Home Chapter One Our Vegan Lifestyle Likes Comment-Free

A Bad Picture Is Better Than No Picture

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

I've got nothing to blog about. Nothing cute and bubbly, at least.

I could talk for hours, about diapers and screaming toddlers. I could write an entire novel, at this point, on how my four year old refuses to listen to a word that I say, and would rather be locked in her room with nothing but a sheet on her bed, instead of picking up her toys or speaking nicely to her brother.

Instead though, because I'll save all of that "being a parent is hard" drama for another day, I thought maybe I could share a really bad picture...



Either I'm awesomely photogenic, Evelyn too- or Christopher is just that good with the camera.

I used to be really picky about picture taking, and which images would get to make the big journey through the cord from the camera to the computer. I'd go through and delete anything that didn't display perfect lighting or the stillest of still shots- blurs and moving smiles were totally out of the question.

I was crazy OCD about it.

But recently, as I see pictures from earlier days pop up on our screen saver, I realize how ten years from now, none of that will matter. I won't care if I had a double chin in this shot, or if the flash in that shot is bouncing off of Eleanore's face so hard it comes back and blinds me.

And just like that, my obsession with capturing the moment just so, has vanished.

What, a, relief.
to be over that.


But... with that being said-
Thats still a really bad picture, haha.



That ones a little bit better, right? At least in that one, Evelyn looks cute, snuggled up all cozy-like in my lap, while I try to shoo away Christopher and his obnoxious Hollywood photographer impression.

It gets better, though. Really, not sarcastically...



Ah, there we go.

A little (ok, a lot) un-showered, totally exhausted and ready for bed 5 minutes ago, but- its another moment that I'll be so glad we documented, outtakes included.

Even if the moment didn't have any real meaning- I was just sitting on the couch, holding my newborn while her brother and sister slept upstairs... its those little moments here and there that I don't do a good enough job of capturing.

Or, that Christopher doesn't do a good job of capturing, heee.

14 comments:

jill September 7, 2010 at 6:23 PM  

ahahaha! when i saw the first picture i was like, thats not too bad. but then i looked down at evelyns little face and lost it! too funny. i used to be the same way with pictures but now i realize how funny they can be and save them all!

Unknown September 7, 2010 at 6:41 PM  

Oh man, Evelyn's face in that first picture CRACKED ME UP! So cute! Those not-so-great photos are often the best!

Jess Craig September 7, 2010 at 7:04 PM  

i have this thing where i always love the pictures of me that others normally hate. like, i like the ones where my eyes are closed and i'm in the middle of talking. in fact, my facebook picture is a pic of me and wyatt and i'm in the middle of a blink and i'm laughing and talking. i think those are the best shots for some reason.

Jess Craig September 7, 2010 at 7:34 PM  

hey, i posted this sorta in your honor.

http://irocksowhat.blogspot.com/2010/09/hanging.html

Rachel Elizabeth September 7, 2010 at 7:34 PM  

But awesomely bad pictures are oh so fun!

CourtneyKeb September 7, 2010 at 7:43 PM  

So apparently your 'bad' picture is how I look regularly.
I say this because my 19month old daughter passed by the computer while the first photo was on and she stopped dead in her tracks and said, "Hey I see mama, hey mama!"

lol loved this post!

Allison September 7, 2010 at 7:57 PM  

They're still good pictures because they capture a moment. And in the top one your teeth look movie star white. So there.

My most recent favorite picture of my son is completely blurry. Not a speck of it is in focus. But you can tell he is running like crazy with a huge smile and a fire helmet on his head and that's what matters. I don't think I'd like it as much if it were in focus.

You're doing great! (And my friend has been reading "the strong willed child" for her 4 year old and says it's made a MAJOR difference in her behavor. I bet the library there has it.)

Anonymous,  September 7, 2010 at 9:52 PM  

first off..the pictures of charlie below are absolutely precious..especially when he's sleeping! you look great in all of the pictures...christopher should do that more often! : )

.adri. September 7, 2010 at 10:18 PM  

ohmygoodness! her face is sooo cute in that first picture!!!!!!! :o)

Mommy Elephant Sarah September 7, 2010 at 11:23 PM  

Ha! So true about not caring in 10 years! Looks like you are raising the roof in the second picture! :D

You are lucky neither kid tried to climb out of the crib. 1 solid week of finding M playing in his room out of the crib is what drove us to the tent and the major fail of the toddler bed.

Alita September 8, 2010 at 9:30 AM  

ha ha ha.... I remember those days. We have rules about pictures taken with me in them around here. Rules that MUST be followed. lol!

Colleen September 8, 2010 at 10:31 AM  

You are so much braver than I am, but I'm working on it! That last shot is rather cute. :)

Anika September 8, 2010 at 12:42 PM  

These are great!

Post made me smile...

Nicole September 10, 2010 at 4:00 PM  

I really like these photos!

Post a Comment