Home Chapter One Our Vegan Lifestyle Likes Comment-Free

Flashback Friday: Under The Streetlight

Thursday, September 2, 2010



I don't talk very much, about the days before my title as Wife and Mother. Theres no real reason for that, I guess its just that when I think back to it all, my memories are so good, and so sacred- that I'm not sure I'd ever be able to find the right words to do my adventures justice.

Tonight on my way home from the commissary, a last minute trip, just me and baby, for nothing other than 6 half gallons of soy milk- something triggered a series of still shots in my head (I think it was maybe the song on the radio combined with the pending sunset over the desert), that brought me back to this place...




So thats where I am, right now, while I type this. I'm not sitting uncomfortably on the couch, overheating as a result of my netbook's lack of cooling pad, as it balances on the one knee not occupied by my snoring newborn. I'm not waiting for my husband to come back downstairs, from tucking in an exhausted and screaming toddler who passed out in his high chair with a piece of un chewed chicken in his mouth, and then woke up half an hour later- angrily in his crib, wondering where the heck his dinner went. I'm not waiting anxiously to finish up our kinda-pathetic attempt at having a date night, by watching the movie "Date Night" on demand (which has been paused 3 times since it started, and we're not even 20 minutes into it), which will probably be followed up with doing the dishes, picking up stuffed animal friends, and then passing out with spitup on my shoulder.

Nope, not tonight.

I'm back at that place, surrounded by that music, and those friends, under that sunset, still standing on that stage.
I'm the one in the bright red lipstick, with the sky high 1960's bouffant, sneaking shots from the flask hidden in the secret compartment in my purse . Say hello, if you run into me?


********************************
Flashback with us! Go through your polaroids, scrapbooks, old crappy cell phone pictures- whatever you've got. Scan them, upload them, get them onto the computer somehow, and then share them with the world! Or... with us at least. Post them onto your blogs, write a little bit to go with them- tell us your story. When you're all finished, grab one of our buttons from down below (wayyyy down there at the bottom of our page) and put it somewhere inside your post (or link back to us the old fashioned text way). Come back here to this post, and add your link to the photo list below!



12 comments:

jill September 2, 2010 at 8:11 PM  

i just love the way you write. i have no idea who that band is but you just made me want to be in that crowd, free as can be!

Anonymous,  September 2, 2010 at 8:59 PM  

I really miss the days when I could just up and go to a concert and not search for a babysitter. I really REALLY miss warped tour...ahh!! I agree with Jill..your writing is...somewhat magical.

Kalii September 2, 2010 at 10:56 PM  

Oh man...that's totally a can of Tour Water on that amp. I remember how nasty that stuff was.

Oh Mandie September 2, 2010 at 11:14 PM  

Oh I love concerts. And I still totally reminisce about each and every one that I've ever been to. I feel like I'm right there with you Tia :)

I'd be the one in the tye dye tank top and ratty jeans :)

Tiffany Franklin September 3, 2010 at 1:12 AM  

this is a great challenge. Now I have a reason to find and scan all the old photos of my growing up I can find and of my husband! fun! I have a challenge join in and follow!

Emma September 3, 2010 at 2:45 AM  

Aaah, Alkaline Trio. My favourite band in the whole world! Love this post :)

CourtneyKeb September 3, 2010 at 7:03 AM  

I love how a lyric, or a melody, or even a smell can trigger a memory and just put you there.
I was just telling my husband last week that I felt like I was riding passenger again at 16 windows down, trying to prove to him I knew more lyrics than he did after hearing a song we used to listen to back then.

Nothing like a random time to revisit a good memory!

Unknown September 3, 2010 at 8:13 AM  

I miss those days! My daughter saw a "goth" (way-back-before-emo-was-cool) picture of me and said "Yeah, like that was actually you. Musta been Halloween." If she only knew how mommy used to be!

Alyssa S. September 3, 2010 at 10:12 AM  

This reminds me of when I saw Pearl Jam in 1993 on their first time out to Hawaii. I saw them on campus at the Univ of Hawaii. I remember almost being trampled by the crowd as they rushed the stage to get closer and how, once I got over the scare of almost being trampled, how I got caught up in the intense vibe of the whole experience. I'll never forget that concert. Ah, the good old days :)

Mommy Elephant Sarah September 3, 2010 at 3:42 PM  

That is all I spent my time doing when young with no responsibilities. How things have changed! ;)

CraftGirlAlli September 3, 2010 at 9:14 PM  

ahhh...warped tour?

I miss the concert days too... :(

Sarah T September 4, 2010 at 10:22 PM  

So awesome!! I love Alkaline Trio :). Even have the tat haha. They're great live. Awesome pictures!!

Post a Comment