Home Chapter One Our Vegan Lifestyle Likes Comment-Free

Hello Little Beetle Bug

Monday, April 5, 2010

I don't know why, but Miss Eleanore seems to really like pill bugs. You know the kind I'm talking about, the little potato bugs? What else are they called... rolly polly bugs? For some reason, we call them beetle bugs.

They're tiny, they have lots of legs, and they must be magical- just like everything else that amazes Elie.

We have gaps in the bottoms of our doors, that we clog with toilet paper. I'm not exaggerating. We literally do not use our back door, because its stuffed shut with an entire roll of two-ply. If we don't clog it, the bugs use it as their own personal expressway, and the next thing we know, we've got 20 wolf spiders having a party under the play kitchen with a small family of pincher bugs.


While Eleanore was sitting down at the table for lunch, I noticed a pill bug that had snuck his way past the tissue barrier, crawling across the freshly swept floor. They're constantly finding their way inside, to the point of them not even grabbing her attention anymore- they blend in that much.


I called her down from the table, "look, Elie! A beetle bug! He wants to play!". Her eyes scan the room, where where where, she wonders. And then she spots him. She jumps down, she crouches over him, and like every lovely 3 year old girl dressed in pink polka dots and a tutu would do- she growls at it.


There he is, crawling along. Legs moving as fast as they can carry him. Instantly, she loves him.


Walk walk walk. Beetle Bug likes to walk.


She holds her fingers up and demonstrates how small he is, says something about how hes tiny and cute and adorable and she loves him, and then when I tell her that its time to go back to the table for lunch (always the bad guy, I am), she throws a small tantrum. I remind her that she'll see him again, we always do, and she gets up and goes back to her chair with a pout on her face. She watches him crawl away, and before we know it, shes humming to the tune of a song shes made up for him, and hes out of sight.

14 comments:

Oh Mandie April 5, 2010 at 7:38 AM  

My kids love rolly pollys too, but being boys they are more into jabbing them with poiny fingers so that they roll up.

Usually they end up killing them, lol.

It could be worse though, in a few years I'm sure it'll be magnifying glasses and ants.

They call me mommy... April 5, 2010 at 9:31 AM  

She is just to adorable! You are amazing with that camera, perfect pictures. Thanks to me *and my fear of everything* my daughter would probably freak out and ask daddy to "smash it". LOL

Fallon April 5, 2010 at 9:48 AM  

Stopping by to read your posts is always entertaining :) Rolly pollys are among the only insect that doesn't freak me out.

Rogue Wild April 5, 2010 at 9:57 AM  

they ARE magical!! and they tickle when they crawl across your hand lol

don't tell Elie, but our chickens LOVE them!!

Alyssa S. April 5, 2010 at 10:07 AM  

I love rolly pollies :) I used to search them out and play with them when I was little. I haven't seen any here in Houston since we've moved here. Amelia is more into lizards and (sigh) snakes. I've had to teach her that it's not OK just to walk up and try to touch a snake! She's really not into bugs, well, except for the few dead spiders she's brought to me. ICK.

beka April 5, 2010 at 10:12 AM  

Holy schnitzel.
You had me at the "20 wolf spiders having a party under the play kitchen with a small family of pincher bugs".... ay yi yi!
OmG, shoving that out of my mind. :|
Oh my goodness, she's so cute.
Growling at a beetle bug? Yeah--we call them potato bugs up here. I was fascinated with them when I was like 8. Good memories. They played dead in the palm of my hand. ;)

Sweet post, Tia!

Chana@ Mamma Town April 5, 2010 at 10:34 AM  

Love this! Sophie is obsessed with bugs too...and snakes. Aren't girls supposed to be scared of all things creepy?:) I thought I was off the hook, but nope! I love her little outfit by the way!

soul_searching_mama April 5, 2010 at 11:37 AM  

Love the pictures as always! :) Still recovering from the mention of wolf spiders and pincher bugs though...I feel like they are crawling all over me! Ugh!

SillyLittleLady April 5, 2010 at 2:30 PM  

Elie looks like Christopher in these photos! What a magical little moment you guys had with the rolly polly (as I call them hehe). Oh, and I got your postcard today thank you so much, its beautiful!

Unknown April 5, 2010 at 4:35 PM  

She is so freaking adorable! She would have had a hay day at my parent's house yesterday. My brother and I found a colony in the dirt. There were probably about 50!

Chelsey - The Paper Mama April 5, 2010 at 6:46 PM  

So sweet! My friends son calls them Bakugan's. Congrats on the new pregnancy. I just had my little babe in December.

Alita April 5, 2010 at 7:48 PM  

I'm not lying when I say this... Those are some of the cutest bug pictures ever. I know I should get used to it with boys, but bugs really don't impress me much. These pics did though. SO CUTE!

Amy April 6, 2010 at 12:41 AM  

Rolly pollies must be the stupidest bug alive. I'm forever finding their little half-rolled carcasses in our basement. Like, they're walking along, something scares them, they roll up in a ball... then can't remember how to unroll properly, end up upside down, and die.

Stupid bugs.

Post a Comment