Home Chapter One Our Vegan Lifestyle Likes Comment-Free

92 Degrees In April

Tuesday, April 6, 2010

On the first day of spring this year, it snowed. Actual snowflakes, wind and ice, the whole bit. A week later, if that, the temperatures of the new season had gathered their thoughts, rightfully pushed old man winter out of the way, and sent the mercury on the thermometer all the way to 92 degrees.

I forgot how warm 92 degrees is. When you're bundled up in blankets with thick socks wrapped around your skin from your toes to your knees, a warm temperature like ninety two sounds like heaven, right? But when you're loading and unloading two kids from your minivan in the middle of multiple busy parking lots, dodging wasps and alien clicking bugs that always sound like they're about to crawl into your ear- 92 degrees suddenly seems very real, and dare I even say a little over the top?




In the early afternoon, as we were leaving the Airman's Attic, we passed a beaten up dirty play kitchen that was being set out by the dumpster. Eleanore's eyes lit up, and before I could say no, it was in the back of The Bob. As I was lifting it, I had my eyes half squinted shut, repeating "no spiders, no spiders, no spiders" as quietly as I could, so not to wake any sleeping insects that might hear me. Yes, we already have a play kitchen, one that Santa brought us for Christmas a few years ago, but this one, if cleaned up properly, would make a nice outside toy. We could always find a new family to take it in later if need be.

As we were driving home, after picking up a few new summer tank tops and a VHS movie or two (we have VCRs in both Eleanore's room, and the living room), I promised Elie that after baby brother went to sleep, we'd wash her play kitchen together. And of course, after I finally got Charlie settled down in his crib, and was just about to put my feet up on the back of the couch... she held me to my word.



After cleaning the kitchen until it couldn't possibly get any cleaner, I sent Miss Eleanore to water the grass in the front yard, which turned into her watering the tree, which turned into the tree flooding, which turned into me giving her a pot from the kitchen to make "water soup" in. The pot is actually what we had used as our soap bucket when washing the kitchen, since I couldn't find a plastic bucket, so the water soup turned into soap soup.



This was apparently, the best idea ever. I would have never thought that filling a pot with a seemingly endless stream of water could be so much fun. Usually we'd fill up the inflatable pool and she'd have her summer fun in that, but after two long summers of non stop use, it was time to retire the pool that has yet to be replaced.

Pots and pans. Hmmph. So simple.

ok we're still going to get another pool soon though.


After an hour or two, Brother stumbled out of bed with messy hair and a hunger for sidewalk chalk, and came out to have his turn playing with the cold-water hose.




He stomped around on the wet cement, laughed and squealed every time the water splashed onto his still sleepy skin, and without setting his chalk sticks down for even a second (hes been eating it, against our best efforts) he went back and forth, to and from, the wondrous portable fountain, not wanting to even blink, for fear of the water coming to an end.


If its 92 degrees in the first week of April, I don't want to even imagine what our summer is going to be like.

But I guess if all days are as fun as this one turned out to be, then we'll manage to get by...

17 comments:

They call me mommy... April 6, 2010 at 11:10 PM  

AWW your little babies are the cutest! I know how it is, I am helpless to Julie's power too, I can't take that girl anywhere without getting her SOMETHING... LOL! Adorable pictures! Also thank you for reminding me, we also need to get a new pool for the kiddos. *and mommy* I am loving the weather NOW but come mid summer I will be NEEDING a pool!

beka April 6, 2010 at 11:18 PM  

Gosh, I hope this day was just a spazz! I would hate to be pregnant in such hot weather. Yikes. Not sure I could take it.
Ultra-cute pics, though:) Golly. And water definitely helped. ;)

Mommy Elephant Sarah April 7, 2010 at 1:09 AM  

Love the photos! Looks like so much fun, and so simple! What a score on the freebie! Love when that happens! :)

CourtneyKeb April 7, 2010 at 7:44 AM  

Holy Moly 92 already?
and I thought it was too warm at 82 over here!

I wish we were neighbors!
(meant in the least weird way possible) :)

Chana@ Mamma Town April 7, 2010 at 10:09 AM  

UGH! I love it so much! That really looks like so much fun and I can't wait till 92 creeps it's way up from Texas to MN! Cutest kids EVER! (next to mine of course-haha!)

Karin Schueller April 7, 2010 at 10:10 AM  

That little water foot print gave me the biggest smile. :)

Brandy L April 7, 2010 at 11:20 AM  

Looks like both kids were enjoying the beautiful weather as well. I hope you guys get an amazing summer full of hot sunny weather. I love the photo of Charlie's little foot print on the cement. Priceless and frameable.

Brandi April 7, 2010 at 11:53 AM  

wow, that play kitchen was a great find! i always loved playing in the water hose too when i was a kid :)

Chelsey - The Paper Mama April 7, 2010 at 12:14 PM  

What a find! And, waaaay too hot. Not my sort of weather. I'll take 75 with a slight breeze...
-chelsey

Kunklebaby April 7, 2010 at 1:11 PM  

Looks like a super fun day!! 92-yikes!! It was 85 here and I was hot-hot-hot! Not used to such warm weather so early here in Ohio!

Love the footprint shot!!

soul_searching_mama April 7, 2010 at 4:42 PM  

Love the photos! :) But yes, 92 degrees is over the top. I like it to be in the 70s...80s on days we want to swim. But no higher than like 85. Good luck with your summer! :) And I need to try the water and pots thing...

Anonymous,  April 7, 2010 at 11:45 PM  

It was totally warm today! I did some gardening and was happy to get the occasional mist from the water hose!

Johanna April 8, 2010 at 8:43 PM  

oh they are precious! looks like they had fun. I love how its the simplest form of play that kids like best.

Colleen April 8, 2010 at 9:03 PM  

I don't care where you live, 92 degrees in April is ridiculous! We were up around 93 the last couple of days. That's soooo not normal for this area! All of your pictures were amazing and what a great find that kitchen was! Enjoy!

LeAnna April 9, 2010 at 7:50 AM  

Ah! I'm in fear and trepidation over how hot this summer is going to be. And how pregnant I'm going to be. And how miserable. And, and, and...
I'm not letting myself turn on the a/c yet, but when it creeps up to 80 degrees IN the house, people get cranky. I'm armed with a new sprinkly pool for the little man. I'll be adding pots and pans to my arsenal, now, too. Thanks. :)

Tori April 10, 2010 at 10:36 AM  

What adorable kids you have!! Those pictures are great--way to capture the fun of heat and a hose!

♥ Tori

Unknown April 10, 2010 at 10:49 AM  

My heart has officially melted into a puddle on the floor. PRECIOUS.

Post a Comment