Home Chapter One Our Vegan Lifestyle Likes Comment-Free

The best birthday present ever.

Monday, May 5, 2008

Well. Its my birthday. I'm 24. No shame in that. Next year my insurance will go down by nearly half. I can't wait. It used to be, that the night before my birthday, I wouldn't be able to sleep. I'd toss and turn, thinking about all of the exciting thing the day ahead of me might hold. But nope, not last night. Last night I think I was asleep before my head even hit the pillow. Want to know a secret?

...I'm pregnant.

So I guess my recent period post is temporarily obsolete. It still doesn't seem quite real, to be honest. Christopher and I are already blessed with an adorable 1.5 year old, Eleanore Sue. Shes an angel, that little devil (yes, that was an Alkaline Trio reference. Say hello to my half assed attempt at trying to be clever at 7 in the morning). We've been trying to get pregnant for the past 12 months, and were just about ready to take our thoughts on fertility treatment to the doctor, when we got a + instead of a - on that expensive tiny plastic test. If you've ever tried to have children, you know the aches and pains of charting your reproductive system's every move, right? You know exactly when you ovulate, right down to the minute. Your 2 week waiting period seems longer than a year, as you examine every tiny symptom wondering "does that mean I'm pregnant?". You've spent literally, over $100 (easy) on pregnancy tests in the past year, because even though you know its a waste of money, you always break down and buy a test anyways. And then every time the test comes up negative, you beat yourself up, because you know you shouldn't have bought it in the first place. Not only do you and your significant other feel the pain of not being able to conceive, but so does your check book. You promise not to buy any more tests. You're constantly feeling yourself up, because if your boobs feel sore, then you must be pregnant. They weren't sore the last time you squeezed, so next time you'll squeeze just a little bit harder. Ouch, it hurt that time! Am I pregnant yet? Your husband is sick to death of your "I think I'm pregnant this time" comments. And so are your friends and family. And you're sick of leading everyone on. And you're sick of being disappointed.

So last week, when I was just one day late, I casually say to the Mister, "Go get me a test". There was no please, because I thought he'd shoot me down. Rather than being mean about it, even though I knew it was the last thing he wanted to do on his Sunday afternoon, he said "okay", put his shoes on, and away he went. While he was gone, I guzzled a tall glass of water. By the time he got back, I had to pee so bad I almost couldn't get the wrapper off of the test in time. So I pee on the stick, set the stick on the counter, and watch it like a hawk. I don't let the slow moving blue line out of my site. Within seconds, there is a blue plus sign. I rub my eyes, because like an older lady with bifocals, my eyes refuse to focus, and I'm in desperate need of glasses. The plus sign is still there. There's a little sprinkle of pee on top of the test. Maybe that's just blurring the line so that it looks like a plus sign. I dab the fluid with toilet paper. Wow, the plus sign is still there. And its not going anywhere. I've seen at least 20 negatives in the last year, and never once has my imagination stirred up a plus sign that clearly. Whats going on? I pick up the test, walk slowly out to Christopher (who is on the computer), and set the test down on the desk beside him. ..."Is that? ....Oh. ...Wait. ...Is that?". Yes sir. It sure is. We call everyone immediately. We take another home test later in the day. Its positive. And a blood test at the base hospital the following day. Its positive. I'm pregnant.

The plan for my birthday, was to grab some of the gal pals, and get our drink on. Well with the news of my poppy seed muffin (at 4 weeks, the embryo is the size of a poppy seed. I'm 5 weeks now, and its the size of sesame seed), my birthday got lost in the mix, and this year will be another year without a celebration. Unlike much of the rest of the country, I don't have the opportunity to go out to dinner, or the option to pick up a cake at the store. I have enough food allergies to fuel an allergen free rocket. ...Yeah I'm not sure what that means either, haha. I've heard rumors of pregnant women being able to magically digest lactose when their bodies craved it. Well I've been wanting cheese so bad I think my eyes turned orange like cheddar. Last night I broke down and made the most delicious quesadilla the world has ever seen. And even though 2 hours later I got so sick I probably could have died, I didn't care, it was worth it. Best dilla ever. However, it looks like I will not be eating dairy like these miracle women I've heard so much about. Nor will I be eating any of the other things my body has said no to in the past.

From top to bottom:
-"Double Vanilla CakeCup (TM) with Confetti Sprinkles", by TheSweetSpot, $7.00.
-The first time I held Eleanore Sue after my C-section.

