't hung up when the picture was taken), and its just perfect for us.

If I haven't said it yet, and you know I'll say it at least 5 more times before the actual holiday gets here- Merry Christmas friends!

14 comments:

Alyssa S. December 9, 2009 at 6:10 AM  

Beautiful work! My hubby keeps asking me if I'm disappointed that we haven't strung up the outside of the house like all of the neighbors. Honestly, I'm happy with the two mini, prelit trees we got for the front porch and the pretty wreath on the door that was made for me by a friend years ago. Maybe next year I'll make him do it :)

Unknown December 9, 2009 at 7:10 AM  

Merry Christmas...your lights look great!

CraftGirlAlli December 9, 2009 at 7:43 AM  

very cute! We still haven't put lights up outside either...so I'm guessing it's not going to happen at all :(

Fallon December 9, 2009 at 8:09 AM  

Your house is soo cute! I love your simple lights. Jake has been doing ours little by little. Simple as well but in my favorite CHristmas colors red and white :)

Oh and your crazy and amazing for running in 22 degrees! that kind of cold hurts my lungs when I used to run.

Devon December 9, 2009 at 8:41 AM  

Looks lovely! Christopher and his helper(s) did a great job! I tried to put lights on our porch. Pretty sure they are still out there dangling around where I didn't secure them right. I don't bother turning them on. Crap. I don't even have a wreath! :( Oh well!

Good luck on finishing your projects (and wrapping paper). Maybe you should start a "Lets get our Christmas Projects done by May" thing and keep all of us ppl who read your blog motivated to get ours done instead early of procrastinating for next year!

Looking forward to seeing the Rainbow Brite Treasure Chest--I hope you'll post pics!

jessicajane December 9, 2009 at 9:13 AM  

how come you didnt take a picture of the lights falling from christophers hands onto elis head? haha.

they look nice! we had all white lights up on balcony with fake pine garland, and the wind blew it off...luckily the wind blew it right onto our balcony.i havent put them back up yet. too lazy.

the street we drive down to get to our condos is insane...

Oh Mandie December 9, 2009 at 10:32 AM  

I've got to tell you, I wish I had to push my husband to put up the lights. Mike is the complete opposite and plans out his Christmas light game plan months before hand.

I'm pretty sure you can see my house from the moon.

Art Kitten December 9, 2009 at 11:13 AM  

I want to see the inside of your house with its' decorations now!

soul_searching_mama December 9, 2009 at 1:13 PM  

Awesome! I like the classic look! I am looking forward to when we are actually settled in one place & can hang lights too! I'll probably have to demand for my husband to do it too. :)

MM December 10, 2009 at 12:35 PM  

your house is huge!
andy's out of town right now. i'm going to surprise him by christmas-i-fying while he's gone. (he's not super excited about picking out a tree, etcetera.
we only have indoor lights, but i put 'em all over the front two windows, on the inside.

iampalegreen December 10, 2009 at 12:56 PM  

Super cute! Now it's Christmas!!

Marie December 10, 2009 at 6:16 PM  

but, but, i have a gingerbread house! :)

Megan December 10, 2009 at 8:56 PM  

I'm the same way about lights. Even on the tree, they all have to be ONE color and no blinking. Everyone says I'm boring. Now I know that it's called "classic," hehe.

Post a Comment