Home Chapter One Our Vegan Lifestyle Likes Comment-Free

Evelyn June

Friday, August 13, 2010

I'm leaning up against a pile of pillows, the same set that I called "my nest" during my pregnancy, on the couch looking out over Eleanore and Charlie, as they sit on the floor below me watching Shrek 2. My toes are curled up against Christopher's camo shorts, and I can't help but notice the ridiculous smile that keeps peeking out from behind his exhaustion, as Eleanore repeats every, single, thing, that Donkey says. And in my husbands arms... our 5 day old daughter. A teeny tiny little person, wrapped up in a bundle of blankets that sways up and down every time her Daddy takes a breath.

Its a beautiful sight.


I'm not going to write out my complete birth story, detail for detail- I've never really been into that sort of thing. I like reading the birth stories of others, but I think that the birth of my child, is a very private and personal time. That being said- I do want to share some of it with you...




Evelyn June was born on 08-09-10, at 12:39 pm.

She weighed 6 pounds, 3.5 ounces.

And she was 19 inches long.



Kind of amazing, isn't she?

Ok, so she looks a little... alien (?), there. But even being only a minute or two old, covered in all sorts of baby-growing goop, with her eyes getting an overdose of vaseline- she manages to take my breath away.



I won't write about the pain that I endured, leading up to her delivery. I refer to it (in my head at least), as the 5 steps of beast versus beauty. The very worst of the surgery prep and process, that in the end, doesn't matter.

I will write though, about how I layed frozen on the operating table, both in reality and in time, waiting waiting waiting, staring into my husbands play-it-cool eyes, silently, anxious to hear the first cries of Evelyn. Towards the end of the surgery, I couldn't feel much more than emotion, yet I knew the very instant that she had been born into the world. Before the doctor could announce her gender, or say anything about her strawberry blond hair, I shouted (or maybe it was more of a mumble) "Is she born? Can I see her?"

The doctor laughed a little, said something about how he still needed to cut her cord, and told Christopher to stand up and take a look.

"Is she beautiful? What does she look like? Let me see her!" I begged, "Please!".

And then there she was. Being held over the blue curtain, small as could be, choking on a "hello Mommy" cry, just within arms reach, had I had arms to reach with.



I should have slept, while in recovery. I closed my eyes after Christopher and Evelyn left the room, but anytime a dream would start to appear, I'd quickly wake myself up, not willing to fall into a deep sleep. I'd focus on a new object in the operating room, an instrument that surely had saved a life, maybe mine, or a crack on the wall, wondering how long it had been there and what had caused it. The thought of drifting away was all too scary, when the only thing I could think about was holding my daughter for the first time.

And when that moment finally came, it was worth all five parts of the beast. It was worth every kick to the rib, every day of my facial numbness and paralysis, every sleepless night that seemed to float away on a heartburn coated cloud.

I brushed my fingers through her light fluffy hair. I told her all of the things that a mother waits to tell their newborn. I nursed her until she sank into a lullaby-like sleep.



No longer wearing his blue scrubs, which he must have traded in at some point for his new yellow nursery smock, Christopher held his newborn gently in his arms, unable to look away for even a second. They swayed side to side, back and forth.

His love for her is unmistakable.



I could hear Eleanore down the hall, running to my room fast as her feet would carry her, screaming "Evelyn!! Big sister is here!! Evelyn!! Mommy!! I'm here, I'm here!". All of the shushing in the world, couldn't calm or quiet her.

Even Charlie, unsure of who exactly this "Bean" character was, burst through the door and shouted "Beebee!!".

At the time, Evelyn was away, having an adventure all of her own, but after two long hours of waiting- Eleanore and Charlie finally got to meet their new baby sister.

"We're going to keep you forever and ever, Evelyn", Eleanore assured her, patting her head softly.



And almost as if someone had already clued her in, Evelyn let Daddy carry on his tradition of changing the first poopy diaper.



The teeniest, tiniest, little fingers that I've ever seen.



The softest skin.

That newborn baby smell.

And I just can't get over how she looks exactly like her big sister.



Shes only been with us for 5 days, and already we've all been through so much together. Our hearts are bigger, and our tear ducts exhausted.



With our breastfeeding every 2 hours, every hour and a half really, and our having spent so much time together alone in room 3102, usually with the tv turned off and the blinds open- Bean and I bonded easily.

Tonight Christopher gave her her very first bath. It wasn't until watching him wash her, singing to her and gently wiping water across her cheeks, that I realized how they haven't yet had a chance to bond.

He dipped the soapy cloth into the shallow water, quickly dabbled her skin here and there, moving as fast as he could so that her thin skin wouldn't get cold. It was almost as if I wasn't even there, the only two in the room were Daddy and Daughter.



