Home Chapter One Our Vegan Lifestyle Likes Comment-Free

A Mothers Day Flashback

Thursday, May 6, 2010

Thank you all for your wonderful birthday wishes that poured in over the last couple of days! My 26th ended up being my best yet (pictures and story telling soon to come), I don't see how it could possibly be topped.

Now that my birthday is over with, its time to focus on Mothers Day. Mothers Day is just as important as a birthday, if not more important, to me. My memory is foggy, when it comes to celebrating Mothers Day while I was growing up. I remember one year, very specifically, my dad letting me help him make pancakes (it was sunny that day), to bring to my Mom as part of her breakfast in bed. He told me not to touch the griddle, and probably 20 seconds later, I did the opposite and sizzled my finger tips by resting them on the edge of the hot surface. I was just so excited to be helping, that I completely overlooked his instructions, so focused on waiting to see the bubbles form and pop in the middle of the batter. I ran screaming to the sink, the cold running water being my only form of comfort. I'm sure my Mother was thrilled by the whole incident- the screaming and crying and probably cold pancakes. But the more I think about it, thats kind of what Mothers Day is about. Thats the kind of stuff we deal with on a daily basis. And while it makes us roll our eyes and stomp our feet at the time, they're all truly memorable moments that make our lives complete.

This year for Mothers Day I framed a picture of me (I always feel silly framing a picture of me for somebody else) for her to hang on her fridge, and sent along some pictures of the babies. If I lived closer, I'd probably take her out to brunch, or maybe go to her house and cook a dinner for her. But I don't, so hopefully a padded envelope full of pictures will be enough to help her feel loved.



My relationship with my Mother isn't the best. This is one of the few topics that I struggle with and shy from sharing with my friends and family. One thing is for very certain though- I love my Mother. Without her, there would be no me. I owe her everything. And now that I'm a Mother myself, I see how much sacrifice comes along with the job, and I view things differently. Lord knows, I was not an easy child to raise, especially through the teenage years. Looking back at some of the things that I put my poor Mother though, I get scared thinking about the future with my own daughter. I've learned from her parenting mistakes, I've learned from her parenting accomplishments, I've learned from watching and doing and being. So while I might keep my distance, and I might keep my guard up- I love my Mother.

This is one of the very few pictures that I have of me and her. I didn't grow up around cameras, and there weren't very many picture opportunities for the two of us as the years went on. When I got this picture in the mail a few months ago, I couldn't stop looking at it. Thats the Mother that I remember. Thats the Mother that I hold so closely to my heart. Now, and always.

I love this picture. I more than love it, I adore it.


*********************************
We haven't done themes here at Flashback Friday for awhile now, but if you'd like to post a Mother related picture, of any mother (you, yours, your neighbor's), I think it would be nice considering the holiday is coming up this Sunday (totally optional though). And really, can Mothers really ever have enough recognition? We're perfectly fine without it, but it never hurts to receive. To play along, post a picture from your past, and type a little bit surrounding it. It doesn't have to be much, and it doesn't have to be ancient. A picture from last year, a picture from 20 years ago- they're all welcome here. We welcome new participants, its a fun little group we've got going here. Make sure to put our button (wayyy down there at the bottom of the page) in your post, or link us up the old fashioned text way, and don't forget to add your post link to the list below. Or if you're not a blogger, feel free to flashback on your Facebook, Twitter, wherever works for you. Can't wait to sit down and take a trip to the past with you!


26 comments:

beka May 6, 2010 at 8:12 PM  

Aw, what a sweet picture. Totally can relate a little on the mother/relationship subject, though. I've heard of some pretty pristine/close friendships!
Anyhow. Have a lovely night:)

Maggie May 6, 2010 at 8:45 PM  

That is a great picture! I posted a mom and me photo on my blog too!

April May 6, 2010 at 10:59 PM  

Awwww, I miss my Mommy a BUNCH, Florida is much too far away!

Melissa May 6, 2010 at 11:53 PM  

What a wonderful picture. I too wish my mother lived closer so I could spend Mother's Day with her as well. But you know they love the thoughtful gifts we send.

