Home Chapter One Our Vegan Lifestyle Likes Comment-Free

Flashback Friday: Father's Day Edition

Friday, June 18, 2010


So, I don't know if y'all have noticed or not, but I am a huuuuge Daddy's girl. For as long as I can remember, my Dad has been my knight in shining armor. While growing up, nothing could ever harm me, as long as he was there.

I'll never forget when the 1989 earthquake hit San Fransisco, we lived in Hayward at the time. With one big rushing movement, my Dad came from out of nowhere and swooped me up from the chair where I sat and somehow gently tossed me into the rolling doorway, while at the same time, he turned around to catch the TV just before it hit the ground. ...and I was amazed. For being so little when it happened, I remember it as if I just got finished watching it in a video.

The memories that I have of my Dad are nothing less than heroic. Hes a far from perfect man, but somehow he managed to keep his imperfections out of my line of sight, another way of protecting me I'm sure (which I'm grateful for), and all of my memories of him are imprinted with his heart of hard earned gold.

I could tell you stories forever, if given the chance. I could go on and on about all of our adventures, all of our inside jokes, all of the everythings that I hold so near and dear to my heart. But- the more I re visit my memories, the more emotional I get. And unless I want to flood you all out with a sea of I-love-My-Daddy tears, I had maybe better just leave it at whats already been said.




I came across these pictures last week, when I was looking for something to scan. The backs of the photographs are unmarked- I have no idea as to where they were taken. My guess is, that I was right around 3 or 4 years old, though.

The pictures aren't very clear, they were taken from far away. But I love them.

I wish I could remember being there with him, as he tossed me through the air. I wish I could hear the 80's music and smell the sunblock. Usually, pictures like this trigger something for me, and bring it all back, but this time I just can't seem to find it. I have a sort of idea, a scene created by my imagination, of what it must have been like- and it makes me smile. I guess thats what photographs are for though, right? To help fill in the blanks?

This year, for Father's Day, I baked my Dad some chocolate espresso biscotti, boxed it up all pretty, wrote him a letter, and sent it off to Washington State, where hopefully he'll be able to enjoy it with a nice hot mug of coffee. I hear the weather there is still pretty dreary.

Actually, I had to do all of that twice. See, the first batch I made, sat packaged up in the 150 degree car for two days, because my husband was too lazy to take it to the post office for me like he promised- so I had to completely re bake it, re box it, and send it at the very last minute. But all is said and done now, and the chances of the biscotti still getting to my Dad on time are good. So, nobody got hurt, and hubby is forgiven (although if his brain continues to fail, I might have to sell that new motorcycle of his).

What are you doing for your Dad, this Father's Day?


***************************************
Grab a photo and flashback with us! Upload or scan any ol' picture from your collection, or maybe just pull one from your Flickr acct if you're feeling lazy (we've all been there, haha). Write a little bit to go with your image, grab out button and toss it into the mix, and then come back here and add your link to the list below. Easy as pie. I do my best to go and read each and every flashback, like a good host- as do a lot of the participants. We're quite the friendly group, so please feel welcomed rather than shy.


20 comments:

Alita June 18, 2010 at 7:46 AM  

Niiiiiiiiiiiice flashback.

I'm a daddy's girl, too. I'm not sure what we are doing for father's day. Hopefully it will be just chill.

Fallon June 18, 2010 at 8:40 AM  

Daddy's are the best =) I'm taking my dad to see Devo!

Love the photos you shared, you should have them blown up and framed =)

Chelsey - The Paper Mama June 18, 2010 at 8:50 AM  

This is so sweet. I love the earthquake story.

Just think of the memories you're creating for your babes. :)

Happy Father's Day to Christopher.

SillyLittleLady June 18, 2010 at 8:55 AM  

Tia, as far as SO's brain's failing goes: my boyfriend pretty much uses me as his brain, he hardly remembers anything! I should be getting paid as his assistant haha!

I got my Dad some beer soap from DennisAnderson and I'll get him a 6-pack to go with it :)

Unknown June 18, 2010 at 9:10 AM  

Love the dad photos! I'm such a daddy's girl. My flashback wasn't that old, but I still love the picture and the memories that go along with it! :)

Jess

Devon June 18, 2010 at 9:24 AM  

LOVE this post! reminds me of my dad!!! :)

Nancy (Jesse and Sophia's grandma) June 18, 2010 at 10:02 AM  

I love this flashback and that you love your dad so much. I do too!
My dad was great and I married a man just like him, so my daughters have a great dad too.

Loddelina June 18, 2010 at 10:02 AM  

great post!

I will be 1000 km away from my dad this year, unfortunatelly, but we will skype!

Alyssa S. June 18, 2010 at 10:07 AM  

I'm so glad your Dad was your hero :) I was a Daddy's girl too, though many would argue I picked up some of his more...aggravating personality traits! Those are great photos. You are so sweet to have made such a special present for him.

Melissa June 18, 2010 at 10:15 AM  

I love how vintage they are. Reminds me of back in the day when my dad & I were close. I miss those days.

considerthelillies June 18, 2010 at 11:44 AM  

such sweet pictures! I especially like the top one where he is cradling you! It is the perfect protective daddy pose!

Anika June 18, 2010 at 12:40 PM  

Tia- I have to thank you again for giving me incentive to look through my old photos. Not having my dad with me anymore has been hard but doing this flashback made me feel really positive and helped me laugh and see so many great things instead of concentrating on the missing aspect.
Mental hug to you!
Thanks.

beka June 18, 2010 at 12:43 PM  

Aw, that's awesome what you did for father's day! So sweet.
Hmmm. I'd definitely say I'm a daddy's girl. Heh heh. He's so teady and even-keel. :)

Melanie @ Whimsical Creations June 18, 2010 at 1:07 PM  

What a sweet post!! Your daddy sounds like an amazing man. =D

Lacey June 18, 2010 at 2:00 PM  

Yummy, yummy, yummy, he's got biscotti in his tummy!

You can tell I'm a mom to a toddler when the first thing that comes to my mind is the song I sing in an attempt to get him to eat something, anything!

Great post. I love retro photos.

Rogue Wild June 18, 2010 at 3:53 PM  

what wonderful memories!!

TexasBobbi June 18, 2010 at 8:44 PM  

I am a Daddy's girl myself much to my mother's dismay.

Jenny F June 19, 2010 at 9:17 PM  

Hey Tia, i found your blog thru my mom, consider the lillies, and my sister, consider the coffee. they always talk about you and your blog and i am just now getting on the ball to start keepin up with them. I love this father's day post. so sweet. i think of my dad the same way! i wrote a little note for him too, yet it wasn't quite as eloquent as yours!
Jenny

Amy June 20, 2010 at 4:59 PM  

When I start to think of my dad, I too am at risk of drowning in a sea of I-love-my-daddy tears. I have nothing but good memories. I am SO BLESSED to have been given the dad I was. SO BLESSED. Sadly, he's been gone about a year and a half now. Last Father's Day was my first without him. It still doesn't seem possible that my dad -my strong, loving, protecting, ever encouraging dad- is gone.

Post a Comment