Home Chapter One Our Vegan Lifestyle Likes Comment-Free

Oh, Charlie

Monday, September 6, 2010

Little Charlie.
Only, he isn't quite so little anymore.

He was, though, the day before we brought his baby sister into the world. I remember carrying him down the stairs on my right hip, that morning, and then in the days following- Christopher and I repeating "hes just so big now", to each other 10 times a day.

He grew a foot taller, learned 100 new words, and gained an entirely new (and very disliked) sense of independence.



He loves trucks.

No, I mean- really loves trucks.

We're not sure where this infatuation comes from, since we don't have a truck (we rock the mini van), and his interest for trucks seemed to blossom before he had even layed eyes on a toy truck. One day a truck drove by, and that was it.

Our neighbor across the street, they have a truck. A big, loud, mud truck. When Charlie hears it coming down the street, he throws his Lovey off to the side, yanks his binky out of his mouth (because you can't run with a binky in your mouth, right?), throws that too, and hauls little toddler butt to the front window, hoping to get the best seat in the house for the truck show.

He drives his toy trucks along the window sil, sometimes taking a detour over to the couch where Mommy and Evelyn sit for a midday nursing sessions. He drives his trucks up and down the Boppy pillow, over little fingers and toes, and eventually they end up in his mouth, where he'll chew on them until he remembers the ejected binky from earlier, that lay all by itself in the middle of a pile of duplo blocks on the other side of the house.



And oh my little boy, you are so tired.

It used to be, that he couldn't sleep anywhere other than his crib. Sometimes, if we were lucky, he'd fall asleep in his car seat while we were out and about, but almost always- he had to be in his crib.

These days, he'll literally fall asleep standing up. He did it twice yesterday.

Wherever he is, whether it be while eating dinner in his high chair while still holding a fork full of potatoes- or while laying on the floor reading a book... we simply cover him up, and hope that he drifts off into a sweet sweet dream long enough to recharge and awake with a smile
.


Look at that ridiculous happy smile.

In between tantrums and refusing to eat his broccoli, he sure does melt our hearts.

And of course, he goes straight for Daddy's work boots, the minute that Christopher walks through the door. His boots, his belt, his wallet. Give all of it to me Dad, I want to be just like you!

They'll play together for hours (or, usually until dinner is ready). Christopher will get down on the play mat, build a great big block tower, and then plow toy ambulances and dump trucks through it as fast as he can, causing Charlie to erupt in giggles. And just when you'd think that Charlie couldn't possibly laugh any harder, Daddy swoops him up and tosses him into the air, making jet and helicopter sounds.



Mister Charlie, how fast you're growing.

20 comments:

Gianni September 6, 2010 at 11:53 AM  

Awe Charlie :) He's such a cutie. I'm pregnant with my first, and it's a boy. I can't wait to watch his personality grow.

Charmaine Poulin September 6, 2010 at 12:41 PM  

Those arms......I could eat them up! Lucky...Lily still has them for me to nibble.....

Such a sweet post!

Allison September 6, 2010 at 1:01 PM  

I'v decided I love all your posts. He does look suddenly older. Oh, our babies grow way too fast.

Rogue Wild September 6, 2010 at 1:04 PM  

aaawww he has the sweetest smile, you're right!

I remember when my niece was born, 2 years after my son. I thought my son was soooooo small and then she comes along in all her tininess and newborn diapers and tiny soft cry. Then theres my 2 yr old son running through the living room lol ... it was a big shock to realize how big he was, cuz they are ALWAYS our baby no matter how big they get ;o)

TexasBobbi September 6, 2010 at 1:42 PM  

Be still my heart, the sleeping pictures are just too cute.

Kalii September 6, 2010 at 1:45 PM  

aw! baby boy! it's good to read that he's doing alright with all the changes that have been going on :)

Devon September 6, 2010 at 3:28 PM  

"he falls asleep standing up"... that made me laugh out loud as i pictured it! too cute! he really does seem so big compared to evelyn!!! i love how he loves his Lovey...

They call me mommy... September 6, 2010 at 3:34 PM  

Awww Charlie is the cutest (: You are so amazing when you write about your little ones it just melts my heart to hear all the stories filled with the love that you have for them! The pictures are amazing as usual I Love the ones of him smiling with the little shadow in the background (: And you are right he does look older but still so darn cute! I also love the sleeping pictures because it is always precious to see a baby (I mean BIG boy) all tuckered out! Hope he is adjusting a little better to his new sister (:

Whaley89 September 6, 2010 at 3:46 PM  

Aww this was precious. I have a 2 year old daughter who I think is tiny but I know when our new baby boy comes in Jan she will be so big. :(

jill September 6, 2010 at 3:52 PM  

um, why am i crying right now? maybe because i worry a lot about bringing baby numero two into our already perfect little family and reading this post and the amazing way you put words together make me feel alright about it. that everything will be fine. and is it normal for me to want to be best friends with you and your family? charlie is like the cutest little guy! i cant get over it!

soul_searching_mama September 6, 2010 at 4:38 PM  

Awwwwwwww :) Charlie is so adorable and he is getting older! I think it is the hardest for the parents to think they are the "big boy" rather than their baby even if others have noticed it for a while. I'm going through the same emotions almost daily with Johnny - it is amazing to watch him grow and at the same time I want to push "pause" and keep him this little forever. It's probably a good thing we don't get our way... Thank you for sharing this with us and I hope that Charlie gets some good rest soon! What a sweet adorable little boy. :)

beka September 6, 2010 at 5:15 PM  

Oh my word.
He really did get bigger.
Like, really.
Dang!
But he's cute:)
And it's so funny how they fall asleep, isn't it?

Anonymous,  September 6, 2010 at 8:06 PM  

This was wayyy cute! I know exactly what you are going through, our Little Clover...isn't so little anymore...Sad, they grow wayy fast!

CraftGirlAlli September 6, 2010 at 8:50 PM  

omg...he is so stinkin cute!!! love it!

Kunklebaby September 7, 2010 at 7:09 AM  

He is so amazingly adorable!! Love that little smile!

Nothing like having a new baby to make the other children seem "extra" grown up all the sudden! I feel you on that one! :D

Oh Mandie September 7, 2010 at 8:24 AM  

He certainly is a BIG brother, isn't he? Little Charlie isdefinatly not a baby any more and has quite the little personality :)

Boy oh boy!

Brooke @ Blushing Noir September 7, 2010 at 8:46 AM  

PS - passed you a bloggie award! go check it out!

Chelsea September 7, 2010 at 10:00 AM  

he is SOOOOOO cute with that truck!

Post a Comment