Home Chapter One Our Vegan Lifestyle Likes Comment-Free

The ants go marching two by two...

Saturday, May 24, 2008


So there I was, peacefully sleeping in, like I get to do on the weekends when the Mister gets up early with Eleanore instead of me, when suddenly I'm awaken by loud slapping noises and heavy breathing. I open my eyes, to see Christopher standing at the end of the bed, swatting himself repeatedly. "Whats wrong?" I ask. No answer, just more slapping. "What are you doing?", I pry. Still no response. I can tell it has something to do with some kind of bug. Or, a bugga bugga, as Eleanore likes to call them. After another 2 or 3 nagging questions, I finally get a one worded response. "Ants".

...Since when do we have ants? We've had scorpions in the kitchen. We've had giant tarantula sized wolf spiders in the bathroom. We have crickets, pill bugs, and pincher bugs everywhere all the time . But ants? They usually stay outside. So he opens up the closet, to find small, medium, and large ants swarming all over his clothes. They're not sugar ants. I don't think they're fire ants. What other kind of ants are there? Army ants... what do they do? Maybe that's the kind. Where did they come from and why are they there? Kitty Bomber has not been doing her job as bug exterminator. When I picture ants, I usually picture them invading a kitchen, or living in dirt. Not hanging out on my husbands collection of t-shirts. He sprayed around the outside of the closet door, to kill the ones that had wandered away from ground zero, and to keep the rest at bay. While he was kneeling on the ground they covered his legs. This he must not have felt, because when I cleared my throat and said "your legs are covered in ants", he freaked out, and started all over with the self slapping.

...Any ideas on what to do from here? Because as of right now, the plan is to take out every piece of clothing, re-wash it, and then poison the bunches with ant bait. I bet etsy user weirdbuglady would hate to stumble upon this blog.

From top to bottom:

16 comments:

fluffnflowers May 24, 2008 at 10:22 AM  

Yikes! I hope he's not allergic to them! Fire ants are the bane of my existence.

Definitely wash all of the clothes, pull everything up off of the floor, and see if there's anything they might like in there. Make sure there are no holes that they're getting in through, and I'd probably cover the entire floor with boric acid. I hate ants with a passion, though.

Could they be the crazy raspberry ants?

Ms. Jessie May 24, 2008 at 10:22 AM  

well, that freaking sucks. We get ants off and on. I like to use stuff that wont hurt us or the animals. Mom left a couple of spray bottles of this stuff by Victor it is called Poison Free ant and roach killer. the website for them is www.victorpest.com.

Mikey got bitten by an ant this year. It sucked I had to slap the top of his hands repeatively to get the stupid thing to let go. He had a little red bump for a couple of days but he was okay.

Jess (aka LittleBunny) May 24, 2008 at 11:11 AM  

you know, i just heard about these weird ants that eat plastics and all kinds of weird crap. Someone said they are mostly in the texas region and I'm wondering if these are what you have....oh and i just looked over at fluffnflowers comment and it all came back- the rasberry ants.
now i feel like i'm rambling- but i hope you guys can become bug free very soon!!

Beadin By The Sea May 24, 2008 at 12:09 PM  

Ohhhh, I don't like anything creepy crawly! We live in Kansas and have all sorts of critters. I hate to say it but we get our house treated for bugs! Fortunately they are starting to use organic sprays! I have no idea what you should do, except lots of laundry!

Tia Colleen May 24, 2008 at 2:02 PM  

They're not rasberry ants, but BOY do those things look nasty! I saw something about them on the news. These are much larger, darker, and don't act like they're on speed. Christopher just went to the store to get some ant killer, and while I'm at work, hes going to empty out the closet little by little (its a large walk-in), and try to kill them off. Yuck!!

Katie L. May 24, 2008 at 2:26 PM  

I've heard of an interesting way to get rid of ants, Cream of Wheat, I guess you sprinkle it on the floor where they live and when they take it away and eat it, it will expand in thier tummy and kill them.....I guess they'll kind of explode??? IDK, but I'm pretty sure you're right that weirdbuglady shouldn't read this post, lol

PAC May 25, 2008 at 12:03 PM  

Gulp...I dislike any bug and the thought of ants..acck!! I hope you figure out what to do!

Kilkennycat May 25, 2008 at 12:31 PM  

Eeep!!! I'm definitely not a fan of bugs. It's now ant season here so I've spotted a few little black ones here in the basement. I head they don't cross chalk lines, so I took my cheese shredder and shredded some chalk along the window sills and baseboards. I haven't seen any strays in the past day, but it may be because we had thunderstorms... It's worth a try though! (plus it's non-toxic, since I have 3 cats and 2 kids)

hy May 25, 2008 at 2:05 PM  

yikes!
no advice really, just good luck!

anne May 25, 2008 at 2:24 PM  

Yikes. I would move! I'm pretty grossed out by bugs. The basement of our apartment has roaches, despite the terminators coming to spray every two weeks. I swear, if one ever comes into my apartment, I'm gone.

Unknown May 25, 2008 at 7:18 PM  

Oh no. That is such a gross story. I hate bugs... and I am moving to Abilene next weekend!! Great, I can imagine the bug infestations all over my clothes already!

Hybrid Hopes May 27, 2008 at 2:44 AM  

borax + google will be your salvation from ants!

Art Kitten May 27, 2008 at 11:41 AM  

We had an ant problem a couple of months ago in our bathroom, hundreds of them crawling over every piece of clothes we would leave in there (we can be messy people) Maya woke up one night to use the bathroom, and woke us up crying unable to get off the toilet because there were literally hundreds crawling all over a sock right in front of her, poor girl. We used ant poison (the kind in the black circular containers that they take to the nests) and it seemed to do the trick. I feel for you!

BeckyKay May 29, 2008 at 4:29 PM  

I swear, woman! You have the WORST luck when it comes to creepy crawlies!! I hope you figure out a way to get rid of them!

Tia Colleen May 29, 2008 at 5:54 PM  

UPDATE: The ants are gone! Christopher put like 5 different ant baits in the closet and shut the door. Last time he checked, they were all dead in the corner. And the clothes are clean now :)

I know becky, right??

Carrie January 10, 2010 at 4:25 AM  

scoripons? you're telling me i have to worry about those little buggers, too? snakes and man eating wolf spiders i know all to well. somebody failed to mention scorpions...and i live in the death trap stuccos...

Post a Comment