Home Chapter One Our Vegan Lifestyle Likes Comment-Free

Flashback Friday: A Set of Elie and Daddy

Thursday, June 24, 2010


This morning as I was re explaining to my oldest (because I have to remind her in one way or another, at least 10 times a day) how shes the "Big Sister", I started thinking back to the days of when she was just, "the baby".

Christopher and I had no idea how to be parents. We had just moved away from our friends and family, from the pacific northwest, to a place in Texas that we didn't even know existed, to embark on his military career. We had a newborn. What do you even do with a newborn?

We were starting from scratch. We hadn't a clue in the world as to what ingredients to use, or how to combine them.

So like I said in the beginning of this post, today I was looking at my almost-4-year-old, being completely nostalgic about days gone by, trying to remember how it all started, just for the sake of remembering. Right now, both kids are upstairs in their beds, I've got complete silence throughout the house (Christopher works the swing shift now), and all the mom-freedom in the world (confined to the house, that is). I came to the computer, in search of older pictures, taken with our very first digital camera (a Walmart purchased Samsung, that matched our cell phones at the time), from Eleanore's baby days. I was overwhelmed with emotion (big surprise there) when I stopped to look through some of them.

When Elie was a baby, we didn't have the internet. I didn't blog. There was no social networking for us.

It was just us- Me and Christopher, living in an apartment, with our daughter.

So for the next couple of weeks, every Friday, rather than digging through the huggies diaper box that I keep to hold all of my old film photographs in- I'm going to be posting sets of pictures that are held on the computer, from Eleanore's baby days. The pictures that never made it to the big screen.

Starting with these ones...










Eleanore was 4 or 5 months old in those pictures. We were living in our first apartment complex (Timber Ridge) here in Abilene. Our first two bedroom place.

For the first time since meeting each other, we had cable tv. For the first time, we could afford to go out and buy groceries (the kind that you can actually make meals out of), we no longer had to rely on whatever my parents could pass our way when we drove out to their farm on the weekends to do our laundry (I swear they must have picked up extra things for us here and there, knowing we survived strictly on ramen).

I don't remember where that bug toy came from, but there was a string on its back that you pulled, and the bug's antennas would light up, and the whole thing would vibrate. She loved it. I'm pretty sure these pictures are the first time we presented it to her.

And this might be something silly to notice, but things have just changed so much since having our first baby- ...look at her cute little matching socks. They even have purple bows on them. Purple bows! Its rare, these days, that we find a matching pair of socks anywhere in our household. Especially the cute ones.

And look at her wrists! Look at the rolls!

Oh and in case you're wondering what I looked like, back then, in the winter of 2006, since you've seen both Eleanore and Christopher...



Turns out I took a "ooh lah lah- look at me" style picture, in between shots that I snapped of the hubs and baby. And I'm not going to lie, I'm totally embarrassed by the face that I'm making, I was obviously trying to look sexy, and now that I'm looking back at it- ...Lord *hangs head in hilarious shame*.

But, I had to share it with you guys anyways. It wouldn't be funny if I didn't.

*note to self: don't make stupid kissy/duck face in any pictures, ever again.

I can't wait to find another set of vintage Eleanore pictures to post next week.

*****************************
Grab an old photo, write a little bit about it, and link up! We love love love to invade your personal polaroid history, so don't be shy, and expect a lot of comments starting with "awwwwww". Unless its a sad post, and then... well those might start with "awww" too. I swear, last week I cried at half of your flashbacks!! Anyways- don't forget to either text link back to this post, or grab one of our buttons from down below.


34 comments:

Giggly June 24, 2010 at 9:42 PM  

Sweetness!! Your first baby story sounds almost exactly like ours. I love it!!

These pics are so sweet. XOXOXOX

Unknown June 24, 2010 at 10:02 PM  

Timber Ridge! Holla!

Okay, those are the cutest pictures ever. And seriously, Elie still totally looks like baby Elie! That is adorable!

Sarah June 24, 2010 at 10:06 PM  

Oh my God she is RIDICULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Brigette June 24, 2010 at 10:09 PM  

I love babys that have the rolls. So freakin adorable. She was/is still an adorable little girl. You must be a proud mama.


Also my husbands friend was telling us a story about how different it is between the first and second child. He was saying that with your first evertyhing has to perfect the pacifer must be clean even if dropped on the floor for 4 seconds. With the second if that pacifer drops you just pick it back up and pop it back in their mouth! You'll have to let me know if this is true! lol. :)

becca.elpy June 24, 2010 at 10:11 PM  

Aww, those pics are so sweet. I don't think I've realized in recent Elie pics how blue her eyes are. What a dear.

This is my first week posting a flashback, though I've been reading yours and loved the idea for some time. It was fun to look back and remember.

:)

Chana@ Mamma Town June 24, 2010 at 11:02 PM  

Oh my GOD! I'm so excited you are doing this! I've always wondered what she looked like as a baby! Elie and Christopher have almost the same hair cut! Hee-hee:)

Lacey June 24, 2010 at 11:05 PM  

You MUST do more baby flashbacks. This one made me say "aaawwwwwww, look how cute!" more than once.