21 comments:

Juliet May 5, 2008 at 8:50 AM  

Congrats!!!!! How exciting! So glad my sticker helped break the news!

kathy May 5, 2008 at 9:42 AM  

OMG! congratulations!!!
and
happy birthday!! how funny, err, i turn 24 today too...err ok, not really!! :)
big smooches and hugs, love,
k

Jeannie May 5, 2008 at 9:45 AM  

Hi, saw your post on etsy.

Happy Birthday! I wanted to give you a link to a food allergy support board, this is a fabulous board, with lots of people/parents dealing with many different food allergies, and I know the recipe section usually has pretty good recipes (so maybe there is hope for birthday cake?)

http://allergy.hyperboards.com/index.php

Have a great birthday!
MamaSewsFun

Infinite Cosmos May 5, 2008 at 10:05 AM  

happy birthday and CONGRATS!!!! YAY!

Hobocamp Crafts May 5, 2008 at 12:03 PM  

Ok Girlie- I can't believe you wrote this post- b/c now I don't have to blog today- b/c you basically said everything for me. I started having lactose issues about a year ago and just stopped eating it. Then a few weeks ago I tested myself w/ a small piece and didn't get sick. So I started eating it again- grilled cheese,quiche,string cheese, those yo mommy yogurts- you name it and for a week I was good- now I'm starting to get sick again! Here I thought maybe while I'm preggers I can eat cheese- but so far it has been a dud! Feel Well I know the whole spend $50 a week on pregnancy tests for a big negative- but Hooray now you're preggers! Enjoy your baby and your birthday! Whew- sorry for the long post~

Tia Colleen May 5, 2008 at 12:26 PM  

Thank you everyone for the happy birthday and wishes and congratulations for my poppy seed muffin.

Thanks jeannie for that link. I'll check it out.

Hobocamp, its you and me lady. I'll have to post an AMAZING recipe I created, for a mock double cheese dilla. Seriously, its the cheesiest un-cheese ever. SO good.

Michelle Engel Bencsko May 5, 2008 at 12:33 PM  

Woohoo! Yay! Excellent news!

And a very happy birthday to you, as well.

Jennifer May 5, 2008 at 3:47 PM  

Happy Birthday!...and congrats on the pregnancy!. Exciting news after trying for so long:)

Diana May 5, 2008 at 4:48 PM  

Yay! YAY! YAYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Happy, happy birthday! I know I've said it a million ways and a million times, but let me add one more. Oh, and come check out my blog where I slurp you up one side and down the next.

I'm just so excited for you. What a wonderful time. Life's so damn joyful sometimes that you don't know what to do with yourself.

Hey, but: I had no idea you were such a sweet young thing of 24! Why I'm old enough to be your favorite older aunt! :)

xoxoxoxox
Di

Art Kitten May 5, 2008 at 9:46 PM  

Congratulations!!!!!! Ah to be preggers!

Tatyana May 5, 2008 at 10:33 PM  

Congratulations. And totally awesome birthday present :P

T.Allen May 5, 2008 at 10:35 PM  

My mere birthday wishes can't compete to the joyful news you've already received, but what's one more well wish! All the best, congratulations!

fluffnflowers May 5, 2008 at 11:03 PM  

Congrats and happy birthday!! What an unbeatable birthday present!

Lacey in the Sky May 5, 2008 at 11:27 PM  

Congratulations! That's so exciting for you guys! I really enjoy your blog :o) (and I enjoy Alkaline Trio! I thought the reference was quite clever for 7am!)

CURU May 5, 2008 at 11:51 PM  

Wow, happy birthday and congratulations!

Wonderfully Sew Knit May 6, 2008 at 2:07 AM  

Happy Birthday and CONGRATULATIONS!!!!! A new baby...so fun!

Crafty Mama May 6, 2008 at 12:31 PM  

Congrats! I absolutely need that bumper sticker!

woolies May 7, 2008 at 1:06 PM  

Congrats!!!! Just wait - one day your young-uns will be 15 and 13, and then you'll be wondering what in the world you were thinking....
:0)
PS I love the 'i'm so crafty I make people' sticker!

ishi May 8, 2008 at 8:34 PM  

oh my, congratulations!!!!!!!!!


p.s.!!!!

Post a Comment