Home Chapter One Our Vegan Lifestyle Likes Comment-Free

French Braids and Buttons

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

There are little things about being a little girl, that make a childhood what it is. Most of those things go by without notice, things that we don't really stop to think about.

Learning how to wash your hands. Learning how to properly apply toothpaste to a toothbrush. Learning how to jump up into the air. Learning how to drink out of a real cup, versus a sippy. Those kinds of things.


I'm trying to pause more often.
I'm trying to make the time.

She won't remember these things when shes older. Or maybe she will?
So thats where I come in.



Her first french braids.

Getting her to sit still wasn't as big of a challenge as I thought it would be. Getting my fingers to work the way they needed to though, well that was.

"Stop moving your head. Look up. Elie look up. Eleanore stop moving your head!".

And in the end it was worth it, wasn't it?

She twirled around in front of the mirror, over and over again, telling herself how pretty she looked.

Just as it should have been.



Buttoning your first button.

I don't remember buttoning my first button, its just something that I've always known how to do.
But I guess I didn't always know how to do it.

The look of concentration and determination on Elie's face. It was priceless. It was a moment that I felt blessed to witness.




French braids & buttons, my dear.
Some of the very best parts of a little girl's childhood.

12 comments:

They call me mommy... November 3, 2010 at 8:05 AM  

How sweet, her face is pricless! What a great moment to catch momma!

Devon November 3, 2010 at 8:10 AM  

i love when little girls have french braids! she looks so sweet!

CourtneyKeb November 3, 2010 at 8:12 AM  

I noticed her french braids in some pictures you'd posted somewhere before, and it took me back to a sweet place between my mother's legs having my hair braided as a little girl.

Eli looks adorable, and major mom points to ya for capturing the first button. Genius!

April November 3, 2010 at 8:13 AM  

Such a pretty girl! Great job on the hair!

Megan Harmeyer November 3, 2010 at 10:00 AM  

Her braids look great! And her button face is priceless. Almost makes me want a girl. Almost.

Lacey November 3, 2010 at 11:51 AM  

the very day I found out I was having a girl, I remember thinking to myself..."must learn how to french braid" because like you said, it's just one of those things every little girl has to experience - their mother french braiding their hair.

Allison November 3, 2010 at 12:23 PM  

She looks so beautiful and... when did she grow up so much?! I think slowing down is a great idea. Convince her to do it too!

beka November 3, 2010 at 1:37 PM  

Yep, I testify to the fact it's difficult to do french braids on squirmy little girls! hehe:) But it's so worth the effort--pretty:)

Definitely a part of a girl's childhood. My older sister did those in my hair....nevermind the fact that I screamed. Nowadays I have a not-that-sensitive head/scalp. Hah.

Anonymous,  November 3, 2010 at 1:54 PM  

she right there...is a reason why I want a daughter. There is endless amounts of beautiful and priceless moments..and hey, we can't braid our son's hair!

Nicole November 4, 2010 at 4:33 AM  

She will totally remember the braids! I do!

Amanda November 5, 2010 at 11:32 PM  

I love her face as she works on her button. That's a perfect moment :) You always have such great pictures! You're kids will love these when they're older.

MM November 8, 2010 at 2:03 PM  

god she's adorable.
nice photos.

Post a Comment