Home Chapter One Our Vegan Lifestyle Likes Comment-Free

Bloomin' Bees

Tuesday, March 8, 2011

I don't know what the weather is like around the rest of the country (because I haven't watched the news in 2 months), but here- its gorgeous. We've had temperatures in the 80s, sun shining brightly in a cloudless sky, blah blah blaaaaah, its perfect.

Well except for today, with the awful winds that turn the sky red because of all of the clay thats been tossed up into the air.

But before that, just beautiful.

Its been so nice, even, that our tree in the front yard is blooming!



I thought it was maybe a fluke, the other day when I peered out the window to look down at the street from the second story, to see tiny little flower buds sticking all over our naked tree's branches, but- nope. Spring has sprung.

And apparently we're not the only ones excited to see the flowers.

Take a closer look...


There, down in the lower right hand corner. See him there? A cute lil' honey bee, helping himself to some delicious pollen.


Oh, and it looks like he has a friend coming to join him!


Um, and three more friends.


And a moth too! It just keeps getting better doesn't it?

So I stand back with the babies, just watching. We realize that the bees are much too busy to bother us, and continue on with our outing to the mailbox. I lean over to one side, from where I stand, and peek at the tree in the neighbor's yard. And then the tree or two beyond that. They're all a buzz with life. Yellow and black stripes flying through the air, bouncing from flower to flower quickly as they can before the sun goes down.

Normally, at the sight of a bee, I turn and run the other way. My Mother is very much allergic, and because I've never been stung, I'm terrified that I'm going to be allergic to.

And even though I'm sure that even if I was [allergic], it probably wouldn't be a life or death situation like the dramatic scene that I picture in my head, but, because of the unknown- I prefer to keep my distance. Meaning: I attack them with my vocal chords and flailing arms, and take cover at the soonest available opportunity.

But I'm learning to cohabitate. With the cute honey makers, at least. The blackjackets on the other hand, I will not hesitate to destroy with my heavy duty can of "DIE, you buzzy stingy thing, DIE!!".



So. It appears that winter has packed up and said goodbye, and spring has taken its place, making itself quite comfortable in our front yard.

And I don't even need to point out how clever I think I am for the the subject title, do I? I've already patted myself on the back for that one.

Post a Comment