Home Chapter One Our Vegan Lifestyle Likes Comment-Free

Hello Charlotte

Wednesday, February 10, 2010

I'm new to photography. The relationship that my camera and I have, is very similar to the relationship that I might have if I adopted a new baby kitten? I'm in love with the idea, and when kitty purrs and loves, its oh so nice, but- sometimes things just don't work out the way that I want them to. Unlike a kitten though, my camera won't tear up my furniture of mistake my dresser drawer for a litter box. It does misbehave, in its own cute digital way, from time to time. I haven't yet trained it to do what I want it to do, and even after I do, it will still have a mind of its own. I think most of our issues are, we just don't yet know each other well enough. We haven't spent enough one on one time together.

The sun did come out the other day, and it wasn't too cold, so we went on an adventure around the neighborhood. I strapped my Canon around my neck, pushed my 30 pound one year old in a stroller in front of me, and hollered constantly at my doddling three year old to keep up. Beside me, was my friend Marie, and her daughter Charlotte.

I've been meaning to do a "real" photo shoot for Charlotte, and even though these pictures turned out precious as can be, I still don't think this one counts. Next week we'll be moving into a new house (more about that later), and this next May Charlotte (Eleanore's very best friend) and her family will be leaving this base altogether. There was a lonely tree in between houses, and even though it was dirty and the girls weren't nearly as into it as they were their stuffed bunny and Elmo friends, we convinced them that the tree was the cool place to be, and while one of us held little girls in place and made silly faces (I'd like to say that was me, but, I'm way too lazy these days to lift a child up anywhere other than into their crib for an afternoon nap), the other one of us snapped picture after picture...


All of the pictures turned out really cute, but the ones of Charlotte were especially "aww" worthy. I had fun playing around with different techniques and programs, which is another thing that I'm still trying to learn. I've heard from more than one person that I should give Light Room a try (?), so that's on my overall to do list as well (remember how I mentioned that we're moving in a week? I haven't packed a single box. That pretty much makes up the rest of my to do list).

Charlotte's Mama was nice enough to let me show off her adorable daughter, by posting her precious face all over my blog for all of you to see (thanks Marie!). Its going to be really hard moving away from such great friends. Our daughter's hearts are going to crumble, not being able to meet each other out in the front yard for summer time water table play dates whenever they please. And now who will sit outside with me while the babies nap, and go through awful catalogs that somehow found their way into our mailboxes? ...Its all part of being a military family, I suppose, and this won't be the last time that we have to move away from the perfect neighbors. Or the last time that my daughters heart will hurt from the aftermath of leaving such an honest friend.

But we sure have some great pictures to remember it all with, don't we?

---------------------------
And if you've got just a minute, I used the same bunny picture that I used on this post, on my "Goodbye, Dramalogues" post, over at the The Mama Dramalogues. Won't you stop over and have a look? All good things must come to an end.

8 comments:

Unknown February 10, 2010 at 6:10 AM  

The photos are just adorable. I love days where you set out into the world just to capture the beauty of life on a camera.

Amy February 10, 2010 at 8:12 AM  

Those are sweet pictures, Tia, and even sweeter memories.

As for Lightroom... GET! IT! GET! IT! Quick, before the free beta trial runs out! It's seriously such an amazing (and powerful) program. It has some great presets too. There's a bit of a learning curve, like with anything, but it's totally worth it.

The thing I love the most about it is the ability to edit in batches, or copy your edits onto subsequent images. So, say you took a dozen pictures, all within seconds/minutes of each other, all with the same lighting, etc, you can edit ONE of them and get it how you like it, then "copy" the changes and "paste" them onto all dozen with just a couple clicks. It has saved me HOURS of post processing time with the last few newborn sessions I've done.

Seriously. It's awesome.

P.S. YOU'RE MOVING? I hope it's to someplace as great for you as the place you're in now. Does being pregnant get you bigger digs??

This Little Bird February 10, 2010 at 8:22 AM  

such a nice sentiment... I love your little photo shoot. Give it time... you and your camera will instantly bond some day soon. Perhaps you can borrow some digital photography books from the library near you ...this will help.

Also.. I didn't realize you guys were moving again (where have I been?) So exciting and sad at the same time. I'll have to get your new address so Sophia can write Eleanore a letter... we do have a letter we need to send off.

Ms. Jessie February 10, 2010 at 9:11 AM  

Tia, maybe teh girls could be pen pals. I know I wish that I would have stayed in contact with my friends from the navy base we lived on.

Alyssa S. February 10, 2010 at 9:26 AM  

Another round of great photos! They turned out great.

Military living is hard. I can't tell you how many good friends I had to see come and go living on base for many years. Hopefully some new friends will be in store with the new move :)

soul_searching_mama February 10, 2010 at 3:40 PM  

<3 the photos! :) Good luck with everything you have going on right now - house, Charlie, pregnant, etc. Take a little bit of time to rest too, if you can. :)

Sarah February 10, 2010 at 8:53 PM  

i love your photography.

thanks for your email, by the way. it made me happy. sorry i have not responded, this week has been a mess ... we are all starting to feel better though. love-love and kisses to charlie and the rest of your family!

Christina February 11, 2010 at 8:28 AM  

Those are great pictures! I really don't know a lot about taking photos but I pretend to know enough, to take pictures for Etsy and such. I wish I had a cool camera and better skills! :P

Post a Comment