Hello, Goodfellow!

Thursday, March 1, 2012

Would you believe me if I told you that I was sitting here listening to a real live harpist, while subconciously typing this? Because I am.

Other sounds are: the rustle of freshly unfolded garbage bags being pulled from their carts, shaken out, and replacing the old bags. Mama's whispering goodbye to thier Mama's as they doze off to sleep after what I'm sure was a long and exhausting day for both. And the intercom announcing that the cafateria will be closing at 6:00 (good thing my family is bringing me homemade pasta), which I'd bet has a few folks rethinking their dinnertime meal plans- it was bread roll night you know?

But- lets just focus in on and get back to the beautiful orchestra melodies echoing down the hallway. Because- it, is, gorgeous. She just played the theme music from The Notebook. ...thats so good you know I couldn't make it up.

And to really paint a pretty picture for you: I'm snuggled in a tan plaid snuggie (gifted to me by my husband, who clearly knows the way to my heart)
- fingers barely poking out of the extra long furry sleeves, unwashed dreads tangled into a slept upon knot that rests on the very top of my head, peices sticking out in every direction, and- the best part- I haven't changed my clothes in 3 days (Christopher is on the way with a fresh pair of underwear, a toothbrush, and all 3 of my wonderful babies).

Lets make the best of all of this, shall we? Uninterupted sleep, and the chance to upload some sadly neglected photos. In other words: a chance to catch my breath.

We've been at Goodfellow AFB for about a month now. And we love it. It suits us. Looking back, the transition from there to here was a lot easier than we had anticipated- but of course, it came along with a few minor
(thankfully not major) bumps in the road, the way that every move does. Saying goodbye to such good friends was probably the hardest part. Walking away from the house that we had lived and loved in for so long- there just aren't words. BUT- now here we are. Writing new chapters and documenting new adventures. I'd say we're adjusting quite well- making big changes and putting whats important right here on the front burner beside the tea kettle- this is our new home (temporarily, at least), and we are giving it our all.

The stars aligned just so, and we were able to move straight into our new home- skipping the second round of hotel living that we had so been dreading. Things scattered across the floor from one wall to the other- the kids set up camp in the living room, while Christopher and I
(and the cat) took the family room.

The actual drive from base to base wasn't so bad- the baby slept while the older two watched a movie (Geez, they are so spoiled). It was just all of the uproar of eating in the car and using the housing office bathroom and chasing the cat around in a grassy field and all the usual twists and turns that take place when you're leaving one place for another. Resting their heads on their pillows was welcomed.

And as soon as our eyes popped open the next morning, it was go-time. We set Charlie and Eleanore up with their portable DVD babysitter (again, I know- I'm not proud of it), and I strapped the baby to my back in the ergo, because well- thats just the only way to get shit done.

So we moved things. All day. For hours, and hours, and hours, and hours. We unloaded until our hands were blistered and our backs were sore.

And then Christopher says something along the lines of "oops, I forgot to weigh the truck while it was full". Oh, my, God. ...now, the only way to get payed for a do it yourself move in the military, is to weigh the truck while its both empty, and full- that way they know how much stuff you moved, and can pay you accordingly. I could have died. He, could have died, had I not put down my weapon and just let it go. I won't even bother telling you how the story unfolded, just use your imagination. Insert choice words, and then some loving forgiveness, and an empty bank account. You win some, you lose some, right? Gotta play with the hand you're dealt, yadda yadda.

After we got the washer and dryer unloaded, the last two things (which happened to be the heaviest), we let the kids go for a romp in the moving truck. This, they had been dying to do all day.

"And finally!", Evelyn must have been thinking, "I can get down and stretch those made to move toddler legs"!

Back and forth, back and forth. Up the walk, down the walk, up the walk down the walk. Stop to pick up an acorn. Back and forth. Walk walk walk, run run fall, up the walk down the walk, lah di dah.

Yep- so that was that. A move well done. Our first PCS- a success.

And then comes the getting settled in. The adjustment period. Figuring out where the best place to put the coats and shoes is (in a big heaping pile by the back door? Okay!), figuring out what toys go where (the kids have their own play room), how to get the couch to fit into the room that we want it in without busting the vintage walls down (that wall is coming down if it has to, dangit!), and figuring out where in the heck to get good drinking water, because this stuff tastes like dirt!

Eleanore is big into chai tea right now. We've started a tea cup collection so that we can drink our tea from a different cup every day. Tea with Daddy is the best.

Evelyn is big into belly buttons, and boobies. Not hers, but everyone elses.

And mirrors. They all love this mirror. We've kept it at ground level just so that they can watch themselves talk/play/dance.

On Valentines Day, Eleanore planted her I Love You bean seed that Grammy sent to her. Hers and Charlie's are both sitting in the window sill now, sprouting up into beautiful ... um... I Love You beans. They're also constantly getting knocked over when the kids play kingdom of whatever with the couch cushions, and when the cat plays "kill the I Love You bean".

Charlie made Daddy a special Valentine while Elie was away at school and Evelyn was napping. He glued all by himself, colored all by himself, and had a crying fit when we tried to trace his hand (which I eventually forced upon him, btw- it was just torture for him). Making things for other people is important. We need to show other people that we care. ..."yets watch dinosyoys", he says in reply. Good talk.

Sometimes we wear pillows as hats.

Sometimes we help Daddy build shelves.

There is almost always jelly on our faces.

And even on our roughest days, when we're not feeling so well, or when we've just gotten over stimulated- we take a deep breath, and we just are.

Big changes, round these parts. Big celebrations, big adventures, and big changes.

Well now- I've got my pictures uploaded, I've got clean teeth and clean underwear (Eleanore made sure to point out "ew Mom, you stink!" before going back home for lunch), and I've got a feast of peanut butter and jelly rice cakes in a bag beside my bed that are calling my name. Hopefully I'll be out of here tomorrow. A quick trip to the ER for some glucose seemed to go a little bit differently than expected. I haven't had a seizure today, for the first day since this attack started. I hope to keep up the trend, and maybe go a day without nurses wiping my snot off of my face for me (its always funny when I look back on it, but sooooo embarrassing in real time). Good vibes. Fingers crossed. You know the drill.

Mom, Dad, Kalii, Grammy, Grauntie, bloggy friends- I hope you like the pictures. Sorry I've been gone for so long. Maybe I'll visit the web more often :)

Post a Comment