Home Chapter One Our Vegan Lifestyle Likes Comment-Free

Week 22

Friday, December 25, 2009


This weeks flashback is going to be a little bit different. Usually I scan an old image of myself, and then write a little story to go with it. But this week, while most everyone else in the world is focusing on Christmas, the only thing that seems fitting for me, is to go back into the archives, and re post an entry that I wrote for my son, after he was born.

Tomorrow my baby boy turns 1 year old. Can you believe that?

It amazes me. As I write this, little Charlie is sitting in his high chair to the left of me, feeding himself little bits of turkey and and cheese, screaming at his Daddy for pain medicine to help numb the throbbing in his gums. Every day with Charlie is an adventure. Hes had a rocky start, overcoming both the swine flu and pneumonia, surviving everything that his big sister has thrown his way, and before I know it we'll be saying happy birthday to him again, not even having had a chance to soak up what we experienced in 2010.

Anyways. Here is the post that I wrote (without editing) shortly after he was born last year, introducing him to all of you...


--------------------------------------------------

How can I put into type how much I love my son? I can't even get over the fact that I just wrote the word "son". I had to look at the keyboard to make sure I was spelling it right. One of my best friends, Miss Kristen, picked me up at 8am, and after a quick picture party in her car, we were on our way to Abilene Regional to have a baby. The plan was for Christopher, my mother, and my precious Elie Sue to meet up with us there around 11:00, an hour before my scheduled c-section. When Kristen and I got there, they asked me "are you here for your c-section?". I answered with a yes, even though I was only there for blood work, and my surgery wasn't for another 4 hours. Even when the nurse said "get undressed, we'll get your iv hooked up, and then we'll take you back and have a baby!", I still wasn't in tune with the idea that it might be happening much sooner than I expected. And then I get a funny phone call, from Christopher? Hes at home, and he says "guess who just called me?". I don't know, who. "Labor and delivery". Really, why? "They're ready to do your c-section now". Oh OK. Wait... right now?


Then before I know it, Christopher is in front of me putting on scrubs, I've got an iv in my wrist, and I'm holding a shot of what I can only describe as grape vomit that I'm supposed to drink in order to prevent my lungs from burning if I throw up during the surgery. I managed to get away with not drinking it last time, but this time I put on my big girl panties and went through with it. All eyes were on me as I struggled in silence for 5 minutes following, trying my best to keep it down. And then with a handful of tubes and wires, I was wheeled down to the operating room of doom, where I'd feel every second of my spinal, and nearly pass out from the extreme nausea and lung tightening once it took effect. I don't know what I would have done without Christopher. He was my rock through all of it. Usually they don't let the husband in the room during the spinal, according to a baby story at least, but he was there right in front of me, reminding me to breathe the entire time. He commented multiple times on the ridiculous amount of sweat pouring off of my body, but other than that, he was amazing. Thank you honey, I would have died if you hadn't been there. All of it was worth it though, when they finally announced that his head (covered in hair) was finally out, shortly followed by the final call of "Its a boy!".



They held him up over the blue curtain for me to see, and I cried uncontrollably until he left the room with Christopher and the nurses. I don't remember much after that. I closed my eyes and replayed that very moment in my head over and over again for the next hour until he was finally in my arms. I'm in love. Charles Vincent was born on December 26th, at 10:15 am, 20 inches long, 7 pounds 10 ounces. And hes absolutely one hundred percent, perfect.



--------------------------------------------------------
If you have a flashback that you'd like to share with us, add your link to the list below. Make sure to post the link to this post in your blog as well. The more the merrier!

10 comments:

Devon December 25, 2009 at 5:57 AM  

thanks for sharing! what a special moment that was!!! i hope his first christmas is memorable for you all!!

Lauren December 25, 2009 at 8:41 AM  

Merry Christmas to all of you and Happy Birthday to Charlie!

Unknown December 25, 2009 at 9:40 AM  

So absolutely amazing that it has already been a year!! Those photos are beautiful and I'm glad you reposted so I could see them again! Happy Birthday to Charlie!

Hybrid Hopes December 25, 2009 at 10:56 AM  

Happy birth month, little one! We're glad you're here.

This Little Bird December 25, 2009 at 11:33 AM  

Absolutely perfect post!! It actually brought tears to my eyes. I love the moment when you first see and hold your baby in your arms and you are completely in love with this little human that had occupied your belly for the last 9 months...what a wonderful feeling... I only hope I can do it again sometime soon.

I have my post set up for next weeks Flashback which will be of my little lumps as well. I can't believe a year has gone by already...sometimes I wish life came with a pause button :)

Thanks for sharing tia.

iampalegreen December 25, 2009 at 4:49 PM  

I love it! He's such a cutie and has been right from the start!

Merry Christmas!

And Happy Birthday, little Charlie!

Hobocamp Crafts December 25, 2009 at 9:26 PM  

I can't believe it. Happy Birthday Little Charlie! I'm so happy we've been able to share this time together! Merry Christmas!

Christina December 25, 2009 at 10:06 PM  

So sweet to read that. :) I also had a c-section, but unplanned. I had a horrid, long labor before it hehe.

A very nice flashback Friday!!
Merry Christmas!

Happy Birthday Charlie!! :)

Kristen December 26, 2009 at 12:29 AM  

AWWWW so crazy that it's been a year. Seriously seems like it was just yesterday. All those fun trips to the hospital catching up on our QVC! ;-)

Anonymous,  December 26, 2009 at 4:09 PM  

Preshy baby!!!!!

Post a Comment