Home Chapter One Our Vegan Lifestyle Likes Comment-Free

Chirp, Caw, Tweet

Saturday, September 5, 2009


Last weekend we made a trip to the craft store (actually, two craft stores) to pick up some blank wooden bird houses to paint for Christopher's sisters. Both of them have birthdays coming up (okay, so one of them was a week ago, way to be on top of things, Tia), and both are homeowners, so... bird houses seemed like a good gift giving direction to steer towards? It took just a few hours, between Christopher sanding them down, and my painting, to completely finish them. I set up a little work area on the dining room floor right under the ceiling fan, using a brown paper grocery bag as my place mat. I decided to make my main colors blue and purple, for no particular reason, and to make them match, somewhat. After the flowers and stripes were nice and dry, Christopher took them out into the garage and sprayed them with a clear coat or two, we went for a walk around the neighborhood with the kids, and by the time we got home they were ready to be wrapped up and sent off. We snuggled them up in pretty blue and purple tissue papers, topped them off with birthday tags, and then sent them off in their pretty pink boxes, one to Oregon, and one to Idaho.

Making things for people feels good.

6 comments:

Unknown September 5, 2009 at 9:47 AM  

I'm seriously going to have a Tia-only section of my craft room, to entice you to come over and craft with me :)

Cute bird houses!!

This Little Bird September 5, 2009 at 10:30 AM  

LOVE LOVE the colours. You have inspired me to make some bird houses for our yard...I will make a trip to Michaels soon. Thanks for sharing Tia :)

Tia Colleen September 5, 2009 at 2:39 PM  

Hahah Marisa, we'll have to get together a lot more when we have more space to play in. I'm really excited for your new house. Elie is going to love coming over.

Nessa- I really liked the bright colors too :) Yesss, you should def make some houses for your yard! The next place we live in, I'm going to make an entire bird house villiage, hehe.

Sleepy Moon Design September 5, 2009 at 6:23 PM  

I love the colours on the bird houses! I think I need a birdhouse, I just moved out to the burbs so there is actually wild like around me!

A bird house would be nice!

MM September 6, 2009 at 1:36 PM  

ok, i totally opened the package as soon as i got it, forgetting that my birthday is technically not 'til tuesday. i like to claim all of september as mine though ...

it's totally cute! thank you. i like that you made jess and i coordinating ones.

<3 gotta get ready for work, wanted to say thanks and admit to cheating! now i get to read your blog again though, which is also a birthday treat! <3

thanks, sis!
steph

lollywood September 7, 2009 at 1:58 AM  

i love the colors! that's such a creative and customizable gift to give someone! i might have to make one for my boyfriend's mom... great idea!

Post a Comment