Home Chapter One Our Vegan Lifestyle Likes Comment-Free

A Birthday To Remember

Monday, May 10, 2010

My birthday was last Wednesday. Christopher had taken the day before, the day of, and the day after off- thanks to his acing one of his final work tests (I don't mean to brag, but he did get 100%, which is a big big deal, and theres going to be some kind of fancy ceremony held in his honor where everyone oooh's and aaaah's at how smart he is, and he gets awarded some special coin from some high ranking guy- none of it makes a whole lotta sense to dear wifey here, but I know that for him- it means a lot, and I'm oh so proud of him, he deserves all the credit he gets).

Even when I "sleep in", I wake up at 8:00. I don't know if its my bodys natural alarm clock (I have a pretty strict daily routine), the fact that sounds (baby cries and pots and pans clanging) echo up the stairs straight into my bedroom, or maybe its the brightness that shines through the windows- I just can't sleep in. Somehow on my birthday though, I was getting a slight break, actually off in dream land, when the door flung open, and there was Eleanore screaming "Happy Birthday Mom!", shoving a freshly colored birthday card in my face (yellow construction paper, lots of crayon scribbles). Not far behind her, was Christopher holding a hot plate loaded with potatoes (omg you've got to try his potatoes), pancakes, and scrambled eggs. And then came little Charlie, toddle toddle toddle, shouting something or other that I think was his version of "happy birthday". It was the perfect way to wake up.

As I rubbed my eyes away from sleep and stumbled my way down the stairs, I decided to document the day in pictures. It wasn't until I uploaded all of them this morning, that I realized just how many I had taken. Hmmm, what would be the least page crashing way to do this? Mosaic? ...that seems to be my new comfortable.


Eleanore and Christopher spent the morning making a mess of the kitchen, baking me a birthday cake. I told them that I didn't want gifts, I didn't want any kind of party, all I wanted was for them to bake me a chocolate raspberry cake.

And so they did.

And would you believe that Christopher cleaned up the mess too? Considering all of the other amazing things he does, its probably not such a stretch of the mind, is it.

After the cake had finished baking, and was sitting on the kitchen counter under thin dish towels cooling (safe from the awful flies trying to takeover our house), we went to the front gate to pick up a flower delivery from a wonderful new friend that I have yet to meet in person.


So pretty, aren't they? Marlene, thank you. I had my nose buried in them the entire way home, my smile nearly taking over my entire face. Oh, and the best part, is that they're plantable!! I don't have a single house plant, so this will be my first attempt at keeping an indoor plant alive. Wish me luck?

We dropped the basket of beautiful flowers off at home, so they wouldn't wilt in the heat of the car while we went shopping, and then headed off to the BX to pick up some bird seed for my new bird feeder.

Oh, did I forget to mention that part?

Even though I had made it very clear that I didn't need any gifts, Christopher had snuck away at some point during his work week, and gathered a few things that he knew I had been wanting. A beautiful bird feeder (meant to be a bird bath, but much too small to hold any amount of water and not have it evaporate within minutes), and a gorgeous dome bird house.

His awesomeness is kind of taking over the post, isn't it?

Upon our return, a car was parked in front of our house. An unfamiliar car. As we pull into the driveway, we see a woman standing in front of our door, talking on her cell phone, holding a brightly colored bouquet of flowers.


Who could have possibly sent these to me? I had been expecting the ones from Marlene, since she had told me the day before to expect the delivery, but these were a complete surprise.

I thanked the woman who had delivered them (and did I mention that both flower deliverers had been pregnant also?), and then discovered they were from my good friend Jessica. Thank you Miss Jessica Jane! They're gorgeous, and still brightening my dining room table.


When we got home, we had lunch, and then put the babies down for quiet time. A nap for Charlie, a lay down for Eleanore. Christopher and I then lathered ourselves with sunscreen, filled up some water bottles, and headed outside to hang up and secure my new bird pretties.

We nestled the dome house inside our front yard tree, knowing it would be safe from the wind there, and set the bird feeder down below near the stump.


