Home Chapter One Our Vegan Lifestyle Likes Comment-Free

A Black And White Back Yard Kind Of Day

Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Some days are more black and white than others. Today is not one of those days.

The sun is shining as hard as it knows how to, baking everything it can reach its rough edged rays around. The kids had already been both in and out of the kiddie pool by 10:45 this morning, having accidentally missed our morning walk (um, "accidentally"), we had to kill the morning time hours somehow. With temperatures getting close to 100 by this afternoon, I knew we'd have to be hiding in the shelter of the house before lunch time.

Days like this make me long for days like last week. The chance-of-storms-everyday, kind of days. The no-need-for-sunglasses-because-you've-got-constant-cloud-cover, kind of days. Where are those days hiding, I wonder? I wish they'd hurry back.

Actually, I'll just show you?
Days like this...



Days where Daddy teachers Charlie how to work with his tool bench.



They pound plastic nails, they twist colorful screw drivers, and they spend much needed one on one man-time together. What could be better?



And while Big Sister tried to get in on the action, she found herself playing with a single action figure in the grass all alone. Sometimes boys need to be boys, Miss Eleanore- be patient, your turn will be here before you know it.



See. The boys couldn't hammer and build forever, now could they? According to Daddy, hes been working on doing hand stands at the gym. Lets see who can hold theirs the longest.

Now that you're all good and light headed...



(I love this man).



Charlie recently got a new slide, and he loves it. It took him all of 5 minutes to get the hang of it, loving is so much that he woke up the next morning calling out "slide slide slide" from his crib.

"Its 6:30 in the morning Charlie, not right now", I replied to him as I sleepily pulled him out from underneath his yellow train blanket.



If he could, he'd go up and down this thing all day and all night. Even though the ride is short and smooth, it never seems to get old.

Unfortunately, the slide is too small for Sister, so you can imagine the jealousy that comes along with that. I do remind her of her play house though, that she got when she was Charlie's age. The same playhouse that is the center of their universe when they're let loose in the back yard. The playhouse that her and her imaginary friends call home.



While Charlie is sliding and Elie kicks around a ball, the winds start to pick up. The air drops at least ten degrees in temperature, maybe more, and a glance at the sky casts a dark shadow over all of us.



Time to put away those toys babies, and head inside before the rain drops start their drop attack. March, march, march...

And lets hope for another black and white day soon.

16 comments:

considerthelillies June 1, 2010 at 3:55 PM  

Tia, I love how you write! And your pictures are the perfect illustrations! I feel pulled into your world when I read your posts! It is so nice to see a happy family!

Chana@ Mamma Town June 1, 2010 at 4:24 PM  

That slide looks AWESOME!!! What a fun little day for you and the fam;) Black and white makes everything seem so much more dramatic doesn't it? The rolling clouds reminded me of the begining of The Wizard of Oz!!

April June 1, 2010 at 4:47 PM  

You should seriously start advertising yourself for paid photography jobs. Your candid photos are simply AMAZING!

Unknown June 1, 2010 at 5:10 PM  

Oh man, you captured the most WONDERFUL moments there, Tia!

And YAY for seeing Charlie on that slide! So sad it was just sitting in my backyard for 8 months... don't know why I didn't think to pass it on sooner!

CourtneyKeb June 1, 2010 at 5:22 PM  

I wish you lived near me.

I do mean that in the least creepy way possible.
I love this post, and I love the pictures.
Black and White days are so lovely.

Brandi June 1, 2010 at 5:42 PM  

beautiful pics of big sister, little brother, and their daddy!

They call me mommy... June 1, 2010 at 8:55 PM  

Ahhh...black and white days (= wonderful pictures!

Unknown June 1, 2010 at 9:09 PM  

I've missed so many posts of yours, and yet when I come back, I still feel the same way when I read them. Loved this post.

Johanna June 1, 2010 at 9:23 PM  

I love how you write Tia...it's just so beautiful.
Your babies are so very sweet...I love having a glimpse into your life.
xox

ThinkFeminist June 1, 2010 at 10:17 PM  

Love this pictures....I love an involved father!!!

www.musingsofanarmywife.blogspot.com

soul_searching_mama June 2, 2010 at 1:43 AM  

Love the pictures and love your beautiful writing. :) We had the same slide when Johnny was younger and was in love with it too!

Mommy Elephant Sarah June 2, 2010 at 3:31 AM  

You make every day sound magical!! Love the slide! I should see if I can find one used! Does Charlie climb up himself or need help?
So sweet!

Colleen June 2, 2010 at 7:03 AM  

Yech...100 degrees!!

Love the pictures. I'm glad you had a chance to get out and enjoy the "cooler" weather before it got too hot.

I love the two shots of your husband, but my favorite is the one with your son in the background. It kind of tells a story... man that you love/father of your children. :)

Oh Mandie June 2, 2010 at 8:52 AM  

Looks like your black and white day was a perfect one!

beka June 2, 2010 at 1:46 PM  

Ah. That was nice and relaxing. And Cute. And .....today is the coolest day we've had in a while, and rain is forecast. Wanna come up to WI? It's a black and white day;)
Nice overcast, breezy...
Those somersaults looked like fun! And Charlie is definitely in love with his slide. :D
Oh, happy day. Hope a cool day comes to you soon.
(And I'm with CourtneyKeb. Don't some of us just wish that from the first visit to a blog? I dunno.)

TexasBobbi June 3, 2010 at 11:21 AM  

That seems like the perfect kinda of day.

Post a Comment