Home Chapter One Our Vegan Lifestyle Likes Comment-Free

Sinuses and sucky Santa's.

Saturday, December 13, 2008

After forcing myself into a mask of minimal makeup, and sitting through over three hours of military Christmas chaos in an uncomfortable hotel fold out chair, I hurried home and passed out with my face in a small lake of drool on my pillow. 2 hours later I woke up to the unforgiving pounding of the left side of my face, and a burning in my chest that whistled with every breath. Every 5 minutes, for at least 2 hours, I told myself I was going to drive down to the ER and beg for relief, but eventually settled into a not so cozy nest on the couch downstairs where I was able to finally fall asleep. Before the sun came up, I was dressed and driving to the urgency clinic, hoping to be the first one there, and seen right away. Apparently I wasn't the only one. I pulled into the parking lot as they were unlocking the doors, and was astonished by the line of elderly who had beat me to the punch. Well, luckily, I had been there at least 1,000 times before, so didn't have to fill out any paperwork, and was seen 3rd. By the time the cranky nurse that called me back was breaking the scale with my weight, the waiting room was completely full, and I was counting my blessings that I got there when I did. There's nothing worse than wasting hours upon hours in a walk-in clinic lobby full of obnoxious coughing and sniffling. The doctor asked me, "so whens that baby due?". I told her the day after Christmas, and then tugged on her shirt sleeve and looked at her with wide eyes and begged her to make the pain stop. An hour later I left with both an ear and sinus infection. I guess I could have had them when I got there, but until I heard her say it, I had just been fighting a cold. I must have thanked her 10 times for my prescription, even though she said it wasn't the best for my condition. There aren't many options for a gal in her 37th week of pregnancy are there? My biggest fear for the past 5 days, is that I would go into labor and not have the option to hold my dear Charlie and risk him getting sick too. I slammed down the first 2 pills from my z-pack immediately, and maybe its just the placebo effect, but already feel much much much better. When I got home from my early morning doctors office adventures, Christopher woke up Miss Eleanore Sue, we got her all dolled up in her fancy Christmas dress, and headed down to the BX (a military version of a mini mall) to meet Santa Claus, as promised. Too bad it was an awful Santa, that had me working extra hard for the next half hour to get her excited about the jerk that she had just met. Next weekend I think we'll fork over the money and take her to the North Pole, also known as the Abilene Mall, and introduce her to the real Santa. Or at least, a Santa that gets payed to be jolly.

18 comments:

Unknown December 13, 2008 at 9:10 PM  

AW Tia!! Your blog post is so sad! At least Elie is young enough to forget and since she is smiling in her picture, she will always associate her experience as being a happy one!!

Sorry you are sick! Sounds horrible. Get well soon and pop that baby out!!

Maggie December 13, 2008 at 11:18 PM  

Aw, hugs and I hope you feel better soon.

When I was about the age of Miss E, Santa came to my house and visited me while I was in my bathtub. The minute he spoke to me, I recognized him as the chain smoking fireman that was a buddy of my dad's. The fire company always drove their truck through the neighborhood at Christmastime and Santa waved from the top of the truck- I guess since this was a friend of my dad, I got the extra personal visit.

I was not scarred for life, though, and demanded to see the REAL Santa who was at the Cherry Hill Mall.

Megan December 14, 2008 at 12:25 AM  

I'm glad you got some medicine and i hope you start feeling better!

And holy moley, that is the worst looking Santa I think I've ever seen, lol.

Jan December 14, 2008 at 1:36 AM  

I LOVE LOVE LOVE your writing . . . .although I'm sorry that you had to endure such a traumatic day! Hope you're feeling better as we "speak"!

Jan December 14, 2008 at 1:37 AM  

I LOVE LOVE LOVE your writing . . . .although I'm sorry that you had to endure such a traumatic day! Hope you're feeling better as we "speak"!

Hobocamp Crafts December 14, 2008 at 5:53 AM  

oh honey! you poor girl.I hope you're feeling a little bit better now. Sucky santas are terrible. Although one of my favorite pictures is from when I was about 6 and I'm on yet another Sucky Santa's lap- but I love the pic. Everytime my dad sees it he says Boy that was a terrible Santa!
:)

LeaKarts December 14, 2008 at 10:08 AM  

Aw :( I hope you feel all better soon before Charlie gets there!

Btw, I LOVE your pregnant belly pictures! You are gorgeous :)

Anonymous,  December 14, 2008 at 12:44 PM  

I feel so bad for you. I had a bad ear infection when I was pregnant too and I remember how miserable that was. I hope you get feeling better soon.
I still remember one particularly horrendous military Santa from my childhood. I am pretty sure that he hated not just kids, but all of mankind too. Where do they find these guys???

Hybrid Hopes December 14, 2008 at 1:39 PM  

Is that Santa drunk? He looks like he could be.

Anonymous,  December 14, 2008 at 8:53 PM  

I hope the Marine Santa's we have here are better. But then again, I'm not sure if the PX here does the Santa meet-and-greet!
I hope your daughter had fun, anyway!

April December 15, 2008 at 8:30 AM  

That is terrible...what a bunch of horribleness...but sucky Santa...geez...that blows.

Hope you're all better...baby in hand soon!

Victoria December 15, 2008 at 9:28 AM  

Oh poor you! I hope you feel all better soon! Wishing you and yours a very merry Christmas, a very happy delivery and wonderful New year!

PS. Sucky Santa impersonators are the worst and all should be sent to Siberia. Hope your little girl gets to meet the real deal next time!

five dot design December 15, 2008 at 3:18 PM  

ugh- i feel ya! the day before i went into labor i got a full on cold- complete with horrid cough that came every 2 minutes and i couldn't breath in an ounce of air thru my nose. it was the worst pregnancy recovery known to man (well, me anyway and seeing as it was my first kid, i didn't have anything to compare it to, but still. it was horrid and awful). slam those meds now! it took 4 hours to get cough medicine in the hospital! my nurse came in at 2:30am and said, here's your medicine... and you're getting a roommate. that's another story.

hope you feel better! and i have to say, that little devilish smirk is too cute!

BeckyKay December 15, 2008 at 4:11 PM  

Oh, you poor thing!!! Get better really, really fast!!

I'll be thinking of you!

jenny December 17, 2008 at 4:06 AM  

so did you have your baby yet or is he or she? going to be a christmas baby?? just wanting to know .

Chelsey - The Paper Mama December 18, 2008 at 11:15 AM  

Well, even though Santa sucked, at least Elie looks adorable!

-chelsey

The Bookish Life December 19, 2008 at 9:00 AM  

Hope you're feeling lots better now! Can't wait to see your little man!

Unknown December 20, 2008 at 3:53 PM  

he looks a little suspect...

Post a Comment