Home Chapter One Our Vegan Lifestyle Likes Comment-Free

Soda fountains and lemon juice.

Saturday, May 3, 2008

Yesterday was the first time I've felt "normal", in at least 8 months. The girls I work with are always going out to eat. Or always ordering in. Pizza. Burgers. Steak salad. Whatever they want. I've never lived a life where I could do that. Not even when I could eat those foods, was I able to eat them without feeling guilty for not treating my body better. I have to keep in mind that I don't work every day, and I'm sure there are days when they bring their own lunch or dinner, I just rarely see that. I love these girls, its just hard for me to be around food that I can't have. So yesterday there were 4 of us working, and they're all talking about what they're going to go get. Whenever they do this, it kills me, but I have to accept that people do eat. For those of you who are confused as heck right now as to why I care so much what other people eat, I have food intolerance's. Severe food intolerance's, that prevent me from eating anything that most people eat. I haven't been to a restaurant since August when I went back home to Portland for a visit. And even then, I got horribly sick. But as I was saying, the ladies all decided they'd order sandwiches. I went with one of the girls to pick them up, and while she was paying, I filled up their drinks. Do you have any idea how much fun a soda fountain is?! Oh my gosh, so much fun. I enjoyed every second of pushing the buttons and watching the fizzy drinks fall into the big plastic cups. Amongst the rest of the condiments, were tiny packets of lemon juice. I picked one up, examined both the front and back of it, and then set it back down. "Why do they have lemon juice?" I wondered. After I set it down, I picked it back up. "Do they have fish sandwiches here?".... "Maybe you mix it with your lemonade?". Well, it was time to go, so I'd have to ponder the many purposes of the lemon juice packets later. I completely forgot about my curiosity until we were closing the store after dark. "They had little packets of lemon juice at Subway... isn't that weird?", I say to my bosses. They give me the same look they always give me when I don't understand something obvious, smiled real big, and said "You put it in your tea". ...really?. Why is Texas so big on tea? I never saw that back home. I was going to grab a couple handfuls of the packets, along with some handfuls of sugar, and make lemonade. Too bad they didn't have real sugar. How funny. You normal folks are weird.


From top to bottom:
-"Lemon", by GoBuggy, $15.00.

6 comments:

Anonymous,  May 3, 2008 at 11:35 AM  

That felt pizza is adorable! I would think it has to suck to have a food intolerance. I am careful what I eat but I chocolate is my weakness.
I can't and won't eat at fast food joints.

Callooh Callay May 3, 2008 at 11:43 AM  

I love the felt food! You know, I don't think those little packets taste a whole lot like lemon juice--kind of like packets of creamer. Not the same thing.

Beat Black May 3, 2008 at 12:09 PM  

o im so sorry to hear about your food intolerances. im a foodie and it breaks my heart to hear this!

Anonymous,  May 3, 2008 at 6:45 PM  

For the love of God, that pizza looks good enough to eat!

Michelle Engel Bencsko May 3, 2008 at 8:33 PM  

Those lemon packets don't really taste like lemons, so I'd go ahead and use the fake sugar. You'll probably wind up with something that tastes like flat Mountain Dew.

tattytiara May 3, 2008 at 8:41 PM  

I have never seen lemon juice packets put out for tea drinkers in my life. Only for fish. New one on me for sure!

Post a Comment