Chana@ Mamma Town May 7, 2010 at 12:18 AM  

Seriously adorable Tia! Your tiny little head is just precious! Very sweet of you for sending her a pic-I'm sure she really appreciated that:) xoxoxoxo

Mommy Elephant Sarah May 7, 2010 at 12:39 AM  

That is one thing for sure...once you become a mother, you respect your mother mom. My mom went through a lot with me too, and I adore her more and more each day.

Oh Mandie May 7, 2010 at 7:48 AM  

What a sweet picture! I can totally relate on being a teenager that put my mom through some not so great times.

Your mom is lucky to have a daughter like you :)

They call me mommy... May 7, 2010 at 8:16 AM  

What a great post! cute pic too, I didn't have a goodpic of my mother and I so I went a different way with my post... (= Hope you have a great mothers day Tia!

CourtneyKeb May 7, 2010 at 8:45 AM  

That's the best thing about Moms.
Even if you rub each other wrong, and may not get along you ALWAYS have a place in your heart for you momma!

I completely relate and 100% understand!!

Devon May 7, 2010 at 9:13 AM  

wow... you look like charlie! (or he looks like you, i guess!) i don't have a lot of pictures with my mom either - she was always the one behind the camera!

hop back over to my blog! since you asked what we painted, i posted a few pics of some painted cheeks! we pretty much paint anything someone asks for--unless its absolutely ridiculous.

Melanie @ Whimsical Creations May 7, 2010 at 9:52 AM  

What a sweet photo. I bet your mother will treasure that envelope full of photos.

Happy Mother's Day to you! and happy belated birthday!

Malika May 7, 2010 at 10:28 AM  

I just found your blog and love it already. I totally get where you're coming from on your relationship with your mom. Mine is also...hmmm...strained. But that doesn't stop us from loving them.

Happy Mother's Day to you! And congratulations on your next kiddo.

Rogue Wild May 7, 2010 at 11:43 AM  

I can sympathize on the mother/daughter difficulties ... my mom and I haven't spoken for 6 years ... I agree with your comment that we learn from their parenting mistakes, I try really hard to not repeat them with my son. Thank you for sharing the sweet picture!!

Anonymous,  May 7, 2010 at 11:47 AM  

Great photo!
I did a mom post over on my blog today too. Happy Mother's day!

Chelsey - The Paper Mama May 7, 2010 at 12:40 PM  

What a great photo. I'm glad you take so many photos of you and your family. Your kids will absolutely love it when they're older. They'll have soooo many cute ones to choose from!
-chelsey

Christina May 7, 2010 at 2:14 PM  

Look at you, baby Tia hehehe. Very cute! A great picture. It's true once becoming a mother, realizing how much hard work it is, makes you look at your own mom differently!

Happy Mother's day to you Tia!! You are an awesome mom!

Caroline @ The Feminist Housewife May 7, 2010 at 5:43 PM  

Such a sweet photo! Mothers & daughters are strange creatures...but so wonderful too. ; ) Happy mother's day!

considerthelillies May 7, 2010 at 6:20 PM  

Happy Mother's day Tia! I love that picture! You and your mom look so sweet in it!

CraftGirlAlli May 7, 2010 at 8:00 PM  

Thanks for sharing! Hope you have a wonderful Mother's day!

Anika May 7, 2010 at 10:18 PM  

Great entry! It inspired me to leave my first ever Flashback Friday. Happy Mother's Day!

soul_searching_mama May 7, 2010 at 11:36 PM  

I love the photo of you and your mom, Tia! :) I used to do the same thing with my finger and Johnny when he was younger. Have a wonderful Mother's Day!

Shalyn May 8, 2010 at 4:10 PM  

So sweet. Have a great Mother's day!

lucille May 9, 2010 at 1:06 PM  

That's such a sweet photo. I hope you have a wonderful Mother's Day! xo.

Johanna May 9, 2010 at 5:47 PM  

happy mother's day tia! xox

Lynn May 12, 2010 at 8:49 PM  

Super cute! I love old pictures of all kinds.

Post a Comment