Home Chapter One Our Vegan Lifestyle Likes Comment-Free

At 33 Weeks Pregnant: My Face Went Numb

Thursday, July 8, 2010

I've thought about writing this post for days now. Over a week, actually. I've tried grouping my words together, hoping to form something that I'd feel comfortable publishing, but every time I looked back on my writing, none of it made much sense. I didn't know what to say, about anything, to anybody. For the first time in my life, I was literally speechless. So while I don't want what I'm about to write seem completely over dramatic- ...it was just that.

The ambulance, the 10 firefighters standing in my living room, the thinking that I had lost my life- it was all very dramatic. I cried about it for days. Every time I went to explain what happened, my entire soul was overtaken with emotion, and I collapsed.

So I'm going to tell my story about Bell's Palsy, exactly how it happened.
This might be long.

(Taken the day after my attack. My cheek stayed pink for days.)

I've been experiencing heart palpitations for weeks now. I'll be minding my own business- cooking dinner, reading a picture book to the babies, or simply just sitting here- and out of nowhere, I'll start to feel a tingling/warming sensation fall over my upper arms. Next, I'll get light headed and dizzy, my whole body will break out into a sweat, my breath becomes out of reach, my heart pounds out of my chest- and all that I can do to ease my discomforts, is to lay down on my left side and wait for it to pass.

The first time that it happened, I was scared. I told Christopher "something is wrong with me". I called a nurse that night, who told me to go into labor and delivery to get monitored. I didn't follow her instructions right then, and instead waited for it to happen several more times. I went to the hospital the next afternoon.

I checked out fine. Vitals were fine. Baby was fine. They sent me home with the instructions of "when that happens, bare down like you're having a bowel movement, and it should jump start your heart, and regulate things".

Right now you might be giving your computer a funny look, one eyebrow raised, thinking "they wanted her to do what?". Yeah well, it didn't work. I tried. I tried several times. It didn't do anything. My heart continued to go crazy at random, my body continued to sweat, my head continued to swirl.

So lets fast forward to Wednesday night.
The night that my face went numb.


I was sitting in the exact position that I'm sitting in right now. On the couch, back leaning up against the stiff leopard print covered arm, typing away on my netbook the same way I do every night.

The babies had just gone to bed. Christopher was on the computer behind me. The TV may or may not have been on.

All of the sudden, that tingling/warming feeling that I usually feel in my arms- I started to feel it in my face.

I shook my head from side to side, as if I could shake it off. Surely my face wasn't really going numb, was it? I could feel it creeping down from my ear, which I've been able to hear my heartbeat through for weeks now, and then spreading out like something had spilled down half of my face.

I took my fingernails and scratched across both sides of my face. ...the left side was surely numb. I asked Christopher to come over and start touching my face, making sure not to tell me where he was touching. By this point a slight panic had set in, but I was still in control.

It wasn't so much the outside layer of skin, as much as it was inside of my face. Something in my face, was numb. Almost as if nova cain had been injected from my ear at a downward angle, if you can imagine that.

Christopher went back to his computer. I went back to mine.

I had previously asked on Twitter, when I first felt the sensation, if anybody knew why my face might be going numb. I know I'm going to sound lame, but- I'd be lost without my Twitter friends.

People were giving me suggestions of things to look up left and right, and while they were doing that, my face continued to go more and more numb. I decided to get up and walk around, thinking it was maybe a pinched nerve. I walked around the living room, I walked around the dining room. Into the bathroom, out of the bathroom, pacing pacing pacing. 10 minutes later, it hadn't gone away. From my left ear, to the corner of my mouth, all I felt was a tingling heat.

I sat back down on the couch, back against the arm, just like I had been sitting before (and just like I'm sitting now), and while I was opening up a window to search "Bell's Palsy" (suggested to me by several members of my beloved Twitter family), something changed.

It was almost as if someone was pouring a bucket of thick hot tar over my head. It hit me hard, but it was moving soooo slowly. Everything was moving slowly.

Something was very wrong.

I turned my head to the right, to tell Christopher that I didn't feel okay. Only, when I went to speak, nothing happened. My mouth wouldn't move. I tried again. MY MOUTH WOULDN'T MOVE. No words would come out. No sound. Nothing. Had somebody flipped off a switch in my brain? My mouth wouldn't move.

