Home Chapter One Our Vegan Lifestyle Likes Comment-Free

Bumbleberry Pie On The 4th Of July

Monday, July 5, 2010

I want to write out a big blog post about the amazing day that I had with my family yesterday. I want to tell you all in extreme detail, about how my daughter and I made our very first lattice topped bumbleberry pie with each other, and then about how I sheltered the babies from all of the 4 fireworks that we lit off out in the driveway. I want to gab on and on about the belly painting (you did see yesterdays post, didn't you? Its a good one), and the temporary tattoos, and the fun American flags that Charlie thought were brooms, but-

I'm sort of on bed rest. I'm very much on steroids. And my brain isn't working the way that I want it to. Earlier, I literally didn't know what numbers were.

I was hoping to sit down and edit these pictures to be the most beautiful mother/daughter pie baking pictures ever, but after a 30 minute brain stutter, without so much as one photo even being re sized, I decided that it just didn't matter, and I'd just post them the way they are (nobody cares other than me, anyways).



At first, she didn't want her picture taken. Party pooper Eleanore.



But then I came up and tickled her until she cracked.



She stood on a chair and held the wooden spoon proudly. Making pie crust isn't easy, you know?



She helped me roll out the dough. First the bottom layer, and then the lattice top.



Look! The dough actually looks the way you'd expect a pie crust dough to look like!



Hi.



"Its kind of like, play dough!", Eleanore says.
"Yes, only, its... pie dough", Daddy corrects her.



And then I poured in the berries/sugar/flour, and put together a pie!

Maybe you need a close up of the lattice top...
(I can't believe it didn't fall apart)



Yeah, check that out. A gluten free, lattice topped, bumbleberry pie.

And hour and a half later, it looked something like this...



!!!



It almost doesn't look real, right?



The most beautiful pie, ever.

Christopher made the comment, while enjoying his second piece, right around midnight, that-

"I just completely forgot that I was gluten free. I felt like I was a 13 year old boy, eating a pie at my Nana's house".

And I take that to be one of the greatest compliments, ever.

Hold on, just one more close up...



I told Eleanore that come August, during the fair, if there is a pie competition, that we'll enter it.

She of course thought that I meant we were going to the fair right then and there, and thats all I heard about all night (ohmygosh, enough already child!), but- maybe when the fair rolls around we really might enter it?

Ok not likely. But, its a cute idea, right? Maybe I can come up with some kind of fake fair, with a fake blue ribbon. Anything for another excuse to steal my daughter away from everything else for a morning, just so her and I can hide away in the kitchen with the rolling pin.

This will be our new tradition.

Bumbleberry Pie on the 4th of July.

26 comments:

alliehallmarr July 5, 2010 at 1:54 PM  

That pie looks delicious and those pictures are adorable! I really love the photo of you two rolling the dough out together. Props to E, pie dough is one of the most frustrating things to work with. Hope you start feeling better :( I was on steroids for the last part of my pregnancy too, and it is NO FUN!

xoxo

Anonymous,  July 5, 2010 at 2:35 PM  

I'm glad you had a great time! :D

Mitzie July 5, 2010 at 2:44 PM  

OMG it looks AMAZING! :) I hope my peach pie comes out even slightly as good looking as your pie did. I'm not going to attempt lattice on my first try. haha. What exactly is a brumbleberry anyways?

Johanna July 5, 2010 at 2:51 PM  

Tia, big big congrats on that pie of yours! And I'm surprised too that it really looks like a regular pie, even though it's gluten free.
You and Ellie look so cute in your kitchen making the pie.
Looks like a great tradition~! xoxo

Kitty July 5, 2010 at 2:56 PM  

my god, that pie looks delicious!

yaaay for you and elie makin' pie!

also, you should enter a pie competition. they're a lot of fun.

Jess Craig July 5, 2010 at 3:20 PM  

impressive dude! sorry i haven't emailed you back... i'm not home and i've been busy travelin' around and junk. i'm glad you had a great day with your daughter though.

soul_searching_mama July 5, 2010 at 3:21 PM  

You're pie turned out AWESOME!!!!! :)

Brigette July 5, 2010 at 3:22 PM  

that pie looks so freakin good all I can think about eating is that pie!

Anonymous,  July 5, 2010 at 3:27 PM  

I have no words other than: Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

Alyssa S. July 5, 2010 at 3:31 PM  

Beyootiful pie! Edited pics or not, that is a great "photo story" of you two making that yummilicious pie. I haven't made a lattice crust like that since I was 12. And that was...um...a year or two (yeah right) ago.

I totally missed the belly paint, so now I need to go read that one!

Lana July 5, 2010 at 3:35 PM  

That pie looks so good. What a wonderful bonding moment for you two. And btw I loved the belly pics!

Chelsey - The Paper Mama July 5, 2010 at 4:54 PM  

It does look very delicious. I very much love fruit pies. The photos didn't need an edit. Very beautiful.

Bleh to the sorta bed rest. I was on sorta bed rest the WHOLE pregnancy. Meh. No steroids though.

TexasBobbi July 5, 2010 at 8:36 PM  

I love it and you should totally enter a pie contest.

Mrs. Mommy July 5, 2010 at 11:07 PM  

Wow, that looks delicious! I can never get the tops to come out right, so I am very impressed! :0)

I hope that you wind up feeling better. It's all worth it in the end. :0)

krissilugbill July 5, 2010 at 11:24 PM  

wow, that pie looks AMAZING!! how fun cooking with your daughter, such a fun memory for the two of you, and you will be so happy you captured it with photos!

Oh Mandie July 5, 2010 at 11:32 PM  

Mmmm! Nom Nom Nom ... now I'm seriously hungry for pie. Not any pie though, that goregous scrumptious looking pie!!

mil cositas bellas July 6, 2010 at 12:49 AM  

wow! that looks so delicious, yum. trade recipes? wait what are bumbleberries?

Mommy Elephant Sarah July 6, 2010 at 1:21 AM  

I think that is a great new tradition. The lattice work looks beautiful!! I think I can smell it from here. :)

Colleen July 6, 2010 at 7:20 AM  

That pie looks amazing and you both looked like you were having so much fun.
I hope you feel better. Rest well.

Chelsea July 6, 2010 at 12:52 PM  

you're such a cute mommy! I really love your tattoos.

and awesome pics!

considerthelillies July 6, 2010 at 3:54 PM  

now I want a brambleberry pie!!Like right now!!! It looks delicious and like it turned out to be a great girls only time! Please take of yourself and try to rest!

Memoirs of a Mental Mind July 7, 2010 at 12:51 PM  

Omgosh! Looks like the best tasting pie ever! Great pics!! I'm gonna have to try one of ur recipes one of these days! :)

Christina July 7, 2010 at 9:28 PM  

The pie looks delicious and gorgeous!!!!!!! gimmegimme

beka July 7, 2010 at 10:07 PM  

Ah, that is one gorgeous pie. My gosh.
And you guys are just too cute. :)

.jimaie.marie. July 13, 2010 at 8:57 PM  

holy moly, that is one beautiful and delicious looking pie!!! I am seriously craving a pie of pie with ice cream now, like hardcore.
SO THANKS FOR THAT. lol!!

Post a Comment