Home Chapter One Our Vegan Lifestyle Likes Comment-Free

week 20

Friday, December 11, 2009


I have some very faded, but wonderful memories from holidays that I've spent in California. I was born there, lived there for a few years (bay area), and then after we moved away to Washington, would return there by plane, or sometimes by awful 12 hour car ride, just about every year.


It was tradition for our family to have a huge Christmas Eve party. All of the aunts, uncles, cousins, everybody, would be in attendance. It would be hosted by a different relative each year. My favorite years, were when it was hosted at my Grams and Papa's house, since I knew it so well, but I still remember the peace and love felt even when in a unfamiliar location.

The tables would be filled with the same types of food every year. A meat and cheese platter, veggie platters (with so much dip you'd never be able to taste the actual vegetable), every kind of cracker ever made, there were always meatballs, nachos with at least a gallon of Costco bought cheese sauce, and those itty bitty little baby hot dogs that you can poke with a toothpick (you know the ones I'm talking about) in the most delicious sauce. Food, food, and more food. My family likes to eat.

Those are the strongest holiday memory. The parties, and the food.

Something else that I remember, in a blurry sort of excited way, is going and looking at Christmas lights with my Aunt Laurie (my Dad's sister). She would take me and my cousin down in her car, and I think we'd park it and walk along the street. I want to say that my parents might have come a time or two, but I don't remember any year specifically, other than the one photographed.

There was a particular street in Hayward that she took us to, where every house had lights and yard displays. I remember my cousin and I fighting earlier in the day, which we always did- being only 6 months apart in age, we were more like brother and sister, and my aunt threatening "I won't take you!", if we didn't drop it (so of course we listened). Somebody passed out mini candy canes that night, a neighborhood resident I think (?). It was the first time (that I remember at least), ever having a miniature one.

Lets just zoom in on the picture, shall we?


This photo brings to life every bit of recollection that I have from that night. It was the first time I had ever met my cousin's sister (she is the wee one waving, on the other side of the snow man). My cousin had an attitude, can you tell? Look at him, thinking hes all that. I hate to break it to you guy, but you're wearing a looney tunes shirt, sweat pants, and a Santa hat, haha! How cool can you be? And then theres me (ahem), wanting nothing more than to run and hide behind the giant cardboard statues that we were posing with. I hated having my picture taken, and I think I had refused to smile (most of that was due to my train wreck teeth that were later fixed, but not all the way, with some serious head gear), but of course let a smile slip out as soon as my aunt said "Oh smile Tia!". Its hard to refuse those words.

Wait.

Maybe we should zoom in a little bit more, to check out my awesome outfit.


...wow. Where should I start? I guess at the leggings.

When I was a kid, I didn't wear jeans. Ever. I didn't buy my first pair of jeans until I was in the 7th grade (really), and they were a size 20. My mom did everything to try to get me to wear them, but what she didn't understand was, there just wasn't a pair in the world that fit me right, which meant that zipping them up was more than just uncomfortable, it was painful. Enough about that, now how about that sweater that I've got on? I think that was actually my aunts sweater, that she had let me borrow for the occasion. I thought I looked hot. Did anybody else ever wear those thick puffy headbands? I must have had one in every color of the rainbow. I couldn't wear jeans, but by God I could wear headbands! And lets just leave the socks alone, ok? I don't feel like I need to explain why I'm wearing indigo on my feet, I think its pretty self explanatory, haha.

Buried underneath my insecurities though, are very happy memories of spending time with my aunt and cousin, surrounded by beautiful lights and decorations, celebrating peace and joy.

and I just have to say it again. Merry Christmas, everyone!

------------------------------------------------------
Do you have a flashback that you'd like to share with us? Post an old photograph on your blog, website, flickr, facebook, twitter- wherever, and then post your link on the list below. Make sure to link back to this post, so that more people can join in on the fun! If you want to stick with this weeks theme (which isn't mandatory, you can post whatever you want), feel free to dig around in your picture box for something "Christmas decoration" related. Can't wait to see what everyone comes up with!

14 comments:

Devon December 11, 2009 at 7:08 AM  

i would never have guessed that was you! i still can't really tell...

i have vivid memories of leggings and over size shirts... and definitely puffy headbands. no matter how many times i brushed my hair... it still looked like a rats nest--but i loved those headbands! (i would wear my leggings under my jeans a lot of times... jeans that were originally stone-washed... dyed pink by my mom... with holes in the knees. i thought i was so cool.)