So pull that hat off of your face, silly girl! Show the world your beautiful red hair, show the world your beautiful blue eyes!

We've waited so long to meet you.
We're so glad that you're here.

Welcome to our family, Evelyn June.

50 comments:

Adriana August 13, 2010 at 10:51 PM  

im crying!!!! she is prefect. so MANY MANY congrats to you and your beautiful family.
i now have a major case of (second) baby fever!

Sarah August 13, 2010 at 10:54 PM  

oh love, congratulations!!!! she is beautiful and her little face reminds me of her big sister's. i am so so so overwhelmingly happy for you and your little family.

congrats again. and much much love.
sg

Allison August 13, 2010 at 10:56 PM  

Congratulations! She's lovely.

Nancy (Jesse and Sophia's grandma) August 13, 2010 at 11:00 PM  

Congratulations!!! She is beautiful! Such a precious little bundle.

Lisa@goodknits August 13, 2010 at 11:10 PM  

me = teary eyed. she is so precious! i just LOVE her hair!

Fallon August 13, 2010 at 11:15 PM  

How sweet! Such a lucky girl being born into your loving family! Congratualtions to you all =)

Anonymous,  August 13, 2010 at 11:19 PM  

Oh Tia, she's just perfect. :) And that photo of Daddy Christopher & the kids melts even a cold callused heart like mine. haha (just kidding... kinda...)

Anonymous,  August 13, 2010 at 11:25 PM  

I can't wait to see her red hair! Tia, love, your post made me cry. She is beautiful.

Unknown August 13, 2010 at 11:25 PM  

She is absolutely beautiful!! Congrats you guys!

Blue Moon Girl August 13, 2010 at 11:32 PM  

Gorgeousness! I can't believe all the hair!! Just beautiful. I can't quit saying that! :o) Congratulations to all of you! Gorgeous happy family!

Megan August 13, 2010 at 11:45 PM  

<3 <3 <3

That's all I have to say.

Jessie C August 13, 2010 at 11:53 PM  

Wow. So amazing. :') Congrats, Tia and family!

Shawntae @ alittlekingandi August 14, 2010 at 12:03 AM  

She is soo perfect! Makes me want another baby damn you!! ;) Congrats you cute mommy! You wrote this out so beautifully. I hope you are healing up well too and now go enjoy her!! They grow soo fast!

Johanna August 14, 2010 at 12:12 AM  

Oh Tia,
Congratulations to you and the whole family! I'm so very happy for you and have been thinking of you often.
I hope the transition from 2 to 3 is going well....
and yes, she looks so much like Eleanore! Wow!
Welcome to the world beautiful Evelyn!

Lacey August 14, 2010 at 12:46 AM  

Perfection....just....PERFECTION!!

I look forward to watching her grow - watching her make you smile - watching her show her beautiful face all over your well-written blogs.

because you can never hear it enough in such a wonderful time...CONGRATULATIONS TIA, CHRISTOPHER, ELEANORE & CHARLIE!

Unknown August 14, 2010 at 12:47 AM  

Aw, seriously, I'm trying not to cry. You guys are such a beautiful family, Tia!! Just so genuinely loving and Evelyn couldn't be a luckier baby! She's so precious!

Mommy Elephant Sarah August 14, 2010 at 1:54 AM  

My first thought when I saw her was she looks exactly like her big sister! You make me want to have another baby! I am so happy for you and your lil family! Congrats! She is perfect!! Xoxo

Shannon August 14, 2010 at 5:52 AM  

I love her! What a gorgeous family, congratulaions!

Unknown August 14, 2010 at 5:54 AM  

Congratulation! She's Lovely

Devon August 14, 2010 at 6:52 AM  

yea yea yea!! congrats!! she is beautiful!!!!

This Little Bird August 14, 2010 at 7:24 AM  

wow... just when I thought I really was ok with just two children... you just made me want another. What a beautiful story... thanks so much for sharing.

She's absolutely beautiful and perfect... congrats to you and the family. Good luck on your new life and adventure as a family of 5.

Emily August 14, 2010 at 7:36 AM  

Congrats! She's beautiful. Seriously the nicest introduction to a new little one I've read.

Alita August 14, 2010 at 7:38 AM  

CONGRATULATIONS!!!


"We're going to keep you forever and ever, Evelyn", Eleanore assured her, patting her head softly."

-- had me in tears. LOVELY!

They call me mommy... August 14, 2010 at 8:23 AM  

Ohmygosh she is so beautiful, I cried reading this! What a precious family you have Tia my dear! Eleanore is also to adorable for words (= She is gonna be a great little helper! ♥
Oh, I LOVE that last pic of you two, beautiful ladies!

