Home Chapter One Our Vegan Lifestyle Likes Comment-Free

Pregnancy Brain

Tuesday, August 3, 2010

So while we didn't have a baby shower this time around (which I was originally all sorts of pouty about), we've had an overwhelming show of support and love. I've had packages pouring in these past couple of days, from both family and friends. Handmade soaps, bath bombs from Lush, handmade banners, little gifts purchased on an "I saw this and thought of you" whim- all very thoughtful and amazing things, that have melted my heart. And while I'm hoping to do a post on Thursday, to show you some of the things that have been gifted to me and my family, for now I just have to start off with this one gift in particular...

A package came in the other day, from my dear friend Lindsay over at Cook. Vegan. Lover.



I pulled it out of the box, and I stared at it. I let my eyes focus, and I watched.

...What is it? I wondered.

I turned it a little to one side, and then a little to the other. I wiggled its horn with my index finger, and then took a deep breath.

...Seriously, what the hell is this thing?

I looked for fins. I looked for flippers. I really thought it had to be some kind of a narwhal or other sea creature, but- narwhals aren't yellow? And... ok its not a freakin' narwhal, I need to get that out of my head.

And while I'm sitting here, completely baffled by what I'm holding in my hands, Christopher is behind me in the kitchen laughing, as he re stocks the fridge with the things we had just bought home from the grocery store.

"I don't get it. What is it?", I kept asking. "I think this is some kind of horn, what else could it be?".

And he just laughed.

"Why are you laughing? I don't know what the hell it is!", I yelled out in frustration. By this point, I had been looking at the dang thing for at least five minutes, and just as my iron deficient blood was about to boil over...


23 comments:

BeckyKay August 3, 2010 at 11:47 AM  

LOL! Love it! Sometimes a person's brain just gets stuck. :)

Nancy (Jesse and Sophia's grandma) August 3, 2010 at 11:59 AM  

LOL! Just came at it from the wrong angle.

Mrs Mar August 3, 2010 at 12:22 PM  

LOL, too funny, yeh stuped brains...

Jessica August 3, 2010 at 12:23 PM  

haha, thats awesome! Thanks for the laugh! I totally needed it! ;-)

Allison August 3, 2010 at 12:34 PM  

Haha. I'd totally do that. And it's such a cute chick a dee too!

This Little Bird August 3, 2010 at 12:39 PM  

ha ha ... too cute and funny. Pregnancy really does turn your brain to mush though so you have a good excuse :) If you couldn't figure out what the duck was then I'm sure as hell know your not gonna get the stuffie that I sent! ha ha.

Beautiful duckie by the way... Evelyn is one lucky little girl already!

considerthelillies August 3, 2010 at 12:59 PM  

that is like something I would do, and it's been decades since I have been pregnant! Praying for a good time for you and Evelyn!

Oh Mandie August 3, 2010 at 1:32 PM  

thats not pregnancy brain my friend, thats mommy brain!

Mrs. Mommy August 3, 2010 at 1:36 PM  

LOL! I love it!!! I always thought pregnancy brain was a myth...until I was pregnant!!!

It's a very cute little duck. :0)

Chelsea August 3, 2010 at 2:21 PM  

how stinking cute are you!

<3

Christina August 3, 2010 at 2:40 PM  

hehehe I love it. I have done stuff like that before!

Anonymous,  August 3, 2010 at 3:36 PM  

I still have pregnancy brain and my baby is going to be a year old soon - guess I can't blame it on being pregnant anymore. Anyways - you're hilarious! I could totally see myself doing the same thing.

Fallon August 3, 2010 at 5:32 PM  

Hilarious, that is what you are =) The duck is absolutley adorable!

Sarah August 3, 2010 at 5:41 PM  

Too funny! And the duckie is adorable.

Johanna August 3, 2010 at 6:05 PM  

Hi Tia! I've missed you!!!!
Sorry I've been away from your blog but I've been thinking of you and wondering if little Evelyn has made her debut yet....I don't think she has.
I hope you are feeling well and hope that your labour and delivery go well.
I started making something for Evelyn before we packed our house up and moved but I didnt get to finish it. It will be made and I will send it to you- but it will probably be a while still....
hope you are all well....xoxo

beka August 3, 2010 at 8:00 PM  

OMG, Tia.
Too funny!
You're cute. Seriously.

Anonymous,  August 3, 2010 at 10:07 PM  

this definitely made me smile today!!

Loddelina August 4, 2010 at 2:40 AM  

Love the duck!

I feel your last days discomfort and wish you a happy countdown...

All the best!

Alyssa S. August 4, 2010 at 6:22 AM  

Poor Momma :) I saw the bill and was like, "um, isn't that a duck?" When I was preggie with Merrick, we were still living in Boston in a high rise. We were in the parking garage and I had to go back up to the apartment to get something. I got off the elevator and went to our door and couldn't figure out why my keys wouldn't work in the door. It was 7 am on a Sunday, I was rattling the hell out of this door, then I looked up and saw I was on the wrong floor! I was trying to get into someone else's apartment. I'm just glad I didn't wake anyone! Bottom line, it happens to us all :)

thepunkrockmom August 6, 2010 at 1:38 AM  

Hilarious! I love this story!
<3MaryAnne

Post a Comment