LOL! thanks for sharing!

This Little Bird December 11, 2009 at 7:36 AM  

Love this weeks flashback... I have many a pictures of me wearing some of the tackiest clothes...you are not alone dear :) Your smile is so cute, you actually do look like your having a good time.

thanks for sharing Tia.

Fallon December 11, 2009 at 8:39 AM  

What a sweet memory :) I too look forward to seeing Christmas lights even today. Oh and your outfit, I think you raided my closest whilst I slept. Are those sturup (not sure if I spelled that right) leggings? Thats allll I wore with socks over them and big sweaters. Oh and the fat headbands were a daily wear for me too. I don't like change, but some change is good!

Oh Mandie December 11, 2009 at 8:55 AM  

I'm pretty sure that I had the exact same pair of leggings! I didn't wear jeans either Tia, now until my family moved to PA. I was in the 6th grade. I was all about the stretch pants back in those days. You're definatly not alone there!

Crafty Mama December 11, 2009 at 9:43 AM  

I couldn't wear headbands because they gave me headaches and knocked my glasses crooked, but I did rock the leggings many times with my beanpole legs and knobby knees.

Sometimes I wonder why my mom let me out of the house.

Sarah December 11, 2009 at 10:20 AM  

Yay! Merry Christmas!!!! Can I just say that I personally LOVE your socks.

And I love Friday Flashbacks.

And I so appreciate your comment on my post about my dad.

The Girl Made From Color December 11, 2009 at 10:33 AM  

My mom used to buy me matching outfit because I could never dress. I don't think I ever did the leggings, but who knows since i sure can't remember. Actually, some days I still don't know how to dress. (If you do go to my blog, read Dec. 4th's blog).

And I did my own flashback about my son's first Christmas 3 years ago. He had just gotten out of the hospital a day before and he was still very very small.

Alyssa S. December 11, 2009 at 11:44 AM  

I was about to say, the thing I love the MOST about that outfit are the socks. I love them :) I have a silly sock fetish...and I've never cared how out of place any of my socks were! I never did the puffy headbands, but I did do folded up bandanas in about 50 different colors.

Even though you didn't want to smile, I think it turned out really sweet.

Unknown December 11, 2009 at 11:52 AM  

Okay, your cousin is doing bunny ears on a wooden painted snow man... if that isn't cool, I don't know what is!!

Okay, your outfit looks just like mine, circa 1992, only that year I wore a sweatshirt (same size as yours - going over the leggings) with a GINORMUS cartoon reindeer with glued on ornaments on his antlers. I think you look pretty great, because I know I did back then!!

SillyLittleLady December 11, 2009 at 12:19 PM  

I think everyone wore leggings at that age, and I'm pretty sure my feet were all colors of the rainbow more often than just plain white ;)

iampalegreen December 11, 2009 at 1:06 PM  

THIS is awesome! I rocked that puffy headbands like none other! And you don't even want to see some of the stuff I wore. Actually, you probably do. The '80s had the BEST, most ridiculous outfits!!

Giggly December 11, 2009 at 2:58 PM  

LOL, I'm pretty sure I rocked that same outfit. ;-)

This is a sweet X-Mas flashback. Love it.

Christina December 11, 2009 at 4:53 PM  

hehe!!

I would like to participate more in this but I don't have many old photos on the computer, and I don't have a scanner. :\ If I can come up with something in some file, I will! :P

My pictures from around that age, eeeeks!

soul_searching_mama December 12, 2009 at 12:01 AM  

Don't feel too bad about your wardrobe choices...when I was a kid I was a TOTAL tomboy. I played sports, including football, hung out with guys, etc. My wardrobe basically consisted of a backwards Miami Dolphins cap, usually a Miami Dolphins jersey or sweatshirt (or alternately a basketball t-shirt or a purple t-shirt...which REALLY clashed with the green/orange Miami colors), jeans, and tennis shoes. Pretty much every day. Oh, and I had long hair - like almost to my knees (my mom wouldn't let me cut it until I was in the 5th grade). Yeah, a backwards cap with really really long Rapunzel hair - not exactly a fashion statement anyone really wants to see around. Unfortunately for me my parents have pictures of it. I'll have to post one on a future Flashback Friday post to make you feel better. Because seriously, this picture of you makes you look like a fashion model and me as a weird half-breed of Richard Simmons and a Red Neck male who wears a beer hat and sports a mullet. ;) You are very adorable in this picture, and trust me your smile is a great one!

Post a Comment