Home Chapter One Our Vegan Lifestyle Likes Comment-Free

2010 Big Country Air Fest

Sunday, May 2, 2010

For the past couple of days, the Thunderbirds have been flying over and earthquaking our house. I noticed the first rumble a couple of nights ago, during a 30 minute yoga session I was treating myself to- the windows started rattling with no clouds in sight. We're used to planes flying overhead day in and day out, we live on an Air Force Base, but these planes were much louder, and much faster than what we're used to.

When I was finished with my workout, I headed upstairs, where the rest of my family was huddled beside the 3 year olds bed, staring out the window, watching with mesmeration (I may have just made that word up). Charlie was pounding on the window, squealing something in a high pitched excited baby voice, Elie was pointing and jumping up and down every time she saw one do a flip or trick, and Christopher- like a big goofy 13 year old, was sitting on the edge of his seat, wagging his tail, unable to control himself.

I watched for a little while, but having just exhausted all of my energy on downward dogging and trying to bend myself into positions un natural to my ever growing pregnant body- I walked away and opted for a shower. I could wait a couple of days for the air show...


Saturday morning came. We filled up the diaper bag with sippys and pampers, rubbed sunblock thick as glue onto our arms and faces, and headed off into the wild blue yonder. Charlie sat on my back in the ERGO, Elie walked hand in hand with Christopher, and together we all headed down to look at the airplanes.

I had dressed the babies in their flightsuit shirts, what event could possibly be more perfect?

After watching people parachute out of planes, piglet and donkey (her two best imaginary friends), according to Eleanore, we went and found ourselves a cozy spot on the pavement to sit and watch the Thunderbirds.


The kids were being ridiculously cute, climbing all over each other and running in circles around Mommy and Daddy, getting excited over what- they didn't even know yet. Charlie would stomp off into a nearby crowd of strangers, my eye almost glued to his every step, and as soon as somebody would say something to him, he'd put on his shy face and come running back to Mama.



And then... lift off!!

We brought ear plugs, but couldn't get the babies to keep theirs plugged in. Have you ever been to a Thunderbirds show? Its loud enough to rupture your eardrum, maybe even your skull, haha. Christopher and I decided our hands would make appropriate ear covers for the babies, so there we sat, their little heads cradled in our fingers- staring up at the jets in the sky. We'd be watching 4 of them flip and twist that way and that way, and then another two would come flying out from behind us, without any warning, causing a wave of startles in the audience. Up, and down, and roll roll roll. Fast, and slow, side to side to side. Twirly whirly, zoom zoom zoom- was there anything they couldn't do?


As the Thunderbirds were landing, we strapped Charlie back into his cocoon, shook Elie's wobbly legs to a standing, and went off to get a closer look at what the show had to offer. We walked through planes, we ran our fingertips along the barrels of guns, we danced with history.

And did I mention, that during the Air Show, they were using the music from the movie Transformers, to pump us up? Its hard not to let your inner American Flag come out when you've got Bumblebee and Optimus Prime there with you.


We don't usually buy souvenirs, we're really picky when it comes to how we spend our money or what kind of junk we bring home with us- but it was pretty obvious that both of the kids needed toy planes. They both got the same one, with the least amount of parts. Nothing to fight over, and nothing to accidentally or purposely swallow.


From the moment that Eleanore had hers in hand, she was too busy zig zagging it and loopty looping it, to even concentrate on walking. We stopped frequently, to let her drive it along the ground, swirl it around in the muggy air, and eventually- bring it in for a landing on Mommy's tummy.

Another amazing day, that hopefully made long lasting impressions in the minds of our little ones, and helped their hearts grow.

17 comments:

TexasBobbi May 2, 2010 at 8:57 PM  

Sounds like a great a day.

Chana@ Mamma Town May 2, 2010 at 9:26 PM  

I have so many comments I don't know where to start.
1. Your son's hair cut is the most adorable thing I have ever seen.
2. Your hair is a very beautiful shade of red now and I love it with your skin tone.
3. Your belly? Don't get me started on the cute-ness of that. Baby making will resume tonight thanks to you (tmi?)
4. That little girl has the most beautiful eyes in the world!
5. You and Christopher....ugh. True Love.
And thats all:)

CraftGirlAlli May 2, 2010 at 9:29 PM  

how fun!!! I wish we had something like that around here!

Chelsey - The Paper Mama May 2, 2010 at 10:21 PM  

Lovely day! Great photos! Love the belly! Fun family!
-chelsey

Allison May 2, 2010 at 10:22 PM  

I love all your pictures of the air show! That sounds like it was a ton of fun.

And that picture of your daughter landing the plane on your belly bumb? Priceless.

CourtneyKeb May 2, 2010 at 10:49 PM  

What's cooler than watching airplanes on (what looks like) a warm breezy day?!!!

and my heart melts for a photo of a daddy holding his baby girl's hand.

Oh, and you may not have taken a picture of you and the hubs covering the babies' ears with your hands, but in my head the picture is so cute!
;)

soul_searching_mama May 2, 2010 at 10:49 PM  

Love the photos! :) I love Charlie's new haircut - make a stinkin' cute baby even more stinkin' cute. And Elie is so pretty it is ridiculous. Loved seeing you with your baby belly too! Looks like a wonderful outing with a beautiful family. :)

beka May 2, 2010 at 11:12 PM  

Sweetness:) All in all, sounds like an experience to remember.
(Laughing out loud inside to Chana's comment....babymaking...)

Anonymous,  May 3, 2010 at 12:55 AM  

Your family is beautiful! I tell you that all the time so whatever. And your belly? SO CUTE! I just want to rub it. Not in a creepy way. Unless you want me to be creepy.

Mommy Elephant Sarah May 3, 2010 at 3:10 AM  

Looks like a great day! It's nice you guys are able to do something like that! :)

Now how come your faded red still looks great, and mine looked like crap! NOT fair!

Lisa@goodknits May 3, 2010 at 7:28 AM  

That sounds/looks like so much fun. Your kids are SO CUTE it hurts!

Oh Mandie May 3, 2010 at 9:11 AM  

This brought back a zillion memories for me. We used to go see the Blue Angels every year when I was growing up in Va.

Looks like you guys had a blast!

They call me mommy... May 3, 2010 at 8:08 PM  

Oh my!What a beautiful family! I LOVE the pictures! Sounds like a great day! Oh and your adorable baby belly!Too cute!!

Hybrid Hopes May 3, 2010 at 9:30 PM  

geez, charlie (and el) are getting so big.

Rogue Wild May 4, 2010 at 9:49 AM  

how fun! we've never been to an air show ... there is a base here, in N. Las Vegas, and sometimes we hear & see them flying over the nearby mountain range, but nothing like yours =o)

Colleen May 5, 2010 at 6:18 AM  

I love it! Airshows are the best! That was one of my favorite things about living in Pensacola ages ago. I remember doing the very same thing you did, holding the kids ears with my hands. Love all the great pictures. I'm now trying to figure out where and when the nearest air show is to me.

Chelsea May 8, 2010 at 5:39 PM  

those are awesome pics girl. LOVE THOSE!

Post a Comment