I started waving my arms, though I think only my right arm was cooperating, and he still didn't see me. He was knee deep in zombie Apocalypse reading material, I'm sure. And whos to blame him, he had no reason to anticipate my falling apart.

When I was still unable to get his attention, and still unable to speak, I started sobbing. This was about the time that complete panic set in. Well, he certainly heard that, and came running to me as quickly as he could. Upon looking me in the eyes, I could see a reflection of nothing but terror across his face. He repeatedly asked me "whats wrong, whats wrong?", and rather than answering him, I continued having what I can only explain as, a mini stroke.

By this point, half of my face was completely paralyzed. Yes, you read that right. Paralyzed. My eye, my mouth, everything. I wanted to say "whats happening to me?", but all that came out was "whuuu- whuuuu- whuuuuu-" and even that was a struggle. The sound of my own voice made my heart skip a beat. That wasn't my voice. That was the voice of a woman who was slipping away. My left arm was shaking when I tried to reach it to my husband, and then (or maybe at the same time, I don't remember)- I wet myself.

I had literally no control over my body.

I couldn't talk. I couldn't blink. I couldn't move.

...I was a vegetable.

I managed to stutter out the words "call 911", and that was it.

And when I say stutter out the words, I mean that quite literally. I worked very hard at getting any sound to escape my lips. I had to force it out, using every effort. I wanted to scream. I wanted to pound my fists into something, anything, and scream.

Do you want to know what was flashing through my mind, while all of this was happening? Because this is the part that scared me the most. This is the part that has me in tears right now, just looking back on it.

I thought that I would never be able to tell my husband and children, that I loved them, ever again. I thought that this was it for me. I thought that the inching paralysis was never going to stop, not until it poured itself over my entire body, and all that was left of me, was my beating heart trapped inside a useless broken body.

Can you imagine that? Can you imagine staring into your husbands terrified eyes, while he holds your shaking hands, and trying to tell him that you love him, but your body just won't let you?

All I could do was cry. I cried harder than I had ever cried in my life. I thought about my babies sleeping soundly upstairs, and how I'd never be able to hold them ever again. I thought about my unborn baby girl, and how she'd never get to hear my voice.

I made up songs for each of my kids. Songs that spell out their names. I sing these songs when I'm soothing them. Their own personal lullabies.

Evelyn, would never have a lullaby.

While in the middle of thinking that my life was slipping away from me and my family, things slowly started coming back. The sticky tar was backing up. I could speak again. Well, I could speak, had I been able to stop myself from crying. Both of my arms were working, I could blink- it was gone. It had all happened so fast, yet, it had lasted so long.

I can't even tell you what this did to me. It traumatized me. I just could not stop crying.

Was it over? Was it going to happen again? When was it going to happen again? What had just happened to me? Did I have a seizure? Did I have a stroke? Did I have a heart attack?

My face was still numb on the left side. From my ear to my mouth, the way that it had started out.

Firefighters started pouring into my living room, and before I knew it I was on a stretcher being loaded into an ambulance. An IV was placed into my arm, although I don't remember feeling it, and I continued to sob. I saw my husband wave at me from outside the back of the ambulance door (he had to stay behind with the kids at first, but quickly found somebody to come over so he could follow us in the Van), and I realized I was completely alone.

I've never been more scared in my life.

If it happened again, would that have been the last time I would have ever seen my husband? Would that be how he remembered me?

I tried to close my eyes and calm down. I held my phone tightly in my shaking hands, not sure if I was reading or responding to anything that buzzed through the screen, and I prayed. I prayed that God would let me stay with my children. I prayed that God would let my Evelyn have her lullaby. I prayed that God would erase those awful images of my paralyzed face and broken speech from my husband's memory. I prayed that he would still love me, even if the worst were to happen.

The ride to the hospital was long, and quiet. Too quiet. And it smelt like the inside of an airplane. I wanted to tell the paramedic that, but he didn't seem like the type of guy that would care, so I kept it to myself. I distracted myself with Evelyn's every kick "whats going on out there Mama?", she must have been wondering. I studied the medical supplies in the clear case next to me.

And then my lips started to tingle.

The tar... it was back. Not quite so hot this time, but it was spreading.

I told the paramedic, since he had asked me several times if I was still feeling numb, or if anything had changed, but he just replied with a simple "mmhmm". What a boring case, I must have been for him. By the time they had gotten to my house, I had regained full control of my body. By the time they had gotten there, I was just a crazy, crying pregnant lady.