I like to be ridiculous, so I snapped a quick shot of my excitement, and then sat back, staring at the tree, waiting for a bird family to move in immediately, and silently begged my feather friends to come eat the food I had put out for them.

...wait. ...wait.

...wait.

Ok so maybe it was going to take longer than 5 minutes. Should I put up a "for rent" sign?

...wait.

Ok ok, lets go inside and give them some space.

By the end of the night, the birds were hopping and dancing all around the feeder, taking turns at the seed. The big ones bickering with the smaller ones for the larger pieces of mango. Its been a few days, and the bird feeder is actually completely empty. Almost every single time I look out the window, there are little friends chirping about, helping themselves to our offering. It makes me happy. Nobody has moved into the house yet, but I think that one is going to take some time.


After Eleanore woke up, her and Daddy frosted the 3 layer chocolate cake, with a homemade raspberry cream icing. I wish I had pictures of Eleanore helping, but she made it quite clear that she wasn't going to have her picture taken. All attempts ended up as blurs of blond.

Look at him concentrating on that thing. He wasn't kidding around. He did used to work at Dairy Queen, you know, and reminds me constantly about the ice cream cakes that he had beautified.


It tasted even better than it looks. In between the three layers of chocolate, were thin layers of raspberry preserves. It was exactly everything that I had hoped for. More, actually. Moist, and fluffy. Dangit that was one good cake.

Honey you are the best.


And I got some gifts in the mail, too! Nothing from my Mother, which did have me quite disappointed, but I've got some amazing friends who made up for it. Look, I got the cat mug!! I have my Aunt Laurie to thank for that. And eeeeeee, the heart measuring spoons! They weren't the exact ones on my wish list, but still every bit as magical, and completely unexpected!! Thank you Fran! AND, AND, a heart Oregon sticker for The Bob.

My best friend Kalii sent the sticker, along with a really awesome journal, from Portland. Thank you Kalii!! I love them, just as you knew I would.

I might be kind of weird, but I really like washing the car with my family. Something about owning our own van, without having any co signers, and taking care of it together- it warms my heart. Kind of silly, but, it was really nice to spend my birthday afternoon out in the sun with the hose on, washing all of the dirt down into the gutter and watching it float away down the street. And then when The Bob was all clean and Christopher had taken the babies inside for dinner, I stayed behind to put the new sticker on. It felt right.


After dinner, but before cake, we all settled down on the couch to relax as a family. Too bad Miss Eleanore hadn't slept a wink during her quiet time, and wound up going to bed early and missing out on both chocolate and tickles.

While I was sad that my little girl wasn't being the angel that I had hoped for, little Charlie made up for it x2.

Snuggles with Daddy.
Snuggles with Mommy.


Lots and lots of love, I felt on my birthday. I can very honestly say that it was the best birthday in the history of me. Flower deliveries (something I always wished for as a little girl), packages in the mail, laughter and smiles from my babies. Kisses from my husband.

And of course, we ate cake.

I had a picture somewhere, of my half eaten cake resting on my belly, but it seems to have gotten lost in the sea of outtakes.

The cake didn't last very long, either. Maybe 3 days? I'm not going to lie, I ate probably half of it myself. While I'm sure the bean appreciated it, we'll see how my weigh in at my 26 week prenatal appointment goes today (ugh).

And maybe, just maybe, this being our 5th or 6th ultrasound, maybe we'll find out the gender of our Herman in training. *crosses fingers*. I'd really like to do some garage sale shopping for the little kicker.

Thank you everyone who wished me a happy birthday. A happy birthday it in fact was.

24 comments:

Kitty May 10, 2010 at 12:18 PM  

awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww, yaaaaay! i'm glad you had such a happy birthday! :D
*hugs*


and may i just say, charlie looks JUST like his daddy.

(you are all so freeking cute i'm dying of 'awwwwwwwww' over here. :D )

Anonymous,  May 10, 2010 at 12:28 PM  

Awesome! All I asked for on my birthday was for Matt to make me cupcakes! Baked goods are the way to my heart, ya know. Hence, I love the heart measuring spoons -- in fact, I own the exact set. :p
Glad you had a great day! xx

This Little Bird May 10, 2010 at 12:32 PM  

WOW... you are one lucky mama. Looks like you had a wonderful (well deserved) Birthday. Yippie.

