Home Chapter One Our Vegan Lifestyle Likes Comment-Free

Meatloaf rocks!

Friday, May 9, 2008


...I ate meatloaf. With meat. The real kind. And I didn't die. Christopher and I have been vegan since last fall when my body decided it no longer wanted to tolerate meat of any kind (along with every other food I've ever loved). Well I've been wanting it. And unlike the cheese incident, we went and bought the best for this experiment. Grass-fed, no hormones, organic, Angus beef. The most expensive beef I have ever eaten in my life. I took 2 pounds of it, and made a delicious meatloaf. But if you know me, you know I'd never be able to eat just meat. I had to pack it full of fresh vegetables. And speaking of fresh vegetables, the farmers market opens up tomorrow, yay! So, for those of you who are looking to try a healthier version of meat loaf...

Tia's craving meatloaf!
-2 lbs natural grass-fed Angus beef
-1 cup mushroom pieces, chopped
-1 large celery stick, chopped
-2 carrots, peeled and chopped
-1/2 large onion, chopped
-1 radish, chopped
-garlic, however much you prefer, I like a lot (which is probably why I got such bad heartburn)
-1 cup bread crumbs (we use gluten free white rice bread)
-1 tsp cumin
-1 tsp curry
-1 tsp sage
-1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
-pinch celery salt
-salt and pepper to taste

The reason you won't find any tomato products in this recipe, is because my beautiful daughter Eleanore Sue, is allergic to citrus. We add our organic ketchup afterwards. Feel free to add some fire roasted tomatoes or ketchup into the mix. mmm.

*Preheat oven to 350.

Directions:
-Put your 2 pounds of meat into a large bowl. Break it up.
-Mix up all of your veggies in a blender (or magic bullet if you're a big nerd like me). It will be very watery. Strain it through a fine wired colander, until all you've got left is pulp.
-Pour veggie/pulp mixture in with the meat.
-Add bread crumbs.
-Add your spices.
-Gently stir with fingers, so that the mixture stays light and fluffy.
-Set mixture into your loaf pan, and gently mold it to look how you prefer.

Cook for about an hour. Serve with mashed sweet potatoes. This is heaven on a plate for a meat-craving preggo like me.

5 comments:

BeckyKay May 9, 2008 at 10:36 AM  

Wow! That sounds delicious and like a great way to get my kid to eat vegetables!

I'm so glad to hear the meatloaf experiment was a success! I was thinking about that this morning!

Diana May 9, 2008 at 5:08 PM  

Oh. That sounds absolutely delicious. I am so glad you were able to eat some meat!!! Yay!

I, too, am craving meat like no one's business. I had a steak sandwich for breakfast this morning. Nothing says "good morning!" like grilled steak on sourdough.

xox

Memoirs of a Mental Mind May 9, 2008 at 9:34 PM  

Just the fact that you can come up with your own recipes to fit your bodies needs, amazes me...you rock! :)

Distressing Delilah a.k.a. jenn May 10, 2008 at 10:37 AM  

Sounds awesome! I don't eat red meat..but use turkey or chicken. Like the thought of all those vegetable in there.

shellieartist May 10, 2008 at 11:56 AM  

Sounds like you managed to make meatloaf super healthy! Yum!

Post a Comment