Home Chapter One Our Vegan Lifestyle Likes Comment-Free

(never a) Wordless Wednesday: PB&J

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

I know, I know, I usually save my best posts for Wednesdays. "Best" meaning, lots and lots and lots of pictures, heavy on the captions and sprinkled with cuteness- gosh I love Wednesday's writings. But I'm going to be honest with you friends, this pregnancy (number three, for anyone who might have lost count, haha) that was once on a smooth sailing freshly paved road, took a hard right down a bumpy dirt path last week, and since then, I literally cannot stand being in my own body. I've got a big detailed-filled post in the works, but until then, bear(bare?) with me?

Rather than going on a photo filled adventure loaded with summertime activities and memory making... today we're eating peanut butter and jelly.

****************************************
(We ran 8,000 errands this morning. We hit up a .50 cent sale at the local kids consignment store, put the title of the motorscooter into Christopher's name, went thrifting at the Airman's Attic, pulled the car over in the middle of downtown to lecture our screaming tantrum throwing daughter on how to safely sit in her car seat and how to not scream so loud that she breaks the glass of the windshield, and by the time that we finally got back home- we treated ourselves to some peanut butter and jelly...)



(Now, maybe pb&j isn't a luxury to you, but- we've only just recently settled upon a sandwich bread worth writing home about. While most of you can go to the store and pick up any ol' loaf whenever you please, we've been gluten free for going on 4 years now, and bread, especially a good bread, is a big deal.)

(That right there, is from a freshly baked, just last night, homemade loaf of heavenly bread.)

(Imagine how good my house smells every 3 or 4 days...)

(Maybe I'll do a big post on how I make it? Recipe and instructions included. The works.)

(Maybe next week?)

(Maybe.)


(We have two different kinds of peanut butters in the house. Skippy Natural, for me, and Jif, for the hubby and kids. The Jif comes free, with our WIC benefits. The skippy we have to buy.)

(Why don't I eat the same kind as everybody else? Well, for the same reason that we buy the crazy expensive jelly that you see there. Because the other kinds have fructose in them, and these kinds don't. Skippy Natural, and the "seriously strawberry", are both molasses and fruit juice free. Tia-safe.)

(So just like the homemade bread that we treat like gold, the fructose free pb&j, are also a big deal.)



(She loves it. Finally, just before turning four years old, shes been introduced to every kids favorite sandwich.)



(For little Charlie, we cut up an open faced sandwich into bite size finger food style pieces. He makes a big mess, but he doesn't quite understand the concept of "sandwich" yet, so this works best.)



("Yum yum yummm", say the kids with the sticky fingers and gooey roofs of their mouths.)

(See... we're totally normal now. We eat pb&j's, just like everybody else.)

(Thats what I'll remind my kids, at least, when they're asking why they can't go to so and so's birthday pizza party at Chuck E Cheese, 5 years from now...)

16 comments:

Rogue Wild July 7, 2010 at 3:43 PM  

I keep watching your baby counter, thinking its almost over ... I really do feel for you going through what you're going through right now. I'm glad that the entire pregnancy hasn't been a rough one. I give you huge kudos doing it 3 times, I barely made it through once. Big hugs Tia!!!

I'd love to know your bread recipe, when you feel up to it! I've been trying to bake from scratch these last couple of weeks, which is a huge deal for me because I really don't like cooking/baking. But the end result is so much better than the boxed ones.

Kitty July 7, 2010 at 3:48 PM  

awwww, i love pb&j!

i'm glad you've found a variety that works for you.

and yes, good bread *is* hard to find, isn't it?

Whitney =0) July 7, 2010 at 3:56 PM  

Please post your bread recipe!!! I was thinking last night when I saw you tweet you were making bread what your recipe is. I'd love to have it. Gluten free breads are HARD to find that are good, stay together, and aren't too dense. =0). I eat Skippy Natural PB too. In fact, we only eat natural PB. I haven't had a pb&j in a long time. Need to have 1 soon!
-Waddlebug

Allison July 7, 2010 at 4:02 PM  

I'm surprised you have to pay out of pocket for the natural peanut butter. I know in my area any 18oz PB is covered by WIC (because I have wic, too). How odd.

I'd love to see your recipe! I can't find a tasty average bread recipe. A Gluten free recipe that is tasty is quite an acheivement.

considerthelillies July 7, 2010 at 4:25 PM  

mmmm, homemade bread is the best! Every summer, though, I try not to bake so the house won't heat up! I only started baking bread about three years ago and it is sooo tasty. Your bread looks especially moist and yummy!

Brigette July 7, 2010 at 4:36 PM  

that bread does look amazing! I can't wait to see the recipe so I can attempt to make it.

beka July 7, 2010 at 4:36 PM  

Mmmmm those pictures of the pb&j are amazing.
(I need a better camera.)

Cutie pies. Just love it when they act not-so-cute. Ahem:)

Colleen July 7, 2010 at 5:06 PM  

PB&J sounds pretty good right about now. I'm soooo not in the mood to make a "real" dinner.

I hope this next few weeks goes super quickly for you. That last bit of pregnancy was always the hardest part for me too.

Chelsey - The Paper Mama July 7, 2010 at 6:02 PM  

Oh my goodness. That photo of Ellie is beautiful! Love her eyes! I'm sorry your pregnancy has taken a lame turn. :(
Mine took a lame turn right from the beginning all the through to the end. It sucks.

Alita July 7, 2010 at 6:31 PM  

Your pb&j looks better than mine. My boys like it with strawberry jelly, too.

I rock the old school pb&j on wheat bread from time to time. People think I'm crazy but I put a thin layer of butter before I lather with the pb&j.

YUM!!!

TexasBobbi July 7, 2010 at 7:37 PM  

I hear you on pb and j being awesome.

soul_searching_mama July 7, 2010 at 8:25 PM  

Yum! They look delicious! I'm glad the kids enjoyed them so much. :) We make our sandwich bread from scratch too, but I'm sure it is a lot easier than making gluten-free bread. I'd be interested to see your recipe to share with a friend that recently learned she was gluten intolerant. I'm praying that the last month of pregnancy goes by quickly and smoothly - I know the past week has been rough!

faith ann raider July 7, 2010 at 11:25 PM  

YAY!! I remember when I was on a wheat-free diet a great PB&J was a BIG DEAL!! Ick, those breads can be so totally and compltely disgusting! (and are SO crazy expensive! I would freeze the bread and just toast a couple slices at a time)
LOVE Skippy Natural - it's my fave. I've never seen Peanut Butter & Co Jelly before. Thier Chocolate spreads are heavenly!

Alyssa S. July 8, 2010 at 5:37 AM  

I just noticed the Skippy you eat on the shelves the other day and wondered if it was any good. Maybe I'll have to try that. Merrick doesn't want anything to do with PB & J. He's not into sandwiches at all really. He'll ask for one but what he really means is that he wants a piece of bread! Amelia LOVES PB sandwiches. 99% of the time she holds the jelly.

BIG HUGS Momma. The end is near and while I know it really bites right now, you'll scale this hurdle and pretty soon be hugging on your newest little Herman :)

Devon July 8, 2010 at 6:41 AM  

i love PB & J! i get the Skippy Natural (Chunky)! every so often i can find a coupon for it... and that's when i buy it.

you always take such great pictures! i love these ones!

Kunklebaby July 8, 2010 at 3:29 PM  

Awww poor thing! Your SO SO close to the end-just think of that sweet little baby you'll be holding soon. That's what I try to do when it gets *really* uncomfortable. I feel for you, I know that feeling far too well!

You've made it this far with your stength-not as easy task growing a person!!

Post a Comment