Fallon May 10, 2010 at 12:40 PM  

What a lovely birthday! Love the pics :)

Anonymous,  May 10, 2010 at 12:42 PM  

That sounded like the perfect day! I love spending time outside with my family and I know what you mean about washing the car. It's like LOOK AT WHAT I BOUGHT ALL ON MY OWN!

Alita May 10, 2010 at 12:49 PM  

YAY!!!!! Sounds like the perfect birthday to me.

love, Love, LOVED the pictures.

Kelly Irene May 10, 2010 at 1:09 PM  

I am loving the picture collages (as always). I'm glad you had such a great birthday!

Oh Mandie May 10, 2010 at 1:12 PM  

yay! Looks like you had the best birthday ever!! Glad it was such an incredible day for you, you deserve it!

Chana@ Mamma Town May 10, 2010 at 1:15 PM  

A perfect day indeed! So happy for you:)

soul_searching_mama May 10, 2010 at 2:04 PM  

That looks like an AWESOME birthday! :) I'm so happy you had a great day! And that cake looks really really delicious.

Alyssa S. May 10, 2010 at 2:35 PM  

Seriously, could a day get any better? I think not! Happy, happy birthday (belated). You should find a way to wrap your day up in a pretty box and keep it forever :)

Devon May 10, 2010 at 3:17 PM  

Looks like it was WONDERFUL!!! :)

beka May 10, 2010 at 4:04 PM  

Gorgeous flowers!
Verrrry cute bird feeder:)
Adorable pics of you, Chris, and Charlie.
Your excitement (and cute cat mug) is sweet:)

They call me mommy... May 10, 2010 at 4:53 PM  

Looks like a PERFECT birthday! I LOVE the pics of you and daddy with with little Charlie *and of the cake that made me drool slightly just reading about it* Glad you had such a great birthday, it really is the simple things in life (like flowers and bird feeders) that make it so beautiful! Hope you Mother's Day was just as great!

Lisa@goodknits May 10, 2010 at 6:25 PM  

this post is just full of cute, amazing, awesome stuff! Sounds like a great day!!

Rogue Wild May 10, 2010 at 6:36 PM  

you've got such an awesome family =o) I'm so glad you had such a great day!!

Colleen May 10, 2010 at 7:02 PM  

That sounds like the most perfect day! The cake sounds delicious. My birthday isn't until November. What excuse can I use to get that cake early? I'll have to come up with something. The flowers are beautiful and I love the way you did the photos.

jonahbonah May 10, 2010 at 9:59 PM  

Happy birthday, Sweet Friend!

Melissa

Mommy Elephant Sarah May 10, 2010 at 11:04 PM  

Sounds like a wonderful birthday! Love all the photos!

Chelsey - The Paper Mama May 10, 2010 at 11:08 PM  

Wow! What an awesome birthday! Just think how amazing it will be next year when that 3rd babe is here! Happy birthday (and mother's day) again!
-chelsey

Brandi May 10, 2010 at 11:52 PM  

When you said, "Lots and lots of love, I felt on my birthday," it reminded me of a Winnie the Pooh quote that I saw just today (and for the life of me I cannot remember where I saw it?) where Piglet asks Pooh, "how do you spell love?" and Pooh responds, "you don't spell it, you feel it."

So glad you had a great birthday! :)

Unknown May 11, 2010 at 9:54 AM  

I'm so sorry I missed your birthday! Happy Belated! It looks like it was absolutely wonderful, just like you!

Christina May 11, 2010 at 11:39 AM  

Looks like it was such a good day, that's so nice! I like all the pictures. Yay for surprise flowers and gifts in the mail!! :) and CAKE!

Chelsea May 11, 2010 at 4:01 PM  

I'm so glad you had a great birthday.

That cake looks incredible and those flower photos are amazing! What a sweetie your husband is!

Post a Comment