Burning Never Smelt So Good

Wednesday, September 23, 2009


This is my very favorite candle. Christopher won it last year (isn't that kinda funny, hehe) from a blog giveaway that he had entered (for me, of course). Yesterday was the first day of fall, so I figured it was only appropriate to light it and fill the room with caramel and cinnamon, (which only made me want to bake) scents, right?

After a few hours of simmering, the house went from smelling like a pleasant cafe, and in a matter of seconds, turned into the inside of a burning oven, or at least that's what it smelt like. Since all of our smoke detectors are currently disassembled (another thing that mr-fix-it-airplane-mechanic hasn't gotten around to doing, *ahem*, love ya), I frantically started running around the house, trying to sniff my way into the fire. I ran up the stairs first, to make sure that the babies were alright (and they were), and then back down into the kitchen, double checking that both the oven and the stove were turned off. I hauled ass into the living room (literally, hauled ass, I went into paranoid mom must-save-the-children mode), made eye contact with every electrical outlet in sight, tugged on and tickled every wire behind both the entertainment center and computer, and then did all of the above, one more time.

After two rounds of running through the house with my nose in the air like a dog, unable to find anything that resembled the sight or smell of burning, I blew out the candle.I know that right now, some of you are saying "duh, Tia", I should have done that first, but when I put my nose up next to it, it still smelt like cinnamon (and I knew that as soon as I blew it out, I'd smell a different kind of burning from that, ya know). Then again, everything within 10 miles smelt like cinnamon, because the candle had been lit for 4 hours. Finally I shrugged my shoulders and sat down, with the weary acceptance that my house wasn't going to burn down.

I think my favorite candle still has at least one good burn left in it. But if not, I guess its for the better. It'll give one of my other candles some time in the spotlight. Perhaps pumpkin gingerbread? And to be fair, we still don't know if it was the candle that smelt like burning. It could have just been my neighbor's cooking creeping through the kitchen vent again.

3 comments:

ElegantSnobbery September 23, 2009 at 10:05 AM  

Okay, I probably shouldn't sulk about how I'm allergic to candles, considering that YOU are the one who feels the allergy pain on a minutely basis... but still. I'm allergic to scented candles. How sad is that? I want my house to smell like a cafe, too :(

AlyGatr September 23, 2009 at 1:59 PM  

I stocked up on some yummy Yankee Candle Pumpkin Spice tealights and a mini jar candle. I'm just waiting for...well, I'm not sure what, but I'll light them up one of these days. If candles get too smelly they upset my sinuses, but tealights are just the right size to enjoy the smell but not give me a raging sinus headache :)

Marie September 23, 2009 at 11:47 PM  

yeah, the burning you smelled was my husband making a quesadilla. correction: attempting to make.

after i got your text i laughed until the wee hours of the morning... but completely missed the window of appropriate texting time :( then my mom brain buried it all under diapers and "to do" lists, but the good news is, there is probably life left in your candle...

sorry about sending you into panic mode.

Post a Comment