Home Chapter One Our Vegan Lifestyle Likes Comment-Free

Week 32

Friday, March 5, 2010


I'm still keeping all of my old photographs in a cardboard Huggies Diaper Wipes box. How sad, right? They're all crammed in there, piled on top of each other, some getting ruined I'm sure. I need to get actual photo storage boxes. Every week I have to pull them all out to find the picture I want, and then the pictures start to pile up inside and on top of the scanner, because I don't want to go back to the Huggies box to try to put them away, knowing that they're going to slide right off of the top of the pile anyways. What I've started doing, is pulling out multiple photos at once, and planning ahead. There are so many images held captive in that little box, I have so many memories to choose from. But even with the choice of a thousand memories- I still have my favorites, and I still dig for them.


When Eleanore was born, I lived alone. Christopher was going through his Air Force Tech School at Sheppard AFB, and wasn't allowed to live with me. I had moved from Washington to Texas (would you believe I drove across country, while 6 months pregnant, with my mother in law?), and I lived in a small ghetto style apartment, furnished with the most uncomfortable "rustic" furniture (the landlord's words, not mine)- completely alone.

About two weeks after Elie was born, while I was in the middle of completely losing my mind, just as postpartum depression was starting to settle in- my very best friend in the entire world, Kalii, came to visit.

Kalii and I met in our high school PE/Dance class. She dropped out of the class not too far into it, and since we didn't have any other classes together, we never ran into each other. We ended up having a study hall type class together the next semester, and while we weren't best friends at the time, we did sit together and occasionally crack jokes about things that weren't actually funny. A year or so later, we bumped into each other at a show at the Roseland Theater in Portland, both of us had gone alone, and from that day forth, we pretty much never left each others side. I will never be able to describe the connection that Kalii and I have. I trust her with my life. I trust her with my children's lives.

Kalii is the godmother to both Eleanore and Charlie, and will also be godmother to the bean, after he/she is born.

Kalii has come to visit us in Texas more than anybody else. She came when Elie was born (pictured above), she came for my first art show, and she came last year for my birthday.

I have a hard time talking to her without crying. I miss her more than I miss my own parents. Other than Christopher, I'm closer to her than anybody I've ever known. I can tell her anything. We've only fought once, and wouldn't you guess, it was over a boy- but not in the way that you might think. We can sit and watch movies like Homeward Bound together. We can laugh over nothing, so hard that we cry and make our stomachs hurt. She loves me and my family the way that a sister would. Shes more than a friend. Shes my best friend. My true Bff. The most beautiful, and strongest woman that I've ever met. Nobody else will ever compare.

Flashback Friday Button


*****************************************

Want to play along? Share a picture of your best friend with us? Maybe just a friend? Or if you don't have an old photo that goes along with this weeks theme, share any old picture with us, the theme is totally optional anyways. You don't need to have a blog, you can post your Flashback on your facebook, twitpic, myspace, wherever. Just make sure to add your link to the list below, and add our link to your post. You can use our fancy "Flashback Friday" button (which can be found wayyyy down at the bottom of our page, below all of our posts), or you can do it the old fashioned text link style- its up to you. The more players, the merrier! Can't wait to see every ones flashbacks this week!


11 comments:

Alyssa S. March 5, 2010 at 7:34 AM  

What a cool picture! You are so very lucky to have a precious BFF like that. I've had some really awesome friends, some who I consider some of my best friends, but I can't really point to one BFF who has always been right there with me through it all.

Fallon March 5, 2010 at 9:03 AM  

How sweet :) I'm lucky to have one of those too!

Giggly March 5, 2010 at 10:27 AM  

This photo really captures the moment. I love it. I'm sure it captures many emotions for you as well.

That's so wonderful to have had, and still have such a close and dear friend. Thank you for sharing this story. :)

Hope you are feeling good and all is well with your pregnancy. XOXOX

P.S. I haven't been sticking to the theme of the Flashbacks... :( LOL

beka March 5, 2010 at 2:03 PM  

Love friends like that. Best friends. I've got a biological one (my older sis) and a non-bio who lives out of stat 7hrs away. Seen her 3 times in my life. But best friends for sure. :)

Mommy Elephant Sarah March 5, 2010 at 9:11 PM  

You are lucky to have a friend like that. I haven't been that close to anyone in 15 years. Kind of sad.

Adrienne March 5, 2010 at 9:27 PM  

You are so lucky to have such a fantastic BFF! Thank you for sharing her with us. :)

The Girl Made From Color March 5, 2010 at 9:49 PM  

That is a great picture. And your story is awesome as well. I'd love too have that great of a friend.

soul_searching_mama March 6, 2010 at 12:17 AM  

Awesome picture! :) Aren't best friends the best?! I love love love the theme this week, because I love love love my best friend. :)

Alita March 6, 2010 at 6:56 AM  

My bff has been in my life since we were in diapers. So I completely understand the sister like attachment. Great photo! Great story... and driving from WA to Texas, being preggers, AND with your mother in law... brave!

Christina March 6, 2010 at 9:54 AM  

Very sweet! That kind of friend is a true treasure. :)

Shannon O March 7, 2010 at 2:24 PM  

Thanks for sharing Tia! I love how your blog is so YOU! I am taking notes as I create and build my own blog.

I love reading about you and your BFF! - Shannon O | Confessions of a Loving Wife

Post a Comment