Home Chapter One Our Vegan Lifestyle Likes Comment-Free

One Month Old

Thursday, September 9, 2010


Since Evelyn has been born, we've had a very small selection of clothing for her. Its not that we don't have clothes for her, because we do- we've got an entire closet full, and then some. We just don't have clothes that fit her, right now.

Every day we choose between the same 5 or 6 outfits that are small enough for her to wear. Gerber, Child of Mine, and Faded Glory size "Newborn", or "NB" seem to be the smallest. She swims in anything Carters, and anything labeled "0-3" you can forget about.

When she was born smaller than we expected, my Grammy and Aunt Peg, who both live way over in California, rushed out to thrift for the smallest clothes they could find. I sent Christopher to the Airman's Attic on a hunt for anything "preemie" or the like, and my neighbor across the street went on an expedition for similar sizes. Even with all of that help, Evelyn's wardrobe has still been very limited.



Well last night, we put her into one of her usual sleepers, the pink one with the colored polka dots, the ruffle butt, and the little teddy bears on the feet- not my favorite, but one that fits, and one that I've grown to love.

As Christopher was picking her up to burp her, her shoulder slid out of the sleeve.

Wait- what?

Her shoulder slid out of the sleeve.
My little girl is growing.

He held her up, she stretched out her legs, and sure enough- her newborn sleeper was too small.



Since shes been born, shes been "little Evelyn", the tiny little baby that has to be kept bundled up, because she still can't regulate her own body temperature. The little bittle, that has to be woken up every two hours to eat, or her blood sugar will crash. The barely-6-pounder that I have to hold extra close to my chest so she can feel and hear my heartbeat at all times.

But today, exactly one month after she was born- shes wearing a different brand of size "Newborn", and not wrapped up quite so snuggly in a fleece blanket. Her preemie binky is long gone, having been replaced with a larger size and a different color. And her beautiful blue eyes aren't always closed so tightly, they're often open and looking around.

*******

Oh, pretty baby- the last month with you has been a dream come true.
But slow down?

And always know how much we love you.

21 comments:

considerthelillies September 9, 2010 at 10:22 AM  

what a little angel! That month flew by!

Unknown September 9, 2010 at 10:28 AM  

a month already?? that went fast!

she is such a beauty =)

Colleen September 9, 2010 at 10:32 AM  

Really? A month already?

I'm glad she's doing so well and growing so fast.

Alyssa S. September 9, 2010 at 11:27 AM  

The grow into those things...and out of them SOOO fast. Amelia was only 6 lbs when she left the hospital. We didn't get anything preemie, we just kind of made do with the too big stuff until she grew into it...and she did...and then right out of them! She stalled in her 3-6 months for a while...and 6-9 months, but then she's been steadily racing through sizes ever since!

Happy one month!

Unknown September 9, 2010 at 11:49 AM  

OH CUTENESS! and heeeeey, that onesie looks familiar! :)

CourtneyKeb September 9, 2010 at 11:54 AM  

Every time I see that precious baby I just want to fast forward to February when I'm due.

I miss holding something that tiny!

Devon September 9, 2010 at 12:45 PM  

it went so fast!! so sweet!

soul_searching_mama September 9, 2010 at 1:01 PM  

Awwwwww :) That month really did go by quick! I cried when Johnny grew out of his first size of clothes...it's hard watching them grow up so quick! Hug that precious little baby for me!

Michelle September 9, 2010 at 3:58 PM  

She's so beautiful... Happy 1 month! :)

CraftGirlAlli September 9, 2010 at 4:22 PM  

Happy 1 month!

It's amazing how fast they grow!

Jess Craig September 9, 2010 at 6:35 PM  

i love that she's so petite. it's okay if she isn't fitting in everything. she's still so beautiful.

They call me mommy... September 9, 2010 at 6:47 PM  

Aww! Time does fly it seems like just yesterday you were telling us that you were having a little girl (in the cutest way ever btw) Hold on to these precious little moments while you can!

XmasDolly September 9, 2010 at 11:32 PM  

My youngest was a preemie too 3lbs. 4oz. I didn't get to bring her home until she was 4.8 - She had the same prob where nothing fit her. We were in the store one day when my oldest daughter said, Hey Mom, this will fit Missy & laughed. Doll clothes. Yep, my daughter wore doll clothes until she was two months old & she was a "living" doll. Your little girl is the sweetest! Thanks for sharing.

OliveStreetStudio September 10, 2010 at 6:42 AM  

Congratulations on your beautiful Evelyn - from the pictures she looks like your husband...happy 1 month!

Chelsey - The Paper Mama September 10, 2010 at 8:58 AM  

Wow, time is flying by! Those photos are wonderful.

Christina September 10, 2010 at 9:52 AM  

Her hair color is so pretty! She is adorable.

Amy September 10, 2010 at 11:52 AM  

Might be weird, but I love mottled baby skin! She's so sweet, Tia!

beka September 10, 2010 at 2:57 PM  

Awwww.
These pictures are the sweetest:)
Isn't it amazing when they start to fill out??

Anonymous,  September 10, 2010 at 6:42 PM  

Ok, Tia. You had me at the first baby picture I saw. You had me at the picture of your son with his daddy and the bike. You had me at the names of your daughters. All are adorable. I'm a sucker for babies. I'm a grandmother and a preschool teacher and I just like kids. I also enjoy blog-hopping and followed the crumbs to your blog, which is how I got here, but can't remember which crumb led me here. Anyway, I'm here and enjoyed reading.

Liz (aka Ninny, 'cuz that's what my grandchildren call me.)

Chelsea September 11, 2010 at 1:24 PM  

she is so beautiful tia.

wow.

and that photo of your hubby with her is priceless.

Post a Comment