Home Chapter One Our Vegan Lifestyle Likes Comment-Free

ERGObaby

Monday, March 29, 2010

When Eleanore was born, we didn't have a clue. About anything. We had no idea which baby thing was better than which, they were all equally confusing, and they all cost money that we didn't have. I lived in the dark, when it came to the internet, not having a computer, or any kind of connection with any other new mothers. In a way, having just moved across country and throwing myself blindfolded into a new military lifestyle, I was living under a rock.

We've been through several baby carriers. The first few we had gotten from the Airman's Attic (a goodwill style place here on base, for enlisted members of the military and their wives/husbands, to donate items to, and sort of "shop" from, at no cost). It was cheaply made, but it was better than nothing. It didn't work for us, and at our first chance to trade it in for a better one, we did just that. Well, what we thought was a better one, wasn't. Two baby carrier FAILS. Nothing was working. They both had hurt my shoulders and back, and neither felt sturdy enough for me to really even take my hands off of the babe while wearing her.

When Charlie was born, we got a ring sling. For the life of me though, I just couldn't get it to work. One time Charlie even fell out of it, right into my arms, thank God, but after that I folded it up and set it aside for good. Next, we got a Baby Bjorn. We thought that maybe if we bought an expensive carrier from Target, with hard earned money, that it would work better. And it did, work better than the previous ones we had gotten for free, that is, but it still didn't work well.

Now, being well into my 2nd trimester with my third child, I have had enough. I got online, finally, and recently came to the conclusion that we were getting an ERGO. Not only am I getting it for the new baby, but, I'm having a heck of a hard time carrying around my 30 pound one year old. The ERGO is good for a child up to 40 pounds (and has been tested up to 90, I read). Yes, its time.

(19 weeks pregnant here)

After a struggle of getting the ERGObaby adjusted and fitted properly, it was like a dream come true. I tried to wear the waist strap both ways, below and above my growing belly. Fastening it below my bump caused me pain, and didn't feel supportive enough. Securing it above, felt right. This is how I'll wear it, as long as I comfortably can.

Charlie wasn't so sure about it at first, being used to either riding on my hip or in the stroller (the ERGO has the option for a hip carry, but being pregnant, there was no way I could pull it off when I tried), but after our first 3 mile walk- he was sold. We've been going out every night, and every adventure, he gets more and more excited. His big sister loves it, because its almost as if Charlie isn't there at all, he keeps so quiet. I love it, because not only am I getting out and getting miles and miles of fresh air, but I've got a happy 3 year old by my side, a happy 1 year old on my back, a happy bean in my belly, and that makes me happy.

20 comments:

Unknown March 29, 2010 at 5:42 AM  

You look beautiful! And I'm glad you finally found a carrier that works right for you and the little ones!

Colleen March 29, 2010 at 7:00 AM  

My poor firstborn was the guinea pig for everything. By the time I got to my fourth, I had pretty much figured out what I liked and didn't like. We had a ring sling and that worked well for smaller infants, but I never used it past 8months or so. The hubby was the one to use the back carriers, but they were awfully big and bulky. The ergo sounds great compared to that.

Danielle March 29, 2010 at 7:56 AM  

What a great find! I love your baby bump! So cute.

Petals March 29, 2010 at 8:36 AM  

I think I am about ready to give in and buy an ergo as well. I have a baby hawk that I have loved dearly and has served us so well. I think I would just be more comfortable lugging around my 31 ound bundle of joy in an ergo.

