Home Chapter One Our Vegan Lifestyle Likes Comment-Free

Pancake Sandwich

Saturday, October 10, 2009


I know what you might be thinking. "Why is she posting a picture of a pancake sandwich? Is she seriously blogging about this?".

Just hear me out.

We've been gluten free for roughly 3 years now. We've tried every gluten free bread known to man. Store bought, freezer kept, homemade, yeast, no yeast, eggs, no eggs- all of them. No matter what kind of gluten free bread you have, rice flour just does not stay moist. You/they (whoever they is) can sweeten it with all of the fruit juices in the world, nothing is going to keep a gluten free bread slice fluffy. "You will never be wheat!!", I would shout at my lifeless loaf.

As the cold weather moves into the big country this fall, I've been craving certain things. Things that yes, I can live without, but wouldn't it be so nice if I could have them? Tomato soup, is one of them, but due to a fructose intolerance, that's out. Beer, which again, isn't in the cards for me, not even beer of the sorghum variety (ok maybe, but I'll pay for it the next day). And a hot sandwich. I used to make an amazing Parmesan crusted veggie sandwich. Can you imagine what that must have smelt like? *sigh*

When I was growing up, my parents would always make pancakes from a bagged mix, whatever was cheapest at the time (Bisquick, Krusteaz), or whatever was donated to us in the Salvation Army food box. There is nothing wrong with that (both using mix from a bag, and having food donated to you), I'd be lost without my Pamela's mix, but- back when I was 7 years old, and we had pancakes every night for a solid week straight, I started to hate them. From that point on I couldn't stomach a pancake. I'd rather starve. It wasn't until recently, when I learned my way around the kitchen and realized that my parents hadn't fed pancakes to punish me, but rather to keep me alive, that I've learned to like them again.

And you know what the best thing about my new food crush on pancakes is? I've discovered that they make one heck of a hot sandwich.

Of course, "one heck of a hot sandwich" to a wheat eater is something completely different, but for those of us with the disadvantage- get your griddles started.

Make a batch of unsweetened pancakes, the way you normally would. Butter one side of the cake, the way you would butter a bread slice for grilled cheese, and then put your "sandwich" together. While both the pancakes and griddle are still hot, cook them suckers up!! (in my head, I just said that in my football lovin' redneck voice, and it was totally funny) 400 degrees seems to be about right for a golden crispy crust.

By doing this, my daughter is finally able to eat grilled cheese sandwiches, tuna melts, etc. Its weird teaching a 3 year old how to hold a sandwich in her hands, you'd think by now she'd know how to do so, but- we're getting the hang of it.

Its a little more work than grabbing a pre made bag of bread off the shelf, but the best tasting things are, aren't they?

12 comments:

It's EKG! October 10, 2009 at 11:41 AM  

that looks insanely delicious.

Caroline October 10, 2009 at 11:44 AM  

*sigh*

This looks gorgeous, but I'm not sure the void where my gall bladder used to be would thank me for it XD

...still...

yum :)

Lauren October 10, 2009 at 11:44 AM  

Love it! GF bread only occasionally works, and this looks like the perfect replacement =D.

Sarah October 10, 2009 at 2:16 PM  

Dude. That looks delish.

Unknown October 10, 2009 at 4:43 PM  

Sounds good to me. Hot savory sandwiches with waffles for bread is really common, so I can see that pancake bread would be delish!

Awesome Tia, to find something you can eat and love!

Oh Mandie October 11, 2009 at 11:38 PM  

Mmm pancake sammys rule! Particularly on a lazy Sunday morning with ham (or bacon) and cheese!

Glad that you found something scrumptious to eat Tia!! (and thanks for making me hungry and drooling at 12:30pm!)

Marie October 12, 2009 at 4:00 AM  

Mmmmm... lunch at Tia's! :)

Anonymous,  October 12, 2009 at 11:31 AM  

I happen to LOVE sandwiches, especially when my husband makes them, because he takes the time to put tons of good stuff in them...

I can't say I've ever thought of pancake sandwiches, but the idea sounds awesome, especially for breakfast sammies... thanks for the idea, and I'm glad you're finding some comfort in a new way of eating...


Janell

Caroline October 13, 2009 at 12:09 PM  

finally HAD a pancake sandwich... OMG almost keeled over in excitement - they're yummy :D

mari October 19, 2009 at 11:31 AM  

I'm just getting to the point of testing out some pancake mix ... if it works ... sandwiches are defintely next on my list.
Just got to figure out what to put IN the blasted things. Without cheese it just seems so wrong .... man I miss grilled cheese sandwiches.

kissnell@yahoo.com December 27, 2009 at 5:04 PM  

Hey! I'm an old friend of Christina's (at Consider the Coffee) and I was browsing your blogs. I, too, became gluten intolerant after the birth of my second baby. I can crazy relate to so much of what you're writing! I love this idea of the pancake sandwiches and I thought I'd share something I use to satisfy the bread longing. I buy the rice paper for spring rolls at the Vietnamese groceries and they are fabulous for any kind of wrap that you can think up. Chewy yummy-ness!! Thanks for your writings:)

Post a Comment