They call me mommy... August 14, 2010 at 8:23 AM  

Ohmygosh she is so beautiful, I cried reading this! What a precious family you have Tia my dear! Eleanore is also to adorable for words (= She is gonna be a great little helper! ♥
Oh, I LOVE that last pic of you two, beautiful ladies!

April August 14, 2010 at 8:25 AM  

She's P E R F E C T!!!!! I am so in love with the red hair!!!

Congrats again and treasure every single moment!

Renee August 14, 2010 at 8:31 AM  

Oh congratulations!!! She is just so beautiful! I am totally bawling my eyes out, lol! Thank you so much for sharing and congrats again!!!

Jess Craig August 14, 2010 at 8:32 AM  

you're right! she looks exactly like her big sister! i can't get over how alert she is too.

Kaylee August 14, 2010 at 9:22 AM  

She is beautiful! And reading your story made me tear up :) Precious - enjoy your time with her!

undomestic mama August 14, 2010 at 9:27 AM  

Congratulations, she's gorgeous.

Ashley Sisk August 14, 2010 at 9:46 AM  

Congratulations and welcome home Evelyn June!

Rogue Wild August 14, 2010 at 10:01 AM  

oh my, that brought tears to my eyes Tia.

Christina August 14, 2010 at 10:17 AM  

Nice to meet you Evelyn!! :)
She is beautiful and wow yes looks so much like Eleanore! Thank you for sharing!!

It brought back memories from my c-section and having a newborn. :) Kavi was 6lbs 2 oz when born, not far off!

becca.elpy August 14, 2010 at 10:25 AM  

i know i @'d you but, seeing this pop up in my blog reader, i had to leave a little comment too.

this is just precious! wish you and your (bigger) family all the best. love elie's comment about evie, too. so sweet!

Michelle August 14, 2010 at 10:38 AM  

That was so beautiful, I'm crying! Congrats to all of you. She is beautiful and perfect!

considerthelillies August 14, 2010 at 10:45 AM  

what a blessing she is, just adorable! Christopher looks so sweet with Evelyn in each picture and it reminds me of my husbands happiness with our two girls! You sure do have a special and precious family!

Heidi V August 14, 2010 at 11:31 AM  

Awww how amazing...I hope you do write about it! Congrat...to the family!

Alyssa S. August 14, 2010 at 11:46 AM  

Welcome little Evelyn June :) That is some strawberry hair she has! I love that Ellie has decided to keep her forever...hee hee. Get some rest where you can steal it and have fun with your newest little baby Herman!

jill August 14, 2010 at 12:35 PM  

i had to stop reading this so many times to wipe away the tears. this is SO beautifully written. wow. she is gorgeous and perfect and sweet and tiny. and her name is adorable. and I WANT ANOTHER ONE! haha

Chelsey - The Paper Mama August 14, 2010 at 1:46 PM  

I'm freaking Mike out cause I'm sitting here crying in front of my computer. :D Congratulations! Beautiful.

mrs zombie August 14, 2010 at 1:51 PM  

Congrats mama, she is lush.

Petals August 14, 2010 at 3:09 PM  

You got me all teary. Congratulations. She is beautiful.

Colleen August 14, 2010 at 3:33 PM  

Oh my goodness... I could cry! She's absolutely beautiful and looks exactly like big sister. You guys have some incredible genes. :)
Congratulations!! I'm so excited for you.

Anonymous,  August 14, 2010 at 4:23 PM  

Congratulations she is a BEAUTY!!!!

Oh Mandie August 14, 2010 at 7:22 PM  

I'm convinced that you and Christopher make the most beautiful babies in the entire world. Welcome to the world Evelyn!

Anonymous,  August 14, 2010 at 10:42 PM  

So, I cried reading this and seeing the pictures. Riley was 6lbs. 2oz. when she was born so seeing Evelyn makes all those memories flood back. You both look beautiful, and I love the picture of Christopher and all three babies. Precious! You're a lucky lady, Tia <3 Love & Hugs!

CraftGirlAlli August 15, 2010 at 9:48 PM  

Congrats to you guys!! She is adorable!!

beka August 16, 2010 at 11:44 AM  

Oh my word, she's beautiful. :D
Congrats!!!

Mrs. Mommy August 16, 2010 at 2:31 PM  

Oh, she is so beautiful! And your birth story made me cry! I love that it's been decided that she is a keeper by her siblings. :0)

Can't wait to see more. Congrats to all of you!

iampalegreen August 17, 2010 at 12:21 PM  

Congratulations! What a beautiful little girl! I'm so happy for you and your family. :)

Post a Comment