They call me mommy... March 29, 2010 at 9:06 AM  

Adorable picture!I had a hard time finding one too but I just gave up. I'm glad you found on that fit both you and Charlie. (=

soul_searching_mama March 29, 2010 at 9:43 AM  

We've been looking into getting an ERGO too, but wanted to wait until we had another baby. But now I think I might be able to use it on my two year old too since he is only a little over 30 lbs. Might be nice for hiking. Thanks for sharing! :) Oh, and btw, you are a very beautiful pregnant lady! :)

Chana@ Mamma Town March 29, 2010 at 10:05 AM  

I'm totally getting one of those! You look so stinkin cute by the way:)

mari March 29, 2010 at 10:23 AM  

We just got ours yesterday and I think I'm in love! I probably won't get a chance to really test it out on a long walk for a couple of days yet - but walking around the house felt GREAT. I like it better in the front so far ... but maybe i just need to adjust it more to make the back work. YAY for ERGO! I have 3 friends who swear by it too. ;)

Unknown March 29, 2010 at 10:43 AM  

OMG, Tia, you are shrouded in pregnant mama cuteness.

I had a sling for Annelie when she was a baby... but that was it. I couldn't get her to sit in ANYTHING!! Charlie is so adorable in that little ergo!! Glad you've found something you all love!

This Little Bird March 29, 2010 at 12:45 PM  

I've heard nothing but good things about ERGOS... I'm so glad you found something that works for you... and I gotta say both you and Charlie looks super cute in the photo :)

beka March 29, 2010 at 3:55 PM  

Aw, that's a great picture of your and Charlie. ;)
And thanks for the comment on my vegan cake blogpost. ;) Yeah....cutting back on sugar is good to do...we've been trying to do that, also. Heh heh.
But hey--pictures are good, I know!! :D

p.s. Oh yes, my sister has an ergo she uses when babysitting, etc... it's awesome. :)

Hobocamp Crafts March 29, 2010 at 7:32 PM  

I swear by the Ergo! We love it- so easy to adjust- once you figure it out and I feel more connected with the Hazel over other slings. We too tried a ring sling and althoug occasionally I still use it- nothing makes me feel like Hazel is safe and close like the Ergo. My only mistake was not buying the organic one- at the time the extra 20 bucks just seemed kinda extravagant- but I wish I had. Charlie and new babe will love it!!

TXadventureGirl March 29, 2010 at 10:12 PM  

I don't have kids of my own so I can offer no advice but I have a good friend with a blog on blogspot @ ohbabysanchez. I remember her talking about a Mei Tai and something called a hot sling. I think that those are better with the infants and might be a good choice with your new one on the way. Anyway, I thought I would share as she blogs about it in some of her previous blogs if you want to check it out.

TexasBobbi March 29, 2010 at 10:13 PM  

I love love love my ERGO, You will fall in love with that. Also make sure to get the infant insert for the new baby.

Kyla Roma March 29, 2010 at 10:20 PM  

You look so comfy- and it looks heavy duty and awesome! Glad you finally found the perfect fit =)

Desiree March 30, 2010 at 12:06 AM  

Oh man, every SINGLE time I put on my Ergo I think, HOLY CRAP was this ever worth the $120!! I think I'd have paid a million for it, hah!

Sarah March 30, 2010 at 12:08 AM  

Love it! And you look precious!!!!

Mommy Elephant Sarah March 30, 2010 at 12:18 AM  

You look SO GREAT!! Glad you have had luck with this one. I tried 3 didn't like any really.
Can I ask you...how do you get your hair to stay so red? I really miss mine, but I was having to dye it once a week to keep the bright color. Not really realistic for me right now. Seems like you've had your red for awhile, and it looks good in the picture! Please share!

emily March 30, 2010 at 10:35 AM  

We LOVE our ergo - even though Hazel is our firstborn, I got good advice from lots of like-minded mamas. Our favorite for a newborn was a wrap by far - she spent most of the first three months in her life in her wrap all day long (we have a moby - there are a billion kinds or you can just buy fabric!).

I can't tell you how many people have approached me in public and said something along the lines of "I hate my baby carrier - what is that one?" - because Hazel & I always both look so comfy / cozy / hands free.

Glad you finally found something that works for you!

Unknown March 30, 2010 at 3:01 PM  

Hooray! So glad you love your ERGObaby Carrier. If you email me at hannah@ergobaby.com, I'll send you a little token of our appreciation!

Cheers!
Hannah

Post a Comment