It seemed like forever, that I waited in the ER room alone. The nurse was in and out briefly. They left the doors open, I guess in case it happened again, so they'd be able to see me. I was being watched, but nobody talked to me. On display. And alone.

Finally, there was Christopher. Trying so hard to keep his calm. Shortly after he came to my side, so did the doctor.

"Squeeze both of my fingers"- the same thing both the paramedics and the nurse had asked me to do. "Follow this light with your eyes, push this way against my hands with your feet,.Smile for me".

And then within only about 5 minutes of poking around at me, the doctor tells us "what you've got is called Bell's Palsy. You didn't have a stroke".

Wait... what? But... I couldn't speak. I couldn't... move. I was paralyzed. I wet myself, for God's sake!! Run tests, take blood... are you SURE?!

I was given a prescription for steroids, and released within half an hour. They didn't even so much as check for my baby's heartbeat.

I left the hospital in a daze. I floated out to the parking lot the way I imagine a ghost would. Kind of stumbling, unsure of what to do next. Christopher had pulled the car up, and opened the door for me. I sat down, and stared. I stared at nothing. Nothing but the whole ordeal playing over and over again in my head.

I really thought that I had suffered a stroke.

I had nothing to say. I kept reaching up and feeling my cheek with my fingers. It was still numb. I kept wiping the tears away from my eyes, because even though I wasn't aware of it, I was still crying. Had any of that really just happened?

When we got home, a friend that I hadn't talked to in nearly a year (I was honestly shocked to see her standing there in my house) had said that the babies didn't even stir. Relief. Oh how I wanted to rush up to them and hug them. I knew that if I did though, I'd simply drown them in my never ending stream of emotion. So instead, I paced. I didn't know what else to do. I kept looking over at the couch, not wanting to sit down there, because thats where my "episode" had happened.

Did the doctor not understand that I had lost complete control over my body? Not just my face? Or... was it really just an attack of "Bell's Palsy", topped with the mother of all panic attacks? These questions kept flashing through my head, mixed in with the thoughts of losing my family- that I just couldn't seem to shake.

I offered my friend (even though we haven't spoken and I was sure she hated me, she must be my friend, to come and watch my children for me, while being equally as pregnant as I am, in the middle of the night, on such short notice) some carrot cake, and waited for her husband to come pick her up. Once he got there, we carried on a nice conversation, about what I have no idea, because clearly I wasn't on the same planet as everybody else. From the outside, I probably did a good job of smiling and nodding, but on the inside, I just couldn't stop replaying all of the nights events in my head.

I tried to sedate myself with Tylenol PM, but ended up lying in bed wide awake for half of the night, with a numb face, and a scrambled brain.

The next day I learned that women in their 3rd trimester of pregnancy, are 3x more likely to develop Bell's Palsy, than a non pregnant woman. 24 hours ago, I had never even heard of Bell's Palsy.

Over the next couple of days I talked to several different people. Family, friends, doctors. While my ER diagnosis of "Bell's Palsy" didn't seem quite right to me, another family made diagnosis of "TIAs", did.

What is a TIA, you wonder (other than my name, har har)? Basically, its a mini stroke (which is what I had thought I was having to begin with), which apparently, is something that runs in my family. I've known about my family's history of "sticky blood" since I was a child, but never really understood what it meant. I asked my doctor if this could be a possibility for me, and he said that while it could, there was nothing that they could do for a pregnant woman to determine if that were the case.

After the initial face paralysis, I had several more "episodes". Nothing as severe as the one that happened that Wednesday night, but there have been many times where my brain just seems to shut itself off, all while my body seems to simultaneously freak out. The other day, while trying to edit pictures, I forgot what numbers were. I felt the tar fall down onto my head, and then I went blank. Numbers to me, were a foreign language.

I've finished taking a round of 21 steroids. I took the last pill today. My resting pulse and blood pressure are higher than they were 2 weeks ago, and I've lost weight.

My face is still numb. It comes and it goes as it pleases.

And while I just cried myself a hormonal river while writing this, I know that I am very lucky. I'm lucky to not have suffered an actual stroke. I'm lucky that my Bell's Palsy didn't leave me scarred and drooping, the way that it does for so many people that experience it. I'm lucky that so far, I've turned out to be just fine.

Hug your babies tonight, Mama's. Hug your husbands tonight, wives. Hug your best friend. Hug your Mother, hug your Father. Hug everyone that you love.