Annie Rose June 24, 2010 at 11:31 PM  

I can't wait to see more Baby E pics!

I also can't wait to to find out if we will be seeing more pink baby outfits around here soon... tee hee!

You make THE cutest babies!

-Andrea

Danielle @ We Have It All June 25, 2010 at 12:38 AM  

LOVE the baby pictures!! And I love the story of you guys just starting out... sounds familiar!

krissilugbill June 25, 2010 at 1:26 AM  

fun photos! i bet it is fun to look back on your little ones photos and think about how fast it is all going! i am gonna have to do that when Lila gets older, she is only 7 months and I feel like she has changed so much already :)

Mommy Elephant Sarah June 25, 2010 at 2:33 AM  

I loved that you shared these photos. It's always nice to see what your "friends" little ones looked like in the baby stage. At first I was like "that doesn't look like her", but you know what...yes, yes it does. I totally see her! Awwwww.

And is Christopher watching TV in that first picture?! hahaha.

Devon June 25, 2010 at 6:32 AM  

oh my!! i guess i expected Elie to look like Charlie as a baby! she definitely doesn't... but i can totally tell it's her! so sweet!!!

Anonymous,  June 25, 2010 at 7:25 AM  

lol I think it's in 20-something female DNA to do weird things with our lips. I know I do! Whether it's kissy-face, or gangsta' lips or my "this is odd" expression (& you can't tell the difference, trust me) they always seem to sneak out on pictures.

Loddelina June 25, 2010 at 7:32 AM  

Such precious father-daughter pictures!

2006 was a very good baby year...

Kunklebaby June 25, 2010 at 8:42 AM  

Awww, she was just as cute then as she is now!Adorable!

I FINALLY have a flashback friday on the my blog. Love seeing your each week.

Dawn K. June 25, 2010 at 9:46 AM  

Love these dad-daughter pics and love your meme! I've joined too!

Dawn
http://www.thewayiseethings.typepad.com

Alyssa S. June 25, 2010 at 10:29 AM  

It's so funny...she looks nothing like Charlie :) Then again, I guess she still doesn't! Seriously, it's so easy to forget what they looked like when they were that tiny. I was just looking back at Amelia and Merrick's pics this week and it's like, "were those my babies??"

Chelsey - The Paper Mama June 25, 2010 at 12:18 PM  

She is such a sweet baby. WOw, it's just so weird that babies grow up... Ok: strange comment. But, looking at Ruari right now... I just can't even imagine what she'll look like!

Excited to see next weeks!

CourtneyKeb June 25, 2010 at 4:13 PM  

That precious baby girl looks like her handsome daddy!!

Melanie @ Whimsical Creations June 25, 2010 at 7:48 PM  

What sweet photos. I love the baby rolls.

Man you brought back memories of being first time parents. Time goes by so fast and I think we change so much as parents.

Christina June 25, 2010 at 8:25 PM  

She looks sooo adorable, and you and Christopher do too!! :P It's amazing to look back on the early days of parenthood. I've only been a momma a little over 2 years but looking back to newborn pictures of my son brings back so many memories and feelings.

Rogue Wild June 25, 2010 at 8:48 PM  

Tia you crack me up, seriously! when I saw your pic the first thing that went through my mind was that you look like the pin-up girls that model for Sugarlesque & Pinup Girl Clothing and that are in Retro Lovely Magazine!!

Jess Craig June 25, 2010 at 10:44 PM  

oh my god, we live in a small world. i seriously found your blog a few months ago when i was doing the shred. i googled stuff and you came up.

so weird how small the internet is. i'm going to follow!

soul_searching_mama June 26, 2010 at 12:03 AM  

Love the older photos! :) Elie is so adorable - even as a baby! :) I also enjoy the new header!

Lynda June 26, 2010 at 12:32 AM  

Babies grow up too darn fast! I really enjoyed reading your flashback, and of course seeing the photos of your adorable little girl as a baby. Amazing how much your life has changed in just a few years!

Lynda June 26, 2010 at 12:36 AM  

I just found this weekly meme, by the way. I saw another site doing it first... she even had a button... (no linky though). Seems kind of like a copycat in retrospect.

Anyway, I'm linking up to your version on my "Be Inspired" page! What a cool meme!

Jess Craig June 26, 2010 at 6:54 AM  

oh, and i've linked to you.

Brandi June 26, 2010 at 9:07 AM  

oh my goodness, such sweet pics! love the new header and sidebar pics too!

Mrs. Mommy June 26, 2010 at 6:15 PM  

I wanted you to know that I gave you an award!

http://adventuresincding.blogspot.com/2010/06/my-first-award.html

Mrs. Mommy June 26, 2010 at 6:15 PM  

Love the pictures! How cute is that?!

Johanna June 26, 2010 at 7:08 PM  

I just love your flashbacks Tia. I love candid you are and the stories that you tell about what your life was like.
It's amazing how far we come in such a short time.
xoxo

beka June 26, 2010 at 11:29 PM  

Hahaha! Gotta love old pictures of oneself... and baby rolls? Yum:)

emily June 27, 2010 at 7:22 PM  

Awww - I'm already starting to feel this way about Hazel's baby photos and she's only 20 months old :)

Post a Comment