Home Chapter One Our Vegan Lifestyle Likes Comment-Free

Glitter Hummingbird

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

My dear friend, Miss Jessica Jane, just had her birthday!! I made her gift about a month ago, and had her open it two days early (I'm awful). It took about 4 hours to complete, from start to finish (maybe a little bit longer), most of which I spent hunched over the dining room table avoiding all contact with the kids, for fear that all of us would drown in a brightly colored sea of glitter. Christopher watched the babies, what a nice hubby, giving me an entire afternoon to finish my project.

Want to see it?

Ok well first you get to see the packaging.



A little tissue paper. Some pearls. And the picture that I used to make the gift itself, turned into a little card.

Ok, now are you ready to see whats hidden underneath the frill?



...a lot, of glitter. There isn't one spec of space not sparkling on that wooden plaque.

Jessica takes beautiful photographs. A picture that really stood out to me, when browsing her flickr account, was a picture that she took on her balcony, of a hummingbird. I wanted to make her something using one of her pictures, and this glitter art was the result.


Her photo is there on the top, and my glitter replica is there on the bottom. Not bad, right? I mean, its tacky as hell, and possibly making a mess all over her floor, since I forgot to put any kind of clear coat on it, but- I kinda like how it turned out.

Happy Birthday Jessica!!

15 comments:

Johanna December 1, 2009 at 7:04 AM  

i thinkits so cool. i've never seen anything like it. i'm curious to know how you made it.

April December 1, 2009 at 7:16 AM  

I think it's beautiful!!

Alyssa S. December 1, 2009 at 8:34 AM  

Oh...WOW! I can't even imagine the time and detail that took. You did an amazing job. I bet she loved it...and I'm jealous :)

Unknown December 1, 2009 at 8:50 AM  

I refuse to believe that artwork made entirely of glitter can be described as 'tacky' cuz in my books, glitter art is just plain awesome!

You did a great job! I'm sure she was jumping up and down upon opening it!

Sarah December 1, 2009 at 8:53 AM  

I love how it turned out!!! You, my friend, ROCK.

Fallon December 1, 2009 at 9:14 AM  

That is such a sweet and clever gift! You did an amazing job :)

Giggly December 1, 2009 at 11:07 AM  

I don't think it's tacky, it's fabulous!! How sweet of you to make a personalized gift that she will sure to be in love with, there is no doubt!

Very, very, cool!

Anonymous,  December 1, 2009 at 1:38 PM  

That is awesome! I'm also interested in how you did it.

iampalegreen December 1, 2009 at 2:19 PM  

That's totally awesome! I love glitter and sparkly stuff. :)

Lauren December 1, 2009 at 6:39 PM  

That is so cool! And very adorable =D.

Tia December 1, 2009 at 10:02 PM  

You are so funny :) I like it! I've been wanting to make one of these types of "glitter paintings" since seeing the idea in MS mag. Was it as hard to do as it looks?

MM December 2, 2009 at 2:12 PM  

shit, that's awesome.

yay glitter!

Anonymous,  December 3, 2009 at 6:28 AM  

that's so cool - what a thoughtful gift!!!

This Little Bird December 3, 2009 at 8:04 AM  

It's beautiful Tia... great job. I bet your friend was super happy and proud that you used one of her photos. A very original idea. And how did you get all that glitter to stick?

Post a Comment