If you took the time to read this entire post, or even just part of it, thank you.

Please keep in mind that I wrote this post in hopes of it maybe helping another mother out there, doing the same frantic google searches that I did in the days following my attack.

For more information on Bell's Palsy during pregnancy, please click here.


Allison July 8, 2010 at 3:56 PM  

Thank you for sharing what must be a very, very emotional situation. Its good to know what you are going through (and that Bell's Palsy is so much more likely in 3rd trimester).


SkyWaitress July 8, 2010 at 3:58 PM  

You are very brave to post this. I'm sure others will benefit from your openness and honesty.

I'm glad you're ok.

R Montalban July 8, 2010 at 4:00 PM  

My goodness, I just read your whole post and I can't even begin to imagine the terror you went through, it is so so awful.

I so hope that your episodes become fainter and fainter and eventually stop altogether leaving you without the fear and instead the joy of being with your loved ones wrapped up in a blanket of hugs and kisses.

Anonymous,  July 8, 2010 at 4:02 PM  

I would not have known anything about Bell's Palsy had I not read this. I'm overwhelmed. How completely terrifying and blessed at the same time. I wish you a very peaceful and healthy rest of your pregnancy.

And yes, Twitter is a great source of info. Anything you need Team Twitter can get you an answer.

Heather S. July 8, 2010 at 4:02 PM  

I am so sorry. You had me crying with you. I hope you're okay and I'm glad you wrote this post.

Anonymous,  July 8, 2010 at 4:03 PM  

I am glad you posted this. I'm sorry it had to happen to you though, I can only imagine, through your story how scary that must have been. It would have been scary on any account but being pregnant only multiplies that fear. Big hugs to you... and I'll go hug my baby & hubby now too :)

Whitney =0) July 8, 2010 at 4:09 PM  

Oh my word Tia! This all sounds SO scary and unnerving! I am so sorry you've had to go through it all. I will keep praying for you & Evelyn. I hope that God gives you an immense peace about your life and that He wraps His comforting arms around you! ((Hugs))

Casey July 8, 2010 at 4:14 PM  

Tia, I'm so sorry you have to go through this. You are such a good mama & person. But I'm glad you took the time to write it. That's why I wrote about Luke's SPD- to help other mom's out there dealing with the same thing.

Annie Rose July 8, 2010 at 4:16 PM  

Oh, Tia! I am so sorry you had to experience that. It sounds completely horrible, and I can't even imagine what it would be like.

I'm so glad you were not home alone at the time and that you could get help right away.

You and your family are always in my thoughts, even though we don't know each other. :)


Unknown July 8, 2010 at 4:26 PM  

You are a brave woman, darling. I don't know if I could so eloquently put into words what happened.

You are just amazing.

The Doll July 8, 2010 at 4:29 PM  

That must have been terrifying. A lot of different people believe that Bell’s Palsy is a form of a TIA. It really just depends on the doctor and they still don’t know a lot about the condition. I hope you’re feeling better and the last few weeks wont be as hectic.

Unknown July 8, 2010 at 4:33 PM  

Tia...wow. I don't even know what to say besides how completely sorry I am that you are going through this. It sounds absolutely frightening but you display so much strength, it's amazing. Please keep us updated on this whole situation and we are going to keep you in our thoughts!

alliehallmarr July 8, 2010 at 4:47 PM  

i'm so glad you are okay, i was so worried throughout this entire post. i really hope that anyone suffering from this horribly scary condition finds this post. it's so easy to find the bad stories on google, this will offer people hope and help. again, i'm so so glad you are doing better.

sending tons of positive thoughts and love to you and your family.

They call me mommy... July 8, 2010 at 4:50 PM  
This comment has been removed by the author.
They call me mommy... July 8, 2010 at 4:53 PM  

Oh wow. I am speechless, I am crying for you and I have no idea what to say. You are such an amazing person Tia, life just won't cut you a break and you take it all and still come out on top being positive and strong. I am so sorry that this is happening to you! We will keep you and Evelyn and all of your beautiful little family in our prayers *hugs*

Mariah July 8, 2010 at 4:53 PM  

wow. what a horrible horrible ordeal, I'm glad to hear you are doing better and hope that you never have to go thru that again. i would (lovingly) suggest speaking with a naturopathic/homeopathic practioner to see if there are any natural remedies you can take while still pregnant to help with this condition. my love & prayers are with you~

beka July 8, 2010 at 5:00 PM  

Oh my word.
It made me cry.
Your story, everything.
Makes one remember to cherish everything that one has been blessed with....my gosh.
I'm still praying for you!

