Home Chapter One Our Vegan Lifestyle Likes Comment-Free

Charlies First Birthday!!

Monday, January 4, 2010

A year old, already? One whole year? Wow. 365 days of love, growth, and adventure.

On December 26th, we celebrated our little Charlie's very first birthday. I feel very lucky that my parents have been there for both of my children's first birthdays. In August of 2007, we flew home and celebrated Eleanore's special day in Washington, and then this year my parents flew down here, to celebrate Charlie's special day with him here in Texas.



We decided that going to the zoo would probably be the most appropriate place to go, the kids love it there, and well, its kind of the only place to go in Abilene, so we all loaded up into my parents rented SUV (which at first I thought was ridiculous, why spend so much money on such a huge car when we could just as easily take two smaller cars? But then it turned out that we actually needed it, seeing as how I can't drive worth crap in the snow. Good call on that one, older wiser ones *zips mouth shut*) and headed over to that side of town.


The zoo was still frozen over from the Christmas Eve blizzard, much like the rest of town, so while not all of the animals could come out to play (aww, we missed you giraffes and monkeys!), it sure was pretty.


My parents and I paused for a quick picture somewhere between the turtles and the lions. This was the first time that I had seen my dad in over 2 years. He looked so great, so healthy, it was such a relief to see his smiling face. The summer that I was pregnant with Charlie, my dad got into a motorcycle accident while on a solo roadtrip to California, and was rushed into an emergency surgery to remove his spleen. Had he not have been wearing a helmet, he wouldn't have made it. Finally seeing him in person, being able to hug him and smell him when I inhaled deeply into his shoulder, was a blessing.



Eleanore and Gpa paused to take a break by the buffalo. Towards the end of the path, we all developed a case of the hungrys and tireds, Eleanore coming down with it the worst. We went home, we refueled, we thawed out, and then later in the evening, Charlie got to indulge in his very first chocolate cupcake...



At first he wasn't so sure why everyone was standing around smiling at him, while a brown gooey looking thing sat in front of him on his tray... but once he tried it, it wasn't so bad after all. I ended up cutting it into pieces for him (awww, my baby still needs me to cut up his food for him, goochie goochie goo) so that he might have an easier time actually getting it into his mouth, but boy when he was done, he was done...


Heeeee!

Happy Birthday Charlie!! We love you.

19 comments:

April January 4, 2010 at 7:22 AM  

Looks like you all had a great time! Chocolate covered Charlie sounds like the perfect treat to me!!!!

Anonymous,  January 4, 2010 at 7:59 AM  

Preshy baby!!! He's so cute and pissed off with that cupcake!

Unknown January 4, 2010 at 8:43 AM  

Aww! That's cute! Happy Birthday Charlie!

We just celebrated my nieces 1 year yesterday and it was messy. :D As it should be!

Unknown January 4, 2010 at 9:46 AM  

Aw, happy birthday Charlie!! He still has that super sweet baby face... so adorable!!

mari January 4, 2010 at 9:51 AM  

Wow, it must have snowed across the entire center of the US - the maps said it would. We had 12" in Minnesota on Xmas Eve and Day! It was gorgeous, but ruined some plans.
Happy Birthday Charlie! My girl's first is this Thursday - we're also going to the zoo (indoors though!).

This Little Bird January 4, 2010 at 10:12 AM  

wow... a year has gone by fast... my little lumps will be one tomorrow.

Its wonderful that you got to have your parents there for Charlie's first... it really is the most special birthday EVER! Also, I'm jealous you went to the zoo... we never go cause its too far to drive... we'll go this summer though.

Alyssa S. January 4, 2010 at 2:53 PM  

What a wonderful first birthday! I'm glad you got to see your daddy...and that he is nice and healthy...and that you got to enjoy the birthday all together. My mom is coming to visit next month...her birthday, Amelia's birthday and Merrick's birthday are all within 2 weeks of each others in February. YAY.

soul_searching_mama January 4, 2010 at 3:36 PM  

Awww, Charlie is a cute birthday boy!! :) I'm glad you were able to have your parents there for his 1st birthday! I always love pictures of the messy cupcake faces of kids on their first birthdays...especially since Johnny just cried and wouldn't eat his on his 1st birthday (it was a cookie monster cupcake). Happy Birthday Charlie! :)

Johanna January 4, 2010 at 7:11 PM  

oh my goodness, that last picture is so sweet. his gooet face says it al. happy birthday Charlie!

lollywood January 4, 2010 at 9:55 PM  

happy birthday, charlie!!! i loved his outfit at the zoo... the monkey hat and the hoodie with ears!!! so cute!

Hybrid Hopes January 4, 2010 at 10:39 PM  

In the first pic of Charlie and the Cupcake, it appears that Charlie has chocolate above his right eye.

heh.

Fallon January 5, 2010 at 12:40 AM  

He's soo dang cute!

Happy Birthday Charlie!!

merelythemoon January 5, 2010 at 6:43 AM  

Awww, Happy Birthday Charlie! I love those cheeks of his!

rachaelgking January 5, 2010 at 3:12 PM  

Oh my lord. I totes want to ride that buffalo. And your munchkin is ADORABLE!

The Girl Made From Color January 5, 2010 at 4:55 PM  

The zoo sounds like a great idea for a birthday. My kids haven't gotten to the zoo yet, maybe sometime this spring or summer.

Charlie is one adorable baby. That cupcakes looks delicious. My kids probably couldn't eat it no matter what you do to it. lol.

At least your dad is safe. I had my spleen out when I was younger, so I know what that feels like.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CHARLIE!!!

Sarah January 6, 2010 at 8:57 AM  

Tia - Congrats times a thousand on your pregnancy!!!! I am so excited for you!~! I look forward to pregnancy related posts :)!!!

Sarah January 6, 2010 at 8:57 AM  

And HAPPY FIRST Charlie!!!

beka January 9, 2010 at 4:25 PM  

LOVE that family picture. :) Charlie is adorable!!

Post a Comment