Home Chapter One Our Vegan Lifestyle Likes Comment-Free

Flashback Friday

Friday, September 11, 2009

I went back and forth on what photograph to use for this weeks Flashback Friday. Should I use the picture of me looking miserable at a random school dance that I went to all by myself (why didn't somebody tell me that silver lipstick was a no go?)? Or maybe I should use this one, I think I can see my first car, a 1976 white Pacer in the background! Or, wow. I could post-


Um... there are 9 more pages of that.

While sitting down to watch The Vampire Diaries (how appropriate), I found this old story that I had written in my 9th grade creative writing class, 10 years ago. I was so embarrassed while I was reading it, that I lifted my bare feet up off of the ground, curled my knees into my chest, and buried my face in my hands every time I got to the end of a page. Did I really write that?

I had to let Christopher read it. I didn't want to, but I knew he'd sneak a read as soon as I fell asleep anyways. After I handed him the stapled stack of paper (that Eleanore ripped apart within the first 10 seconds of it being in his hands) I excused myself to the kitchen to "remove the chocolate fudge from the oven", even though the timer had 20 minutes left on it (a recipe and pictures coming tomorrow, by the way). Every time he lol'd, my cheeks lit up with burning pressure. "Really, I was 15" I had to keep reminding myself.

I guess the first page isn't all that bad, but it along with the 9 pages of "After Daylight" that are piled under it...

Maybe I'll post another page in a couple of days? My face flushed just thinking about it.

I don't write my lowercase a's like that anymore, by the way. How silly.

8 comments:

Alyssa S. September 11, 2009 at 8:46 AM  

Aw, don't be embarrassed! OK, so maybe it's not Anne Rice, but hell, who is in high school? It shows you had an active, creative mind even back then. I have journal full of my poetry from late high school and all through college...it is so melodramatically angst ridden and proof that I had nothing really to be whining about when I was 19...but it also reminds me how free I was about writing what was on my mind. I don't let anyone read it because I find it embarrassing...so at least you are braver than I am.

Art Kitten September 11, 2009 at 8:51 AM  

Its not so bad, you should have seen the stuff I wrote when I was 15! This just looks like you were a fan of Buffy, which is pretty awesome.

Unknown September 11, 2009 at 9:41 AM  

OMG, I don't care what you say - that was the best thing ever. "Then, like a bolt of lightening, she threw her stake right into his muscle thick chest" Seriously, I love it.

And also, I'm nearly finished writing my first book, and when I look back at the pages I wrote a year ago, I'm absolutely mortified because I don't have being only 15 as an excuse for sucking so badly!

I want to read the rest of your story!

Amy September 11, 2009 at 11:37 AM  

Embarrassing or not, how fun to have a glimpse of your already creative 15 year old self. And fun for Christopher to get to see it too.

P.S. YOU HAD A PACER?? WERE WE SEPARATED AT BIRTH?!?

Anonymous,  September 11, 2009 at 3:02 PM  

You're braver than I am. I can't bring myself to look at the stuff I wrote in high school. It's painful!

And "muscle thick chest" is just a really awesome thing to say.

muffintopdesigns September 11, 2009 at 4:39 PM  

lolllllllllllllllllllll!!!

oh, i love ya, tia!!!!

xo

BeckyKay September 14, 2009 at 2:18 PM  

You're so brave! I'm not sure I'd be willing to post anything I wrote back then! :)

Post a Comment