MariaSoleil July 8, 2010 at 5:08 PM  

:) Just a smile for you.

Chana@ Mamma Town July 8, 2010 at 5:35 PM  

Tia my darling,
This is horrible and beyond scary. I'm SO sorry for what you had to experience. BUT I want you to know, one of my very best friends suffered from Bells Palsy for an entire summer a few years ago. Same symptoms as you, she had no feeling in the side of her face, and her body. she drooled, and it seemed as though she had a stroke. Eventually... She could walk, and sort of talk again and we worked at a summer camp together during her entire episode. Her speech was delayed but she could carry on the best she knew how. After about 3 months, it just went away. Totaly dissapeared and she has never had an episode since. The doctors told her it could have been from stress possibly...but there really was no "reason" they could find. She was 23. She too had issues with her memory, but after a while, everything balanced out. Holy shit is seems scary though and I will PRAY for you that this doesn't happen again, and maybe after the baby is born, they can do some testing to help you discover the cause of it so you can avoid it again in the future. Again, another brave post that will surely help another person out there. Love you so much. I really do girl.

Amy July 8, 2010 at 6:54 PM  

Frick, Tia, that's awful. How horrifyingly scary. I don't even know what to say. I so glad you're okay and Evelyn is okay. (hugs)

Johanna July 8, 2010 at 6:58 PM  

Wow Tia, I'm so glad you are okay. I can't even imagine how terrifying that must have been and must still be. ...and how frustrating to have the ER doctor dismiss you like that.

I hope that the rest of this pregnancy can be smooth sailing. Thank you for sharing with us and stick around, we'd all miss you!

Unknown July 8, 2010 at 7:21 PM  

I literally cried when reading this... I would totally freak out if I couldnt hold or speak to my little boy. I coulnt even imagine. I am soo sorry this happened to you.

Colleen July 8, 2010 at 7:44 PM  

Wow... I hardly know what to say. On one hand, I wish none of this had ever happened to you, on the other hand, I'm glad that it was Bell's palsy and not something worse. It's all so scary. Rest up. Feel better. Do whatever it takes to make yourself okay both physically and emotionally.

Shawntae @ alittlekingandi July 8, 2010 at 7:53 PM  

Oh my hell! Oh my hell! That story was insane I may have cried for a minute.

I went numb at the last part of my pregnancy I couldnt feel both of my hands and it was the worst thing in this world. I work for a dentist and it happened there so I freaked out. They even stuck a needle in my finger and I didn't feel it.

I would have died if it happened to my face. No wonder you were terrified.

ER drs are the worst!! They always shoo you out the door.
I'm so glad you are okay!!

Anonymous,  July 8, 2010 at 8:12 PM  

And my posts make you cry!! You are one of the strongest women I have ever seen on here. This absolutely made me cry my eyes out...and learned to appreciate my family and son even more. I will pray for you..and hope that all heals for you.

CraftGirlAlli July 8, 2010 at 8:19 PM  

Wow Tia! I'm so glad that you are okay. How scary! I got sweaty palms while reading this. I can't imagine having to go through something like that! Thanks for sharing though, that takes courage!

Lacey July 8, 2010 at 8:35 PM  

I read the whole story and what a story it was! Oh Mama, my heart hurts for you. You are a brave soul and I know you will kick Mr. Palsy's ass!

Megan July 8, 2010 at 9:31 PM  

Wow, how incredibly scary. I'm sorry you had to go through that. I definitely teared up reading it and just thinking about it. You truly are Wonder Woman.

Jaros Designs July 8, 2010 at 9:31 PM  

I remember when you tweeted this happening, I was so worried about you and baby. Glad it wasn't a stroke, but take care of yourself. I hope this pregnancy gets easier for you!

April July 8, 2010 at 10:00 PM  

I'm fairly sure that was the most gut wrenching post I have EVER read. I can't even imagine anything like that happening, let alone while being pregnant. I have to say though, you are officially my hero. What a brave and strong woman you are. I think all your babies (here and on the way) are so VERY lucky to have you for a momma! I'm all about trying to find the positive, so I'm guessing that all this is a sign that Miss Evelyn is going to be a strong one! I can't wait to meet her! Love and hugs a billion times over!

April July 8, 2010 at 10:04 PM  

You are beautiful, brave and strong. Your babies are so lucky to have you for a momma. I'm gonna offer up the suggestion that all this is a sign that Miss Evelyn is gonna be a strong one just like her momma! Love and hugs a billion times over!

Rachel Elizabeth July 8, 2010 at 10:13 PM  

Oh my gosh! I'm happy you are all ok. How scary

Leslie July 8, 2010 at 10:27 PM  

oh Tia that is so scary. i am so sorry that you had to go through that. i am almost in tears just thinking about what you went through. I am much more scared about my current pregnancies than either of my other two. not sure why...just not as at ease.

Oh Mandie July 8, 2010 at 10:30 PM  

Oh Tia! I'm glad that you're doing better now. You're such a brave and strong woman and mother!! Thankfully Christoper was home when this happened!

Your entire family, particularly you and Evelyn, and in my prayers. God works in mysterious ways, and one thing that I'm sure of, despite all of the bumps in the road for you, is that he is with you, giving you the oppertunity to be a strong person.

And I know I'm half a country away, but if you ever need anything, even extra prayers and positive thoughts, just ask!

Much love :)

Anonymous,  July 8, 2010 at 10:40 PM  

the message you left on my page made me cry. you are helping me stay so positive about my husband's deployment. its a major blessing to me...so thank you : )

Chelsey - The Paper Mama July 8, 2010 at 11:45 PM  

That is so hard and scary. Wow, what a crazy day and week. I'm sorry that happened. It really made me tear up. I understand how hard it must have been to write. I hope it helps you feel better.

My face and throat went numb during my pregnancy. We went to the ER and they said I was fine. It went away and came back two more times. Was never that severe, but still confusing and scary when you have a little baby in your belly.

Anonymous,  July 9, 2010 at 1:54 AM  

I'm glad that you're doing better. I would have been so scared. It's a relief that you and Evelyn are alright. Stupid Bells.

Mary July 9, 2010 at 2:20 AM  

I am so sorry, it has to be so hard... But the good thing is, you know it is gonna end, right?

Alyssa S. July 9, 2010 at 5:43 AM  

If I could reach through the computer and wrap my arms around you, I would. I can't...can't even imagine how horrifically scary those moments during and the many moments after must have been. Thank you so much for digging down deep and sharing those thoughts and moments with everyone. As hard as I know it had to be, I have to believe that someone out there looking for answers will find this and feel at least a little comforted if they are experiencing the same symptoms.


Anonymous,  July 9, 2010 at 6:22 AM  

how terrifying! so sorry to hear you went through this, but at the same time glad that it was not a stroke, and that it was diagnosed quickly!
big hug to you,xo

Fallon July 9, 2010 at 7:53 AM  

OH dear. That's a terrible story. I think anyone in you situation would have paniced just the same. I'm glad you "ok" and I really hope that these episodes stop completely for you =)

Devon July 9, 2010 at 8:57 AM  

this gave me shivers and made me cry! i am so sorry you had to go through that! i can't even imagine! a couple of months ago, my husband had a bells palsy scare... but it was never anywhere close to what you went through (and he obviously wasn't pregnant)... and i know how scared we were... i can't imagine your trauma!! i hope it all calms down and you don't have any more episodes! thank you for sharing such a personal experience with us!

Mandie July 9, 2010 at 10:20 AM  

Oh gosh, Tia, how scary. My grandfather had Bell's Palsy about seven years ago - half his face was completely slack in all my wedding photos. He wasn't the kind of guy to share, though, so I don't know what exactly he went through.

I do know that your story is heart-wrenching, and I felt panicky just reading it. I'm glad you've come through ok and your babies get to hear their lullabies again tonight. <3

Anonymous,  July 9, 2010 at 10:33 AM  

This is one of the saddest scariest things I have ever read. Jeff and I will be adding you and your family to our prayer list at church.

I dont remember how old I was but I remember I was very young, my dad was in the hospital for like a week with Bells Palsy... half his body wouldnt function right at all.. he had to tape his eye closed. It eventually went away, and now he is a Celiac, just like you... makes me wonder if they may also be connected...

Take care, Tia

Hugs, Sarah

jeannie July 9, 2010 at 11:07 AM  

Tia, what an ordeal. I'm so glad you're doing a little better and hope that the rest of your pregnancy is uneventful! (love your blog)

Rogue Wild July 9, 2010 at 11:10 AM  

google is being naughty for me today and I just lost my comment *sigh*

your words brought tears to my eyes and all I could think was oh MY gosh over and over!! I wanted to hold your hand in the ambulance, just so you weren't alone and scared

I think you are amazing for sharing your story with such honesty and emotional depth ... I hope that it will help others that may go through the same experience or know someone who may

my ob never said anything about this happening when I was pregnant ... he also didn't tell my friend Nikki, who recommended him to me ... docs need to realize & remember that patients NEED to know things and we actually LIKE having all the info of the what ifs, maybes and could bes

I don't know where you and Chris stand on filing complaints, but I'd be filing one on the doctors of that 1st visit that told you bear down ... I thought seriously?? that is what they said?? seriously?!!?

you have a gift with words, with being able to convey emotions into the story that pulls the reader in next to you ... maybe sharing your story is your calling, helping people along the way

you and your family are in my thoughts throughout the days!! big hugs my friend!!

The Rantings of a Drama Queen's Mum July 9, 2010 at 2:46 PM  

That is so scary. I know a few woman who have had Bells palsy when they were preg. My Dad also had it for 2 or 3 months.

Christina July 9, 2010 at 8:47 PM  

You've been in my prayers! It indeed sounds like it was a very traumatic experience and I am sooo sorry you went through that. I really hope you won't have that kind of experience again. :( Big hugs to you!

Erin M July 10, 2010 at 12:52 PM  

Please, please, PLEASE ask your OB to run a clotting panel. If they are unsure of how to interpret the results, they can refer you to a high risk OB or to a hematologist. "sticky blood" can be treated, even in pregnancy. I have to use blood thinners while pregnant.

I had a bout of palsy while pregnant with #3. I lost control of my arms and dropped my then 3 yr old. Mine was discovered to be a very rare side effect of medication

scary as hell.

be well.

Sarah July 11, 2010 at 4:13 PM  

FINALLY got a chance to read this! That is some scary, crazy shit! I'm so glad you're ok but I even begin to think of how shitty that must have felt for you! See? aren't you glad you reopened the comments? look at all that support and love. ;)


Danielle @ We Have It All July 11, 2010 at 7:36 PM  

Hi Tia. I was on another one of your posts... and realized that I started reading this one the other day but didn't finish. I just want you to know how sorry I am that this is happening to you. I can't imagine it in a million years. I cried through the last half of this post. Having this go on & not be able to speak... Oh my! I will be praying for you,

Johanna July 12, 2010 at 8:46 AM  

Tia- I am so sorry to hear about this horrible ordeal. I had tears streaming down my face just reading your story. I can only imagine that you and Christopher (but especially you) were absolutely terrified.
I hope that you get the answers that you are seeking.
Much love to you....thinking of you as you enter the home stretch with Evelyn.

BeckyKay July 12, 2010 at 2:27 PM  

Bless your heart, Tia!! There is NOTHING scarier than thinking something is up with your BRAIN! I have suffered from migraines since I was 12 years old. They're not as bad as they used to be, but they do sometimes bring on stroke-like symptoms for me - numbness, difficulty speaking, etc. It's horrifying! I'm so thankful you were able to get it under control and I pray the rest of your pregnancy is uneventful! **lots and lots of hugs**

emily July 12, 2010 at 4:09 PM  

So scary - thank you for sharing! So glad you're ok.

lucille July 12, 2010 at 5:25 PM  

That sounds terrifying. I am so sorry you had to go through that and will keep you in my thoughts tonight. I know it doesn't mean much right now but, *hug*.

Adriana July 12, 2010 at 8:48 PM  

i read every word. (even tho i ahd to do it in segments thanks to my husbands overtime and hendrixs need for speed). I am so sorry you had to go through all this but thank you for sharing. I cant imagine how scary this must have been! Im glad to hear that you are ok.

Memoirs of a Mental Mind July 20, 2010 at 2:17 PM  

Wow hon...this story made me cry...I'm so sorry that this has happened to you...it's an awful I wouldn't wish on any mother..especially a pregnant one..I will pray for you, I hope things just get better day by day for you. I have heard that Bells can disappear after awhile so please keep your hope.

Xo Xo Xo

Jenny Q

D January 15, 2011 at 10:13 AM  

you don't know me, but I had bells palsy 2 days after having my daughter! I know exactly how you felt! *Hugs*

Post a Comment